• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your opinions on shorts?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1648402676624.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like that better than the Basic Bro uniform. He looks like a fun guy to have a beer with.

emptym

Reaction score
I dislike this sort of thing

View attachment 1771647 View attachment 1771648

I like shorts that have some aesthetic direction and don't like the "after" part of a before-and-after male makeover sponsored by Macy's.

Some examples of short outfits I like. Here are workwear and Americana type of outfits with shorts. In all these photos, notice the difference in shape, length, details (e.g. pockets), materials, etc. All these things swing the shorts into various aesthetic directions
I like khaki shorts. Maybe it's from my time in New England and DC. I have a pair from Patagonia that I got back in the early 90s. They're so soft but so durable. (Wish I could buy the fabric for a suit.) I'd wear them with LL Bean camp Mocs and a Red Sox t-shirt. Other shoes that go well with them include the original Tevas (with the thong and ankle strap) or the Alden LHS. Up top: a gray, heathered college tee, a navy linen sweater, any color sweatshirt, a rugby shirt, or buttondowns in linen, madras, seersucker, or an old ocbd.

I like all the shorts. Just depends on the context and use.

This type of fit just doesn’t make sense to me though. If it’s cool enough to wear long sleeves up top, it’s cool enough to wear long pants.
Sometimes it gets cool in the evening and you put on a sweatshirt or sweater because that's easier than changing to pants. Or a long sleeve t-shirt or collared shirt could protect your arms from the sun.

We often wear more up top. Or if it's cold enough to wear a down jacket, is it cold enough to wear down pants? Same for raincoats, windbreakers, etc.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like khaki shorts. Maybe it's from my time in New England and DC. I have a pair from Patagonia that I got back in the early 90s. They're so soft but so durable. (Wish I could buy the fabric for a suit.) I'd wear them with LL Bean camp Mocs and a Red Sox t-shirt. Other shoes that go well with them include the original Tevas (with the thong and ankle strap) or the Alden LHS. Up top: a gray, heathered college tee, a navy linen sweater, any color sweatshirt, a rugby shirt, or buttondowns in linen, madras, or an old ocbd.

I like all the shorts. Just depends on the context and use.

Sometimes it gets cool in the evening and you put on a sweatshirt or sweater because that's easier than changing to pants. Or a long sleeve t-shirt or collared shirt could protect your arms from the sun.

We often wear more up top. Or if it's cold enough to wear a down jacket, is it cold enough to wear down pants? Same for raincoats, windbreakers, etc.

Sure if you’re throwing something on at the end of the day for practical purposes then all bets are off. Generally speaking though, I’m only wearing shorts if it’s 85+ out, and if it’s that warm I’m sure as hell not wearing long sleeves.

Jan-Mikael

Reaction score
I also like to wear long sleeves with shorts. I know it's contradictory to do so, but there's something aesthetically pleasing about the look.

200713_Casatlantic_Mogador_shorts_1024x1024.jpg
3145a0_05db268ae6754a13a080a90a7b873f4a_mv2.jpg
634de9078dbfb984af675f38e5e3b1d4.jpg
tumblr_m85nirVsnp1qa2j8co3_500.jpg

jko

Reaction score
For me I wear shorts during the day in the summer or when in a tropical country (NOT CARGIO SHORTS, NEVER...you are not 16 anymore). I have started wearing Gurkha or double buckle military's type ones (https://labourunion-1986.com/collec...ucts/british-army-double-buckle-gurkha-shorts

I find them quite elegant and retro. In the evening I wear linen trousers or cotton chinos.
But... those are cargo shorts?

Also, if you're not allowed to wear cargo shorts because you're not 16, are you allowed to wear 40s-60s British army shorts if it's 2022 and you're not in the British army?

rollerkilt

Reaction score
Shorts are much easier than kilts, except where it comes to access.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But... those are cargo shorts?

Also, if you're not allowed to wear cargo shorts because you're not 16, are you allowed to wear 40s-60s British army shorts if it's 2022 and you're not in the British army?

call cargo shorts “Ghurka shorts” and you’ve reinvented them.

You’ve turned the mundane and banal into something that drips with nostalgia and adventure. Sort of like the new Land Rover Defender.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with cargo shorts because if I’m wearing shorts I’ve already more or less given up on caring how I look.

rjc149

Reaction score
For me, shorts are for hot weather where long pants would be uncomfortable. That means any climate where the day's low temperature is over 75 degrees. So if we're talking about wearing long-sleeved shirts (linen shirts being the exception) or even sweaters, that's below 70 degrees and definitely not shorts weather.

I also don't live in a climate with large variations in daily temperature -- for example, in the desert, wearing shorts during the day and needing to layer up in the evening is standard. I've never been to SF or places in the Pacific NW, where this might also be the case. Something tells me that in milder climates, style and comfort can comfortably coexist. In NYC area, summers are torrid, winters are frigid, so the shorts and the big down parkas have a real functional purpose that take precedence over aesthetics.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, shorts are for hot weather where long pants would be uncomfortable. That means any climate where the day's low temperature is over 75 degrees. So if we're talking about wearing long-sleeved shirts (linen shirts being the exception) or even sweaters, that's below 70 degrees and definitely not shorts weather.

I also don't live in a climate with large variations in daily temperature -- for example, in the desert, wearing shorts during the day and needing to layer up in the evening is standard. I've never been to SF or places in the Pacific NW, where this might also be the case. Something tells me that in milder climates, style and comfort can comfortably coexist. In NYC area, summers are torrid, winters are frigid, so the shorts and the big down parkas have a real functional purpose that take precedence over aesthetics.

I live in Toronto. We have the same weather as NYC. So we get each other. At the end of the day this thread makes me realize we all have different tastes.

Summers in Toronto are usually brutal. So like you said function over me. When its stupid cold like -20C here, parka it is. I wouldn't try to convince people who are not for shorts. To each their own.

rjc149

Reaction score
I live in Toronto. We have the same weather as NYC. So we get each other. At the end of the day this thread makes me realize we all have different tastes.

Summers in Toronto are usually brutal. So like you said function over me. When its stupid cold like -20C here, parka it is. I wouldn't try to convince people who are not for shorts. To each their own.
Agreed, I'm not trying to convince anyone to wear shorts. I don't think there are viable alternatives -- I was going to try linen trousers this summer, but I have trouble finding a pair that doesn't scream "namaste."

Thing is, on a typical Saturday afternoon in July where I am, no man, woman, or child within a 1-2 mile radius is wearing long pants. The rare, odd man is wearing trousers, looking down his nose at the gross display of bare legs, as others look at him and wonder "how can you wear long pants in this weather.." The "no shorts outside of the beach" school of thought is a shrinking minority.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads