• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Ennius

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

I want to get a green Hober. Any suggestions on good ones/shades of green? I work in finance so I cannot go too colorful.

Thanks

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Gents,

I want to get a green Hober.  Any suggestions on good ones/shades of green?  I work in finance so I cannot go too colorful.

Thanks 

I'm in finance and don't mind some color...:devil:

Anyway, David offers a number of forest green and olive green if bottle green isn't your thing. Here are forest green grenadine grossa and diamond weave from earlier this year.

dresden

Reaction score
It's the first suit I've gotten since moving here. New city, new tailor. Made in Italy through Amsterdam. MTM by Scuderi. Mohair and wool. I'm pretty happy with it.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure somewhere in the 427 pages of this thread is the answer to my question...but that's a lot pages to look through. :) Does anyone own both the purple and the dark purple/black grenadine grossas and could comment on which they prefer or post IRL pics of them? I yearn for a purple tie but the shades choices have me flummoxed.

mrpickles82

Reaction score

I'm sure somewhere in the 427 pages of this thread is the answer to my question...but that's a lot pages to look through.  :)  Does anyone own both the purple and the dark purple/black grenadine grossas and could comment on which they prefer or post IRL pics of them?  I yearn for a purple tie but the shades choices have me flummoxed.

I would personally order some swatches. Nothing beats having the material in your hand

BamaBubba

Reaction score
I have both. The purple is true purple, and much brighter and more vivid than you can tell on the Hober website, or in photos for that matter. The dark purple/black is truly awesome, and can be worn comfortably with suits and sport coats. I wear the purple/black far more than the purple. In fact, the true purple is almost too much.

For what it's worth, I have more than 100 Hober ties, and have been ordering them since 2008 or 2009. The true purple gren grossa was one of about 8 or so grenadines (all grossa) I ordered back in 2008/9. When the dark purple/black came out a couple of years later, I ordered it because I was a bit uncomfortable wearing the true purple due to its brightness. The dark purple/black hit the spot right on.

Finally, I have lots of purple and purplish ties, and the dark purple/black Hober is the one I like the most. Very classy.

Hope that helps.

BamaBubba

Reaction score
PP's photos are one of the reasons for my continuing addiction to Hober ties, and now pocket squares. His photos are awesome. It is and has been very nice of him to post photos and comments.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent info guys. Thank you. I'm thinking the purple/black would be best for my uses. Now the other real question of what wool or wool blend tie to also purchase.
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads