• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lazymen, Chores, & Blousons: a thread for a new form of tailoring

物の哀れ

Reaction score
5499aa2c9803c_-_hbz-bill-cunningham-article.jpg
Photo by Drakes on May 14, 2021. May be an image of 1 person and footw.jpg
2021-06-23_08-13-43_UTC_2.jpg
2019-07-16_22-21-24_UTC.jpg

ezev

Reaction score
I recently bought a stoffa shirt jacket. I love it, has a very slight taper to the body so it doesn't fit as boxy as some of the more workwear based items.

The issue I found with some of these is length. Sizing up doesn't always give you the length to cover your bum, and can throw off the rest of the jacket. Really liked the overshirt that Fox Bros did just for the cloth:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a stoffa shirt jacket. I love it, has a very slight taper to the body so it doesn't fit as boxy as some of the more workwear based items.

The issue I found with some of these is length. Sizing up doesn't always give you the length to cover your bum, and can throw off the rest of the jacket. Really liked the overshirt that Fox Bros did just for the cloth:

I passed on this one when it came out because it was too short. It's not meant be sport coat length of course but I still didn't want it.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason why you want a longer length? Sizing is probably intentionally a bit shorter to look for casual (like how some ppl get their SC a touch shorter than suit jacket)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bism416

Reaction score
Great thread.

Universal Works has lots of jackets. More workwear vibes but they do have some in-between fabric choices. I picked up a solid navy seersucker "bakers jacket" from them that I have found very useful. They have had fun bright tweeds in the winter as well.

I think 'jackets' like these excel in social situations where proper tailoring might feel like a bit much but you want to smarten things up a bit.

Also having that many pockets is very convenient.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think these really work as tailoring though.

Completely unstructured, and completely closed quarters.

I notice some people sneakily posing with these shirt jackets to make it seem like they have open quarters like a suit or sports coat, but they don't.
I have one from 1st Pat-Rn that has open quarters. It's really incredibly versatile, in navy sateen. But it has patch pockets and notched lapels. It works with faded jeans as well as tailored khakis.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's been mentioned in the other related threads - although the idea is fine, the lack of structure is just unflattering on most body types. Just wear a tailored jacket or wear a casual jacket. Stop trying to fit a square into a round hole.
As always depends on on fit, cut and materials. The advantage of this admittedly loose definition of jacket is precisely that they aren't structured.

Now, of course it's not classic menswear and isn't traditional business attire, but a lot of us still want to wear some kind of coat rather than shirtsleeves, and interesting fabrics.

I like structured coats but I have fewer and fewer occasions to wear them than ever.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This kind of streamlined Trachten/alpine jacket is also an option for the aesthetic discussed in this thread. It can take a bit more structure while remaining pretty casual, I think.

1630589121306.png

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads