• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

10 Ugliest Buildings in the World

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TBH, I really liked this:
schaulin.jpg

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "academic quadrangle" of my alma mater. Yea or nay?
sfu_aq_04.jpg
display_talesfromthepondaqpondcorner.jpg
SFU-AQ.jpg
sfu-aq.jpg

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
The "academic quadrangle" of my alma mater. Yea or nay?

sfu_aq_04.jpg

display_talesfromthepondaqpondcorner.jpg

SFU-AQ.jpg

sfu-aq.jpg

Mussolini/ish...

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
sfu-aq.jpg

This toes the line right between oppressive brutalism and serene, monumental modernism. It's very close to being both great and terrible. The precision and abundance of the landscaping makes up for the ugliness of the actual building. Either way, it has a really haunting presence and good spaces and that's interesting enough for me to give it cautious approval. I would really like to go there around twilight when nobody is there.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's awesome. Really like the aerial haviness of it. Love all the stairs and landscaping - that footbridge is cool too.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that's absolutely gorgeous. Is that UBC's campus? Although many of the buildings are dated, I think it's built on one of the most gorgeous pieces of land one can imagine.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I think that's absolutely gorgeous. Is that UBC's campus? Although many of the buildings are dated, I think it's built on one of the most gorgeous pieces of land one can imagine.

Simon Fraser University, UBC's cross-town rival.

Interesting input guys, though most students who went there (at least in my interaction) hated it and thought it looked depressing (which it definitely can during our grey rainy Fall/Winter), I never really could decide whether I liked it or not. I definitely thought it was a nice place to be on a clear summer day as shown in the pictures.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I usually don't like architecture like this, but what makes me really like this is the lifting of the building off the ground, thus making it airy and not oppressive. I really like the walkway/bridge across the water and its associated steps.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I think this is more what you were going for. The Netsch library at Northwestern. You don't even get the sense of how awful it is until you are in its presence.
nKiSUsnKDFLK0sznZwWRUc.jpg
Here is its counterpart at U Chicago
Regenstein_Library_thumb.jpg

bassmanpatsfan18

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
I think this is more what you were going for. The Netsch library at Northwestern. You don't even get the sense of how awful it is until you are in its presence.

+1 on the Northwestern Library. It's actually just called University Library now. I'm a Northwestern student and I can't stand the sight of that thing.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Getting past it and seeing Lake Michigan is like that scene at the end of the third Matrix movie where Neo and Trinity shoot up over the clouds and she sees the sky for the first time.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai

What is about university libraries that so many of them are monstrosities? University of San Diego:
ucsd_library.jpg
Yale - it's much better from inside all of those squares are translucent alabaster, but it's truly hideous from the outside:
Yale%20-%20Beineke%20Rare%20Book%20Library.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads