• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

Friend

Reaction score
For those that have the Fujito Kimono tee, did you go TTS or size down? And is the neck noticeably higher than a standard tee?

I went TTS (a 2, although I can sometimes fit a 1) and it is quite voluminous. The fabric is also fairly heavy for a tee, which lends it more structure. I likely would have swapped it for a 1 if it was still in stock, but the 2 does work. That said I think it depends on your build too - I'm on the slim side of a 2, which emphasizes the volume. The neck feels high but within a normal tee range to me (doesn't read/feel like a mockneck in other words).

jaaz16

Reaction score
For those that have the Fujito Kimono tee, did you go TTS or size down? And is the neck noticeably higher than a standard tee?

I went TTS (a 2, although I can sometimes fit a 1) and it is quite voluminous. The fabric is also fairly heavy for a tee, which lends it more structure. I likely would have swapped it for a 1 if it was still in stock, but the 2 does work. That said I think it depends on your build too - I'm on the slim side of a 2, which emphasizes the volume. The neck feels high but within a normal tee range to me (doesn't read/feel like a mockneck in other words).
I’m actually wearing mine today for a slow day at work. I’m wearing a 2, typically a medium more often than not. My other fujito tops are all size 2.

It’s definitely bigger and a bit too long for me to wear untucked with most pants, but I think the structure and volume looks cool tucked in. It give the visual effect of making your waist look smaller by comparison.

0909F5AB-A2BB-4E28-9CDA-615CC37B248B.jpeg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have there been changes to the site for non-US shoppers? Free shipping to Canada only if more than $695 spent? I also noticed Canadian dollars being used with some crazy conversion rate. For example, the Doppia AAgar being $475 CAD when the current exchange rate would put it at $387. Even if tax was included, this is way more than the 13% that would be expected. Makes shopping from Canada too expensive of an endeavor.
Yes there have been necessary changes as a review of margins showed that the US business is subsidizing much lower margins in the Canadian business. Our shipping and transaction costs are higher so now we're reflecting that into a more accurate pricing. US business is no longer going to subsidize the Canadian business. Probably not great to hear but necessary changes on our side*

I don't really know about FX costs other than there is a small FX risk buffer built into all the currency translations and that "current exchange rate" is never really what is obtained on transactions (does not reflect the bid/ask spread)

* also better for my mental health as I my stomach turns every time I see us shipping a zero-margin $100 sale order "for free" for $45

mypants

Reaction score
I don't really know about FX costs other than there is a small FX risk buffer built into all the currency translations and that "current exchange rate" is never really what is obtained on transactions (does not reflect the bid/ask spread)

A few percent extra on the currency conversion is one thing, but it’s set to about 21% more than spot right now…

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few percent extra on the currency conversion is one thing, but it’s set to about 21% more than spot right now…
It will not be 21%. We're still squashing bugs and building it out

45bur

Reaction score
Things are pretty bleak for us canadians in general for shopping right now. We have a handful of cool retailers, but no doubt the exchange rates combined with import charges are making it more and more difficult to justify buying from the US. I understand that business guides these decisions. I'll continue to shop from NMWA, but I will likely make orders with less frequency than I have done in the past, which is honestly a healthy change anyway haha

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have there been changes to the site for non-US shoppers? Free shipping to Canada only if more than $695 spent? I also noticed Canadian dollars being used with some crazy conversion rate. For example, the Doppia AAgar being $475 CAD when the current exchange rate would put it at $387. Even if tax was included, this is way more than the 13% that would be expected. Makes shopping from Canada too expensive of an endeavor.

HST is being factored in, but you are right in that the prices reflected to us are around 10% higher than standard with the new automatic currency converter beforehand.

Yes there have been necessary changes as a review of margins showed that the US business is subsidizing much lower margins in the Canadian business. Our shipping and transaction costs are higher so now we're reflecting that into a more accurate pricing. US business is no longer going to subsidize the Canadian business. Probably not great to hear but necessary changes on our side*

* also better for my mental health as I my stomach turns every time I see us shipping a zero-margin $100 sale order "for free" for $45

Right now, the FX rate for USD to CAD is around $1.35: for every $1 USD, it'll be $1.35 CAD. If a Canadian customer doesn't use a no FX-fee credit card, it'd be more along the lines of 1.375 to account for the 2.5% conversion fee they tack onto it - the FX risk buffer that you mentioned.

For the specific DopiaA shirt that @hrv123 is talking about:
  • On the New Items and DopiaA pages, it'll show as $475 CAD. On the specific product page, it'll show as $420 CAD (nice).
  • $285 USD to $420 CAD is at a conversion rate of 1.474. This is a 10-12.5% increase from what we would be charged for previously ($385-392 CAD), before shipping charges.

EDIT: Tweaks were made after this post and the CAD price reflected to Canadians on the product page after FX conversions is much closer to the active rate of most credit card companies. :thumbs-up:

• When I reached the checkout page, $54.60 CAD in taxes (HST, which is 13%) is then implemented, which would bring it to $474.60 CAD before the shipping charge is factored in. This means that the post-tax price is shown on the New Items and brand pages. Tax was never collected at checkout, but I realize this means that we won't be "surprised" at the door or at the post office.
In this situation, it's better for Canadians to be charged in USD and let our credit cards do the FX conversion (assuming a US dollar card isn't being used), but there's no option for us to do that now unless we send it to a US address. I'm hoping that there's some way for this to be ironed out somehow, if only for the other Canadian buyers that don't have the opportunity to buy in person or have proxies/friends help them out.

As for the free shipping threshold, I understand - and I appreciate that you're still providing an opportunity to obtain free shipping for us Canadians. (Honestly, I'm amazed that you never had a threshold for us in the first place.)

Last edited:

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be honest: there are no plans to change the way the international checkout operates. Every international shopper will be treated equally with live FX rates (+a few % buffer for transaction costs and FX variations), duties and taxes calculated at checkout. We're using Global-e now because they are the best at this, and will always ensure that duties and taxes are correctly collected and paid, alleviating major work and headache for us.

This is also the only way we won't actually lose money shipping internationally. I just shipped one shirt to Canada and postage was $48 (not including packaging costs). International business is a very small part of our business and we expect it to stay very small. We just can't experience massive margin leaks and affect the rest of the business just because we want to chase an unprofitable international business. It's a bad approach for the business. I'd rather have a small, profitable international business than a larger unprofitable one. I know it's not great to see stuff becoming more expensive, but the other way to see it is to be thankful for all those free shipping packages over the years....

mypants

Reaction score
Having the duties and taxes handled at checkout is an excellent change. There are no downsides to that. Bumping up the threshold for free shipping is also totally understandable. (A customer friendly wish though is to have a “hold“ option for shipping, so that smaller orders could be combined and shipped together)

Question: What is going to become of the USD store credit? Im assuming there is a mechanism to apply that at the same CAD exchange rate you’re charging? As I have a considerable balance, it’s a non-trivial concern of mine.

Beav

Reaction score
Things are pretty bleak for us canadians in general for shopping right now. We have a handful of cool retailers, but no doubt the exchange rates combined with import charges are making it more and more difficult to justify buying from the US. I understand that business guides these decisions. I'll continue to shop from NMWA, but I will likely make orders with less frequency than I have done in the past, which is honestly a healthy change anyway .

Having the duties and taxes handled at checkout is an excellent change. There are no downsides to that. Bumping up the threshold for free shipping is also totally understandable. (A customer friendly wish though is to have a “hold“ option for shipping, so that smaller orders could be combined and shipped together)

Question: What is going to become of the USD store credit? Im assuming there is a mechanism to apply that at the same CAD exchange rate you’re charging? As I have a considerable balance, it’s a non-trivial concern of mine.
Yeah I'm fine with a proper shipping charge. There's never "free" shipping, and I totally support people paying what it costs to ship an item without having someone else subsidize it. Just more transparent that way.

I hope things get sorted with the currency exchange rate. Anything more than a couple % wouldn't be reasonable.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The store credit is still there and valid and can be applied at checkout using your unique loyalty gift card code in the gift card checkout field. I believe the FX rate is the same for debit and credit here but it's worth testing, I guess.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope things get sorted with the currency exchange rate. Anything more than a couple % wouldn't be reasonable.
Do you even know how much we get for each CAD? how can you pass judgment on what is reasonable or not? Once again, the FX rate you see on The Google or any other live rate website is NOT what you get in an actual transaction whether cash or CC. There is a bid/ask spread for currencies and there are fees imposed by the payment processors/banks.

Dude...

Beav

Reaction score
Do you even know how much we get for each CAD? how can you pass judgment on what is reasonable or not? Once again, the FX rate you see on The Google or any other live rate website is NOT what you get in an actual transaction whether cash or CC. There is a bid/ask spread for currencies and there are fees imposed by the payment processors/banks.

Dude...
Sorry, but a 21% premium that the other fella calculated is nothing short of a rip off.

Dude...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads