• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious what size difference you have between shell and calf with Van loafers?
I go one full size down from my Brannock in shell van last loafers. Only .5 down in calf. To make things fun, I go .5 down in the Brooks unlined pennys (I've heard that last is the Van equivalent, but not sure).

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go one full size down from my Brannock in shell van last loafers. Only .5 down in calf. To make things fun, I go .5 down in the Brooks unlined pennys (I've heard that last is the Van equivalent, but not sure).
I take it the fit is a little roomier on shell since they can't stretch it as much over the last? I don't own any shell LHS loafers, yet.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take it the fit is a little roomier on shell since they can't stretch it as much over the last? I don't own any shell LHS loafers, yet.
I think you're right, my friend. They don't want to tear the shell. So they don't stretch it as much.

Not a big deal if you buy some loafers and you get heel slip. I know I bought my share of shell loafers and I used tongue pads or heel pads or even both! They never fit "right", though. It's all part of the journey...

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Anyone here have the "Casey" from Brick & Mortar? I find the nubuck grain look unique but wondering if anyone has first hand experience/ feedback
Screenshot_2024-05-10-09-58-00-30_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Interesting. I don’t change much between the Unlined and Lined Shells in general. I found the older Unlined Brooks were a tiny bit smaller than their advertised sizes but the more modern ones matched sizing more closely to the Lined cousins. But I mean a lot of things come into play and it probably varies run to run based upon temperature, who made them, etc.

-Mike

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here have the "Casey" from Brick & Mortar? I find the nubuck grain look unique but wondering if anyone has first hand experience/ feedback
View attachment 2182273

I have this leather in an Indy and PT Barrie Boot. Abs love it. Very unique color that changes in the light. Very soft, very comfy. Overall very happy with it. It's unlike any other Alden leather. Almost looks like natty CXL in some lights.

KarlHungus

Reaction score
I have this leather in an Indy and PT Barrie Boot. Abs love it. Very unique color that changes in the light. Very soft, very comfy. Overall very happy with it. It's unlike any other Alden leather. Almost looks like natty CXL in some lights.
Appreciate the feedback but you know we need pics :nodding:

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2182273
I am also curious to hear the feedback. Those look just superb!

-Mike
Have handled this material in person and it's textured like the photos show. At first, I thought it may have been elephant-inspired. The Clay material I saw at my last Trunk Show was a grey/green kinda look and very soft, with a little more raised nap than my other nubuck Aldens. Surprisingly, it didn't have as prominent effect where the material changes color if brushed in one direction (or against the grain).

This material in Clay is growing on me more and more as actual photos are starting to be posted by the dealers from their salesmen samples. The Tan Smooth Chamois was another material that was showcased and is probably my favorite material outside of Shell! Love the look and versatility of smooth chamois and the Tan color is lighter than snuff, but richer than milkshake. Very easy to maintain with a nylon/suede brush, too!

Brogue has a make-up that has done extremely well on Tan Smooth Chamois in the Huron Boot. I've worn these in the rain and puddles weren't an issue. Let them sit overnight to dry then hit with a nylon/suede brush and that was all that was needed! Even scuffs were removed by a nice brushing, just like shell!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Archipelagos