• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing your favorite outfit.... everyday?

bjornb17

Reaction score
I've been working on decluttering my house for the past couple years and I saved my wardrobe for last and have been working on it for the past couple months. I have a closet full of really nice clothes including probably 100 dress shirts. While they are all objectively nice, I find myself gravitating towards the same 10-15 shirts and will occasionally wear some of the other ones for the sake of trying to get some use out of them. A lot of them have never even been worn and as my style has evolved I also probably won't wear them much either. I also have a lot of redundant shirts with similar styles that I could probably consolidate so I have less overall shirts but each one is more unique.

Same goes for pants, suits, shoes, etc. but I seem to be the worst offender when it comes to shirts.

So that got me thinking, why not just get rid of everything except the items that I always look forward to wearing? My closet will be way tidier and I'll always look forward to wearing everything in my closet. And somebody else can enjoy the stuff that I would donate or sell. Since I go to meetings or office only about twice a week anyway I don't really need as much stuff.

Thoughts?

Harwid

Reaction score
I like getting rid of things I don’t love or use. I do pay more for things I really like. I hate it if I buy something because it was on a great sale but I don’t really love it. I have purchased some shoes and clothes that I wear 2 or 3 times and then donate them to charity.

Get rid of the clothes that aren’t your style anymore and clothes you just don’t like to wear. Keep duplicates of clothes you do like though. They will last longer being worn less.

You should enjoy what you are wearing every day.

Jeff

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads