• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

feliks

Reaction score
SFers with tattoos: what clothes do you like while you're healing new pieces?

I'm getting some large work next month and looking for cheapish oversized stuff in soft cotton. Uniqlo U's been my go-to but wondering what else is out there

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm getting some large work next month and looking for cheapish oversized stuff in soft cotton. Uniqlo U's been my go-to but wondering what else is out there
Depends on what area you are having done. Button up, inexpensive shirts that can be washed to remove blood & ink stains as everything drains is the idea. And loose!
You do not want to be raising your arms to get in to a t-shirt or jumper and risk tearing the protective stuff on the tattoo if it is your shoulders, chest or back.
Also, these days, it would be silly not using something like Saniderm, Tatuderm, Tegaderm, etc. Complete game changers. No point risking stains, rashes and infection when we have proper products like these available.
But leaks can still happen.
Source: I have healed ~150+ hours of work that required air travel every time.

P.s. I missed the exact recommendation thing... I had been using a Merona button up shirt that I bought from Target ~10 years ago that was dark blue with a sakura pattern, it would hide well any accidental leaks and every time the "debris" would wash out. It would then also not be a disaster if it was permanently stained. The lower parts of the body... that was harder to deal with (sitting on a fresh tattoo, even with Tatuderm, is unpleasant and tears can lead to leaks). Inexpensive easily laundered dark coloured drawstring waist trousers was my go-to.

P.p.s. the other advantage of the protective skin sheets is that once the initial "draining" of the first 2 days is done, you can just wear whatever you want as the sheet will be a barrier between the very sensitive "scraped" skin and the clothing. Hell, you can even comfortably work out without fear of infection, as long as you don't tear the sheet or fill it with sweat.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I really like the material that Next Level Apparel uses, but ymmv,. https://www.amazon.com/The-Next-Level-mens-4600/dp/B0921VJSDX
It's a very soft organic cotton and recycled poly blend. Not really oversized, but you can just buy a size or two up and it will fit that way - my daughter steals mine, and they fit oversized on her frame.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score

Do you know what type of healing your artist recommends/uses? I've always used second skin which makes clothing a non-issue. 🤭 But I assume yours might be too big for that?

In any case just wear big vintage tees cus they're usually soft.

feliks

Reaction score
@skalogre

You are 1000% right about Saniderm/Tegaderm/second skins, I got a new one last Sunday and it made the first week a breeze. Still needed baggy clothes since it doesn't offer any sun protection tho. Btw anyone in the Austin area can't say enough good things about https://www.instagram.com/ivanantonyshevtattoo/

Because of artist availability I'm getting a thigh piece done by https://www.instagram.com/astrotravelling/ and then starting a halfsleeve on my arm/shoulder with https://www.instagram.com/justinoliviertattoo/ a few days after so RIP getting tan this summer

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know what type of healing your artist recommends/uses? I've always used second skin which makes clothing a non-issue. 🤭 But I assume yours might be too big for that?

In any case just wear big vintage tees cus they're usually soft.
No such thing as "too big" if you buy stuff that comes in rolls, lol. I have had the stuff from the base of my neck all the way down to the back of my knees. Application was obviously challenging, though.

Oh and you may be making weird crinkling noises as you move and have a whiff of plastic to you , lol

FlowableFill

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@skalogre

You are 1000% right about Saniderm/Tegaderm/second skins, I got a new one last Sunday and it made the first week a breeze. Still needed baggy clothes since it doesn't offer any sun protection tho. Btw anyone in the Austin area can't say enough good things about https://www.instagram.com/ivanantonyshevtattoo/

Because of artist availability I'm getting a thigh piece done by https://www.instagram.com/astrotravelling/ and then starting a halfsleeve on my arm/shoulder with https://www.instagram.com/justinoliviertattoo/ a few days after so RIP getting tan this summer
I've been going to Rock of Ages. They do good work. Here's a pic of an eagle/snake I got recently:

Iskander

Reaction score
I dig these Yuketens but I don't love the kilties (or the price tbh). Any similar alternatives?
Yuketen-Italian-Blucher-w_Cortina-Sole-T-Pale-Black12-scaled.jpg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dig these Yuketens but I don't love the kilties (or the price tbh). Any similar alternatives?
View attachment 2184147

MeatFish

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads