• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

semperexcelsius

Reaction score
+1. I initially thought that Semper meant a tie bar. My use for the back side tie keeper is no nonexistent that it didn't even register while reading the post lol.
I probably shouldn't use the keeper, and I don't when I think about it, but I used them for so long that putting the skinny end through them is pretty much automatic.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(referring to PP's grey on grey paisley tie from a few posts above - it doesn't seem to be quoted)

It is a rather striking tie (and suit). Question: what do people in a professional environment think of it? Do you get any comments or different attention?

I have some ties with big patterns like this but always avoided wearing them as they seemed too... casual? for an office environment.

Last edited:

suitntieguy

Reaction score

(referring to PP's grey on grey paisley tie from a few posts above - it doesn't seem to be quoted)

It is a rather striking tie (and suit). Question: what do people in a professional environment think of it? Do you get any comments or different attention?

I have some ties with big patterns like this but always avoided wearing them as they seemed too... casual? for an office environment. 

I work in a very conservative wealth management firm. It's a nice tie but I couldn't wear that. Not that anyone would say anything and I don't think others at the office or clients would even notice but I MUST always be in conservative business dress and impeccably so. A lot of neat patterns and solid ties. In my business they (fill in the blank) want to see conservative but with attention to detail, slightly understated while somehow still looking sharp. If I am meeting with someone over 70 I wear a striped tie on white shirt. Summer I can get a way with a paisley in summer colors. Just my 2 cents

Contango

Reaction score
I work in a moderately conservative stockbroking/wealth management firm so it sounds like I could get away with a bit more than @suitntieguy, and there's no chance I would wear that. I'm far less concerned about what people in the office would think than the impression on clients, whereby I want boring and conservative - I don't want them thinking I'll be getting too creative with their investments. A lot of dark pindot ties (navy and dark red) and solids for me. Thinking of adding some Macclesfield neats (again in navy or dark red).

suitntieguy

Reaction score

I work in a moderately conservative stockbroking/wealth management firm so it sounds like I could get away with a bit more than @suitntieguy, and there's no chance I would wear that. I'm far less concerned about what people in the office would think than the impression on clients, whereby I want boring and conservative - I don't want them thinking I'll be getting too creative with their investments. A lot of dark pindot ties (navy and dark red) and solids for me. Thinking of adding some Macclesfield neats (again in navy or dark red).

we think a like. I do wear more purple and pink though (neats and solids of course) but 50% of my ties are navy/blue. Red is not a great color for me for some reason. Don't ask me why. The only reason I am concerned about what the office thinks is that I am a partner of the firm and need to set the tone. 85% of shirts are FC. When a younger advisor wears something they shouldn't I do say something. It is for their own good. Kids dressing like they own the place, inappropriate shoe choices are the biggest violations and of course the boxed shirt and tie sets, oy vay! They know if they look like a teller from Chase bank I will b!t@h slap em.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PP - Sorry for the sidebar but I'm intrigued by the baseball in the background of your recent pics. What's its story?

I was at a Braves game a few weeks ago and "caught" a foul ball and decided to put it on the shelf. I say "caught" because it really bounced off my wrist but I was able to snag it once it hit ground. :)

LynahFaithful

Reaction score

I was at a Braves game a few weeks ago and "caught" a foul ball and decided to put it on the shelf. I say "caught" because it really bounced off my wrist but I was able to snag it once it hit ground. :)

Cool story PP. Thanks for sharing. I assume no Hobers were "injured" during the "catch" and that your wrist has recovered.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's Hober is a repeat and is the bitter chocolate grenadine fina (6-fold construction). Happy Monday everyone!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads