• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am interested in meetup and all things DC! Just had dinner at The Smith in Penn Quarter with my Law Student son and then dessert at the Occidental Grill. They remodeled and the Occidental isn’t quite as cozy as it used to be. Will avoid it from now on.

Had eaten at The Smith in NYC several times and was happy to see them open up here. Tried to go to Proof but it had closed! A bit pricey but I liked that place.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for everyone. My wife needs to carb load before a race next weekend. What's a good place to get large portions of pasta?

Once upon a time I would have recommended my favourite Somali bar on U Street but alas they fell victim to "New DC" rent.

There is a chain pseudo-Italian restaurant on Wisconsin at Mazza Gallerie that has 2 for 1 meals. I can't remember the name for the life of me tho

Buca di Beppo on Connecticut & Florida Ave has huge portions

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once upon a time I would have recommended my favourite Somali bar on U Street but alas they fell victim to "New DC" rent.

There is a chain pseudo-Italian restaurant on Wisconsin at Mazza Gallerie that has 2 for 1 meals. I can't remember the name for the life of me tho

Buca di Beppo on Connecticut & Florida Ave has huge portions
Maggiano's?

heelguy

Reaction score
Another vote for Sid Mashburn. Also like Paul Stuart but it’s not NY. Been a long time Saks Men’s store customer but they are getting a little too trendy for me at least downstairs. Awful shoe department.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hit Saks at Mazza Galleria at sale time. The one out at Tyson’s doesn’t really have good CM.

I save most department store shopping for New York.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question for everyone. My wife needs to carb load before a race next weekend. What's a good place to get large portions of pasta?

Three years ago, the no-brainer answer was Pasta Mia (RIP). I think any Italian restaurant that advertises itself as “family style” will suffice: to the aforementioned Buca di Beppo and Maggiano’s I would add Carmine’s.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three years ago, the no-brainer answer was Pasta Mia (RIP). I think any Italian restaurant that advertises itself as “family style” will suffice: to the aforementioned Buca di Beppo and Maggiano’s I would add Carmine’s.
I sadly never got to try Pasta Mia before it closed, but I hear the restaurant in its place is good. When I was at GW 15 years ago, we would always go to Luigi's on 19th street but I have no idea if it's still around.

pleatedjeans

Reaction score
For my alterations I go to Ihsan Dura at Linea Pitti near Dupont. The shop is full of unfortunate looking rental tuxes but his work is superb and extremely quick.

absolutely second this - had him do all levels of work for me including lining jackets, unlining jackets, hand-done buttholes etc.

They handle alterations for a couple men's shops in DC too - Billy Reid I know for certain

Lithonial

Reaction score
For most of my alterations, I use Will at Field English Tailors. Like @Ambulance Chaser mentioned, turn around times can be a bit slow and the price can quickly get up there, but I've never had a complaint about the quality of the work he's done and the few times something has needed a second alteration or fix, he's always taken care of it. Also gotten a few bespoke shirts through him that I've been very pleased with.

I've been keeping it on the dl, but I'm opening a new store at the end of April and I'd be happy to host another meetup in May or June, after the dust settles? It'd be fun to put faces to names (or handles). Straw poll of those that'd be interested?

I'd definitely be in!

To the original question, I second most of the stores mentioned and would add AH One Shoes down in Springfield if you are down VA-side and want an alternative to Sky Valet, particularly if you want G&G.

For pasta, my vote is Sfoglina by Van Ness, Centrolina in City Center (though the portions may not be big enough for a carb load), or Filomena if you want A LOT of pasta. Their portion sizes are a little ridiculous, but it's still good (not great) quality and always a fun place to grab a meal.

Speaking of food, has anyone tried the new Mama Chang's? If so, worth it or stick with Q?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads