• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If his online shop is sold out... maybe something is working. Are we talking about him? Yes we are. You have to remember that lots of people haven't heard great audio playback and while he's not offering anything new (High efficiency horns and triodes are old as dirt and came back into interest in the late 80s) lots of people won't have been exposed to anything better than an mp3 on their phone or a nightclub.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
During the holidays I changed out my main system, replacing my Parasound preamp/amp setup with an integrated amp (Peachtree iNova). Felt like there was big boost in the bass.

After the holidays I went back to the old setup and noticed a big drop in the bass.

The sub in the system was being fed by loop outs on the back of my amp. When I switched the feed over to the sub outs on the preamp the bass came back to normal levels.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No WAY those low-powered amps could play to lifelike volume! You need 300 WATTS PER CHANNEL. At LEAST!!!!

it's true . you won't get lifelike low end at volume with a single output triode .

more to the point why would i want tube compression on hi fi ?

anyways it sounds like you're going to buy / build the kit ? should be pretty easy

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Very nice. Are those Puppys?

The speakers are Wilson Audio Alexia Vs in a beautiful Cranberry Pearl finish. Two Wilson LoKe subwoofers add bass down to 14 hz and fire directly into the front corners of the room. Setup was done by Jim Smith over ten days. Sounds lifelike.

The turntable is a Continuum Caliburn with a Lyra Etna Lambda cartridge. The tape deck is a Redox PR99 completely modified by Soren Wittrup.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
My very old Chord Blu CD transport finally gave up the ghost. Decided not to give up on physical digital discs quite yet, and bought what I assume will be my last ever CD transport - the belt-driven CEC TL2N.

Early impressions are very positive. Let’s see once it settles in properly

R-O-T

IMG_2291.jpeg
IMG_2292.jpeg
IMG_2293.jpeg

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
Wow. That's CD commitment! A guy could do worse than snatching up hundreds of lightly-loved CDs, I suppose; I'm doing something similar with BluRay discs and DVDs when they're (BR) not available. But between streaming and vinyl at home and podcasts in the car I can't remember the last time I played a CD. I was dusting my stereo the other day and accidentally hit the eject button on the CD player (Linn Ikemi, 22 years old) a disc ejected. I remember last playing it for my sister who was in town--over two years ago.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Well I still have hundreds upon hundreds of CDs. And I prefer the act (and generally the sound) of using physical media for doing proper listening. The act of selecting the disc, and committing to listening creates greater engagement for me. And the CEC defin plays into this with its manual top loading mechanism and clamp. I love my Aurender for streaming but find I will skip around much more. I guess I could just go with streaming and vinyl - but there are so many albums I have on CD but not vinyl (and vice versa)

For Home Cinema I am a massive believer in physical discs (4K) as well. But that’s more a quality question, as well as the whole digital rights headache

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
Agreed on the physical media, 100%. If I sit and listen, nine times out of ten I'll spin a record. If I'm cooking or doing something else around the house, I will stream Tidal. At the moment (okay, for the past few years) I've been considering downsizing houses and wondering if I could live with streaming only.

A good argument for a CD player: A lot of the music I enjoy never had a vinyl release and much of it isn't available to stream either. Smaller label jazz releases from the 90s, for instance. I try to rip them and then Roon sorts them out for playback. But you're right--it's a different experience than playing a disc.

I've always liked the idea of a top-loading CD player but have never owned one. Other than turntables the only top-loader I've owned was a cassette deck I bought new with paper route money when I was a kid. My first 'major' purchase in life was a Kenwood cassette deck and integrated amp.

Edit: I also like streaming for its 'try before I buy' appeal. Especially with vinyl costing what it does these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads