• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accidentally Showing off my leg hair when seated?

Brandons

Reaction score
When stood up straight my pants are a great length. All of them range from no break (barely touching the top of my shoe) to a full break. For about 50 percent of my pants when I have a seat the leg opening rises on my leg significantly (see photo). I usually wear crew socks (shorter then half calf but much longer then ankle). But despite the fact that my socks are fairly long my pants rise above them especially if I cross a leg. I own many different pairs of pants of different fabrics, fits, and types ect. Why does this happen way more on some pants than others, and how can I reduce or eliminate this. Is this normal to happen to this extreme of an extent? Does it have anything to do with fitment?

Attachments

• 20240111_175553.jpg
    20240111_175553.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 443
  • 20240111_175506.jpg
    20240111_175506.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 441

Brandons

Reaction score
Well thank you for the reply, but I have to admit I was hoping there would be a different solution. I live in a hot climate so I prefer not to wear over the calf.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In hot climates the alternative would be loafers and no socks (or loafer socks that aren't visible). I know some people don't like the look, but I guess if I had to choose, I'd prefer that look to crew socks.

St1X

Reaction score
In hot climates the alternative would be loafers and no socks (or loafer socks that aren't visible). I know some people don't like the look, but I guess if I had to choose, I'd prefer that look to crew socks.
This! Classic men's style was born and refined in cold UK. You can't blindly apply the same rules and approaches to a hot climate countries. Look at Italians for an inspiration

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Or shave your legs. No leg hair to see. Problem solved!

But seriously embrace the loafer/no socks look or get longer socks.

St1X

Reaction score
Or shave your legs. No leg hair to see. Problem solved!

But seriously embrace the loafer/no socks look or get longer socks.
Shaving legs is absolutely the worst. One should trim legs instead. But it's not about leg hair in this case, it's about breaking the look with a vertical stripe of skin that peaks in between your socks and the bottom of your pants

Brandons

Reaction score
The leg hair isn't the actual issue. I don't like the look of no socks very much. So if there is really no way to prevent the rising then I guess I would like to try to get away with a sock that is slightly shorter than over the calf, maybe one that ends more around the middle of my calf. I have seen some extremely thin socks. So thin you can see through them leg hair and all, but I would imagine they get holes in them very easily and don't do a good job of stopping sweat from getting in your shoes.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worn OTC socks in all temperatures. It is the only solution to the problem you describe. Indeed, with dress trousers or suits, OTC are the only sort of socks you should be wearing.

jeremygo

Reaction score
You can find nice OTC socks that wear reasonably cool. I've bought quite a few from Sid Mashburn (90% wool, 10% nylon I think) in navy, olive, black, etc. and worn them in hot summer weather with no real issue.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No excuse for not wearing over the calf socks, the only option a gentleman has. I wear preferably wool socks, also in summer.

I'd also agree.

Socks are meant to be worn higher up the leg in order to hide the inevitable show of bare leg under one's trousers. It does look really dumb to show bare leg in a suit, and given as men we are obliged to pull up the pants leg to sit down, it is pretty much inevitable we're going to show off our legs if you don't have long enough socks.

I'd say you need at least 6 inches above the ankle at a minimum.

I call it the baseball rule. My socks should look like I'm Lou Gehrig:

Lou-Gehrig-1939.jpg

That being said, if you are already wearing bare feet in your loafers or whatever in the summer, then showing bare leg is absolutely in line with that. But honestly? I hate the whole bare feet in loafers look, but then again, I'm not from Miami.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to dislike OTC socks but gravitated toward them for similar reasons as the OP. I actually love them now. I would say buy good quality socks and they should not be uncomfortable (I manage perfectly well wearing them through DC summers). My socks are $20-35 (wool/nylon blend) and are comfortable year round.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd also agree.

Socks are meant to be worn higher up the leg in order to hide the inevitable show of bare leg under one's trousers. It does look really dumb to show bare leg in a suit, and given as men we are obliged to pull up the pants leg to sit down, it is pretty much inevitable we're going to show off our legs if you don't have long enough socks.

I'd say you need at least 6 inches above the ankle at a minimum.

I call it the baseball rule. My socks should look like I'm Lou Gehrig:

Lou-Gehrig-1939.jpg

That being said, if you are already wearing bare feet in your loafers or whatever in the summer, then showing bare leg is absolutely in line with that. But honestly? I hate the whole bare feet in loafers look, but then again, I'm not from Miami.
Thank you, JFWR, for giving me a new fashion lodestar: "What would Lou Gehrig do (re: hosiery)?"
The picture makes another point though. Prior to the 19th century adoption of trousers, Western gentlemen generally wore breeches with hose, which showed their calves and ankles to potential advantage.

A well turned ankle and shapely, muscular, calf, was a secondary sexual characteristic, and considered comely in men as well as in women. One needs the continuous line of OTC socks to convey that effect today.

So, if one's love life is a bit wanting; maybe, just maybe, your choice of hose has something to do with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads