• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your opinions on shorts?

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
Thinking about ordering this from Scott Fraser Collection. Unsure about fabric, though.
Linen? Heavy cotton? What colour? Any takers?

And I think the take-away is wear longarmed anything with shorts, unless you're wearing a camp collared shirt?

1648391677897.png

1648391702549.png

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about ordering this from Scott Fraser Collection. Unsure about fabric, though.
Linen? Heavy cotton? What colour? Any takers?

And I think the take-away is wear longarmed anything with shorts, unless you're wearing a camp collared shirt?

View attachment 1771740
View attachment 1771741

This type of fit just doesn’t make sense to me though. If it’s cool enough to wear long sleeves up top, it’s cool enough to wear long pants.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put shorts in the same category as Glenn O'Brien put flip flops.
At the beach or at the spa.
However, since I live at the beach I do wear shorts down here regularly.
I recently ordered a pair of these from Outerknown, which is Kelly Slater's brand.
They are heavy cut terry. The build, fit, and comfort are amazing.
Pricey, but I think they will hold up.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Men shouldn't wear shorts" is an antiquated menswear dictum stubbornly clung to by those either nostalgic for bygone eras when shorts were for children, or, mostly, people adopting that nostalgia since few grown men alive today lived in those eras.

As long as they are worn in appropriately casual settings, shorts are fine for any man, of any age, to wear.

You want to opt for chino shorts and ensure they don't fall below the kneecap. You don't want them to bell out, so a slim cut is preferable. Cargo shorts are generally regarded as verboten since they look frumpy and tend to be baggy, which makes you look shorter.

My personal guidelines regarding shorts is that they are not worn in the evenings or anywhere where respectable attire is obligated (church, sit-down restaurants, ceremonies of any kind, parties etc.), and they are not worn with shirts tucked into them, which I feel looks too preppy and it clashes with the casualness of shorts.

Couldn't have said it better. In the summer here when it's way too hot. Comfort is king. As long as you know when it's appropriate and not appropriate to wear it.

I wear Chino shorts but mostly in navy and Mid Grey.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I like long-sleeved t-shirts or thin sweaters with shorts, but not button-up shirts. IMO, a long-sleeved t-shirt or sweater has a very cool, sporty vibe with shorts.

rjc149

Reaction score
I like shorts, but strongly dislike chino shorts. Especially slim ones that end just above the knees.
Curious as to why you feel so strongly against them? Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that while you embrace the style of shorts you posted for their aesthetic nuance, your dislike of chino shorts seems to be more of a principled stance against what you feel is "basic bro" attire out of a J Crew catalogue. Is it because chino shorts are aesthetically sterile and thus too "safe" (also making them more universally appealing) or is it an association you're making between chino shorts and a certain subculture you don't care for?

I like most of the outfits you posted (barring the photos that are clearly jogging attire) but I also feel that baggier, looser shorts only flatter the tall and slender men who are wearing them in the photos... the gentleman in the fourth photo down has a build more similar to mine, and is wearing shorts that I don't visually distinguish from slim-fit chino shorts at a glance.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one pair of white linen/cotton blend shorts that I wear at beach resorts. Aside from those, I wear Prana shorts for hiking. They are by far the most comfortable shorts I've found for outdoor activities.

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
Aside from those, I wear Prana shorts for hiking. They are by far the most comfortable shorts I've found for outdoor activities.

Gramicci also makes a good hiking pair.

Saw lots of people wearing them in Tokyo, a couple of years ago.
Worn athleisurely with long-sleeves (not longarms (like we call it)).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Curious as to why you feel so strongly against them? Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that while you embrace the style of shorts you posted for their aesthetic nuance, your dislike of chino shorts seems to be more of a principled stance against what you feel is "basic bro" attire out of a J Crew catalogue. Is it because chino shorts are aesthetically sterile and thus too "safe" (also making them more universally appealing) or is it an association you're making between chino shorts and a certain subculture you don't care for?

For me, it's not just about the shorts, but also the approach to casualwear. I think some guys are uncomfortable in shorts, but feel they have to wear them either because of the weather or because they want to look casual. But they clearly don't want to wear shorts, so they transplant their ideas about slim flat-front chinos to shorts and think "I'll just get a shorter version of that." The resulting outfit often looks like you threw on some things from a clothing subscription box.

The guy in the fourth photo is named Sam. He's wearing hiking shorts with a self-belt in that photo. You can see the belt more clearly here

64656450_2807282816011641_3428779302893391189_n.jpeg

In other photos, he's wearing camp shorts with big pockets. You can see the pockets here:

58606494_1141570919378893_7223252507389385543_n.jpeg
59079352_1928677140572311_4918618773711544441_n.jpeg

You can probably wear something like J. Crew's shorts and the effect would be pretty similar. But I just dislike this sort of thing

47dd22006c0367a76360e6642440831c.jpeg

Guys also often wear those chino shorts with these shirts

Gap-dot-ox.jpeg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on wearing something like this as a set? This may be more appropriate in SW&D discussion, but not sure. CM doesn't work for me in the heat and I'm looking for different looks in the summer time. Would probably wear this with Birkenstock sandles.

Tour_Shirt_Daisy_Black-1_1_700x.jpg

Volly_Short_Daisy_Black-1_1_700x.jpg

rjc149

Reaction score
For me, it's not just about the shorts, but also the approach to casualwear. I think some guys are uncomfortable in shorts, but feel they have to wear them either because of the weather or because they want to look casual. But they clearly don't want to wear shorts, so they transplant their ideas about slim flat-front chinos to shorts and think "I'll just get a shorter version of that." The resulting outfit often looks like you threw on some things from a clothing subscription box.

The guy in the fourth photo is named Sam. He's wearing hiking shorts with a self-belt in that photo. You can see the belt more clearly here

View attachment 1771801

In other photos, he's wearing camp shorts with big pockets. You can see the pockets here:

View attachment 1771803 View attachment 1771802

You can probably wear something like J. Crew's shorts and the effect would be pretty similar. But I just dislike this sort of thing

View attachment 1771805

Guys also often wear those chino shorts with these shirts

View attachment 1771806
I see, although I think most men (myself included) wear shorts because we want to, not out of some sense of obligation. When it's very hot out, wearing shorts is really more of a matter of comfort, not necessarily style, although the two need not be mutually exclusive. I prefer wearing long pants whenever it's practical, but 90 degrees, not practical. I want to wear shorts because I seek the comfort.

In the 2nd photo Sam is again wearing shorts that I don't visually distinguish from chino shorts, aside from the patch pockets.

I don't believe the alternative is to look like the two models below, especially the one with his button-down shirt tucked in -- but when we answer "what kind of shorts should I wear that are stylish" I think slim-fit chino shorts are a good guideline for how they should look and fit.

Personally I think button-down linen shirts look good with shorts, aside from also being very comfortable in hot weather.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In the 2nd photo Sam is again wearing shorts that I don't visually distinguish from chino shorts, aside from the patch pockets.

They're not actually patched, but just sewn like fatigues. IMO, the stitching makes a big difference. Even with chinos, you can see how a double-needle stitch vs single-needle stitch can change the whole vibe of an outfit.

rjc149

Reaction score
They're not actually patched, but just sewn like fatigues. IMO, the stitching makes a big difference. Even with chinos, you can see how a double-needle stitch vs single-needle stitch can change the whole vibe of an outfit.
Yes they make them more casual. I actually like these shorts. But again, I think the basic form and fit of the shorts are akin to slim-fit chino shorts, which are more flattering for his body type, and for most of us.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To quote the late writer P.J. O'Rourke: "The logical argument contra summertime should be four words long: middle-age men in shorts."

Most of the pics shared above by Derek show men in outdoorsy environments--where I think they look fine.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eveliynfindlay