• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

ghh923

Reaction score
IMG_9858.jpeg

sartoria vacua

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
update on the nmwa ‘22 bal inspired tony s custom overshirt.

IMG_6214.jpeg

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought a couple of Jamieson's, including the Duke reverse because, just, obvsly. Just double checking that your size listing is their normal sizing convention where a 40" on their attached label has a L on the sweaters tag, and a 42" has an XL on the tag, and when you say "size up" you are referring to the letter on the tag and not from my normal Jamieson's size?

jaaz16

Reaction score
Bought a couple of Jamieson's, including the Duke reverse because, just, obvsly. Just double checking that your size listing is their normal sizing convention where a 40" on their attached label has a L on the sweaters tag, and a 42" has an XL on the tag, and when you say "size up" you are referring to the letter on the tag and not from my normal Jamieson's size?
To try and answer your question in a different way: My 42 in Jamieson's is pretty much spot on equivalent to a Medium "classic" fit from J.Press (and relatively comparable to a 40 in O'Connells). In my case, I like my shetlands to look like JFK wore his, where they fold and rumple around the arms and fold over the bottom hem, so a 42="Medium".

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To try and answer your question in a different way: My 42 in Jamieson's is pretty much spot on equivalent to a Medium "classic" fit from J.Press (and relatively comparable to a 40 in O'Connells). In my case, I like my shetlands to look like JFK wore his, where they fold and rumple around the arms and fold over the bottom hem, so a 42="Medium".

Great feedback, though I have several Jamieson's, so I'm familiar with how I like them to fit standardly. For me the 42 (labeled on the attached tag) does fit how you say, but if you look at the neck tag, it probably says that sweater is an XL. (Though I personally find the classic medium at J Press has sleeves a bit too short for me, and the large unfortunately not closed enough at the waist).

All I'm checking is that NMWA didn't "override" the standard labeling, which some resellers do. Like End Clothing sells Jamieson's as 42(L), which doesn't actually "exist." What you'll get is a 42 that fits like a L (or really a medium as you say) but says XL on the tag. Makes it sometimes a gamble ordering from some retailers when you don't really know which size you might get.

MeatFish

Reaction score
Great feedback, though I have several Jamieson's, so I'm familiar with how I like them to fit standardly. For me the 42 (labeled on the attached tag) does fit how you say, but if you look at the neck tag, it probably says that sweater is an XL. (Though I personally find the classic medium at J Press has sleeves a bit too short for me, and the large unfortunately not closed enough at the waist).

All I'm checking is that NMWA didn't "override" the standard labeling, which some resellers do. Like End Clothing sells Jamieson's as 42(L), which doesn't actually "exist." What you'll get is a 42 that fits like a L (or really a medium as you say) but says XL on the tag. Makes it sometimes a gamble ordering from some retailers when you don't really know which size you might get.
No sizing override, we go off the tagged size they arrive with. The size 42 is tagged as an L though...

jaaz16

Reaction score
Interesting, my two in 42 from the last couple years both are tagged XL. They may have adjusted this year.

MeatFish

Reaction score
We buy them from Jamieson's in their chest size, and list them in their chest size, so best to go off of the # rather than the letter size for these. We just checked and they seem to be consistent with previous year's in the same chest size.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heaven help me. Maybe too many complaints! I just bought a 42 with the XL last month so this would have to be a new change.

But at least that helps explain why I was confused.

Also, for what it's worth, Jamieson's of Shetland are easily the best deal in Shetland sweaters, it's amazing how good they are for the price.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They probably realized that the letter size they add on the label is absurd, so they are putting letter sizes that are closer to reality (yet, IMO, still overstated).

In any case, we disregard the letter sizes on the tags entirely - we order them in knitwear/chest sizes as @MeatFish mentioned, and we sell them in chest sizes too.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my verdegris jamieson’s yesterday size 44. We have different colors now but you will still look cool I promise (some support from camoshita coat and inglese popover)
View attachment 2091497
I saw someone on reddit post the same sweater. Such a nice color for cool tone outfits this time of year.

Little plug, but I'm selling this very sweater in the NMWA B/S/T thread in a size 46. Agree, it's a great piece.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads