• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

cold war painter

Reaction score
The light's all wrong for photos, but just took delivery of two new ties for winter: black challis wool and midnight blue cashmere.

cold war painter

Reaction score
Midnight cashmere this afternoon:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Argh. I was waiting for my new credit card to arrive (in 2-3 days) to order a tie made from this cloth, and now it's out of stock (yesterday there was enough for "2 item(s)")
frown.gif

I hope it's available again soon....

Last edited:

bullethead

Reaction score
^ David said that fabric will be restocked. FWIW, I ordered that cloth in a bow before thanksgiving-it appeared to be in stock until david confirmed it wasn't.

I have it in navy which is also very nice

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Argh. I was waiting for my new credit card to arrive (in 2-3 days) to order a tie made from this cloth, and now it's out of stock (yesterday there was enough for "2 item(s)") :(

I hope it's available again soon....

Love that fabric, also have my eye on a tie made from it...

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Just ordered my first two ties from sam hober, a dark navy satin and a ligh-coppery macclesfield houndstooth pattern.

I can't speak to the quality until I receive the goods, but I can chime in and agree with the numerous praises of David's patience and excellent customer service.

Eagerly awaiting the ties, and will add pictures and comments when they arrive.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
David's the best. Looking forward to taking delivery of my next tie from "Thailand." Makes perfect sense to my kids --

The Silverfox

Reaction score
David, any plans on expanding the scarf range to silk/cashmere reversibles?

One such type by Drake's

I live in Norway, so while beautiful, I fear a pure silk scarf would be the death of me.

The Silverfox

Reaction score
I'll admit I've never worn a silk scarf in a blizzard, but what I imagined when I said it was as you described, a thin scarf from smooth woven silk which for some reason doesn't sound particularly warm to me. I suppose the weight is probably the biggest issue, but also smooth surfaces tend to be more heat conductive than fuzzy ones. The wind resistance I can easily imagine, which is why it sounds so wonderfully comfortable with fuzzy soft cashmere on one side and smooth tightly woven silk on the other.

How heavy is the silk used in your silk scarves, and what construction do you use, tubular? Are the ends fringed? How cold was it in Denver when you tried yours out. Think it's about -15c (+5f) here now.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind long underwear has traditionally been made from silk too. Silk definitely has some decent warmth-retaining characteristics.

Al in Philly

Reaction score
Just placed the order for my wedding tie gentlemen. I went with the wedding/formal silk #1. I also got myself a Carlo Riva white line/cotton square for the wedding. it took me a while to order the tie as I got swatches and made the decision with my fiance.

To celebrate the occasion, I ordered a bitter chocolate piccola for myself. Both ties I ordered as 7-fold, untipped, hand rolled edges.

Needless to say I'm excited.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I will post photos when they arrive!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads