• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

pazzion

Reaction score
Pazzion
That's really helpful! I'm toying with untipped but have been unsure of the transparency at the tip of the blade. With the large weave it is fairly noticeable?

The midnight seems to me obviously blue in these pics. Is that true for those who have just midnight grossa/prometeo without stripes? I just want it distinguishable from black by casual observer.

Thanks for that!

It's really noticeable in my picture since there's nothing behind the ties. But when you were it it's not overly so. Sure, you notice it when you look down and see the ground through the blade when it's moving around if you're like walking. But it's not really something that draws the attention of others if they're not aware of it. Though I find it to be a really nice touch, especially since Hober's edges are beautifully hand rolled.

Edit: what could be of interest is also that the dark chocolate fina is a lightly lined 6-fold, the midnight blue grossa is an unlined 7-fold and the black prometeo is a lined 4-fold. The midnight blue is rather un-see-through even though it's also untipped. The navy piccola is a lined 4-fold.

Here's a better comparison between the midnight blue and black if the midnight blue isn't in direct sunlight/strong light. This picture shows the color when the light bounces off a light surface. I don't know if the solid midnight blue grenadines differ in color from this one though.

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's really noticeable in my picture since there's nothing behind the ties. But when you were it it's not overly so. Sure, you notice it when you look down and see the ground through the blade when it's moving around if you're like walking. But it's not really something that draws the attention of others if they're not aware of it. Though I find it to be a really nice touch, especially since Hober's edges are beautifully hand rolled.

Edit: what could be of interest is also that the dark chocolate fina is a lightly lined 6-fold, the midnight blue grossa is an unlined 7-fold and the black prometeo is a lined 4-fold. The midnight blue is rather un-see-through even though it's also untipped. The navy piccola is a lined 4-fold.

Here's a better comparison between the midnight blue and black if the midnight blue isn't in direct sunlight/strong light. This picture shows the color when the light bounces off a light surface. I don't know if the solid midnight blue grenadines differ in color from this one though.

This gets better!

Since you've had the ties constructed in so many ways, any thoughts about drape and also how it knots, dimples (and holds its dimple), recovers after a day's wear?

My impression is that David prefers a lining. In talking to him about the knot I want, he's suggested a thicker lining which is counterintuitive to me, but he's the expert. If I had to guess, it might be that the thicker lining holds the knot better and allows more ease in dimpling (since there's more structure to the tie)?

I'm really surprised that the midnight is less transparent as the brown on the left despite same weave! But they vary in their transparency. I do like the untipped/handrolled edges idea, but waver on transparency (more that in a few years, I will wish it less transparent).

Also: I can't tell the prometeo apart from the grossa, though on the website, they look different.

Great stuff, thanks for your thoughts.

Edit: What I've tentatively decided on is a self-tipped, four-fold, with thicker lining (as per David's advice) for the first one. I will let him perform his magic in getting a tie that knots and dimples like this.

I feel like the knot is slightly more elongated than what I think I'm seeing in the pics above (e.g.in Ryan Markham's grenadine above which I think is the standard construction?). It's a bit more slender at the bottom of the knot. David also suggests less of a taper to achieve the effect.

I hope folks will forgive a non-Hober tie in the thread. But will post pics of my first Hober when it arrives and compare.

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks David for that! Very informative...as I am discovering, it is nice to learn about these things, to try to apply one's acquired knowledge, but in the end also to let you work your magic as evidenced by this tnread (and for me, soon!).

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No interlinings - some gentlemen prefer no interlinings and that is fine if you tend to be comfortable with ties that wrinkle more and have less structure and less weight.

Unlined ties also tend to take more skill to do correctly so some gentlemen enjoy unlined ties because of the skill that goes into making them.
David: would you say that lack of interlining will also be a significant factor in how the tie knots? For example, if it holds a dimple throughout the course of a day? I think I understand less structure and weight.

I suppose on average, something to consider for more light, summery ties (e.g. linen wrinkles aside and rough silk). I've also wondered if unlined is preferable for wool ties, which I find tend to tie thicker knots than I would like...i.e. to reduce the thickness of the knot. Perhaps the better way to do it is to taper a bit more at the site of the knot?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone know if the other blues (dark navy, etc) are going to be restocked? I want a dark blue tie, but I've heard midnight blue is almost black, and navy has an indigo//brighter tint to it (in comparison to a normal navy)

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone know if the other blues (dark navy, etc) are going to be restocked? I want a dark blue tie, but I've heard midnight blue is almost black, and navy has an indigo//brighter tint to it (in comparison to a normal navy)

Swatches...though see the last post last page with pics of grenadines. Email David or check the bianchi weaves (e.g. Prometeo) which look largely indistinguishable.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure about the restocking, but I imagine David will let you know of any plans if you PM or email him. Wrt the midnight blue and navy here are pics of the different grenadine swatches in the two colors. The colors in the pics are pretty close to IRL. I have the grossa and fina in navy and I think they are fairly dark.

Navy:

Midnight blue:

Last edited:

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A page or two back, I saw a reference to a "dark navy" grossa. My understanding is there is no such animal by that name. There is "navy" (#10) and "midnight blue" (#8).

But in checking to see if I remembered correctly, I noticed something odd for the first time: there is no grossa designated #9. First I thought, "well, something is simply out of stock." No, despite being out of stock, bitter chocolate, e.g., is still listed among the colors. So that's not it.

So, I'm wondering if #9 has been "retired" among the grossas, like Ted Williams' number, and if so, what color was it? (There's no #9 fina either).

By the way #10 grossa is back in stock (though not quite as much as there was a few minutes ago.
smile.gif

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ There used to be "dark navy" fina and grossa. These are the missing #9s, I believe. If you search through this thread, you'll find discussion about it. Around a year ago, someone posted pics of "navy" and "dark navy" fina ties next to each other, but there was no discernible difference. Shortly after, the superfluous color was removed from the Hober website.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yeah. I'd guess that whatever minimal difference existed between the fabrics, it was not sufficient for it to make sense to restock and it was just removed.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure about the restocking, but I imagine David will let you know of any plans if you PM or email him. Wrt the midnight blue and navy here are pics of the different grenadine swatches in the two colors. The colors in the pics are pretty close to IRL. I have the grossa and fina in navy and I think they are fairly dark.

Navy:

Midnight blue:
Thanks PPanther

The prometeo looks bluer than the grossa (bottom swatches). But I'll wait for my swatches to be sure.

Last edited:

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Dark chocolate piccola, navy fina, midnight blue grossa and black prometeo. This picture also (at least on my screen) shows the navy fina and midnight blue grossa colors really well. The dark chocolate is a bit browner IRL, even though it seems a bit reddish in the pictures.
Great pics and awesome ties. :nodding: I must say though, I never would have guessed that's the navy fina in the spoilered pic. It looks much lighter than navy on my monitor and phone. Looks like a light royal blue and nothing close to the actual color of the fabric in real life. Just goes to show that YMMV, and ordering swatches is probably a good idea (though I never have bothered).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads