• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I officially corrupted one of my friends with a visit to Matt at Ealdwine. I got to eyeball the gorgeous Color #2 boots, and my buddy picked out a great pair of NST's in Arabica Lux (the Cabarrus, on the right in the pic below. Matt's outstanding #8 cap toes and my Ravello WTB's at the bottom). Since he and I size the same, he denied me a source of temptation too!
xo3LFkI.jpg

The lead gray suede Indy was pretty amazing. I'm going to work hard to forget that one exists in my size...
fVdSZS.gif

I haven’t had a neocork sole, I think I need to try it some time!
I loved my Neocork Indy's (natty CXL), and regret selling them. It's a really great sole - comfortable, but survives wear very well. I had great luck with mine in all kinds of weather/floors/etc.

I was worried the Dainite would be uncomfortable based on so many people trashing it but it’s proven to work well for me, though I’ve experienced that it doesn’t do well on ice. Neither do my commando soles though, but I do think they fare slightly better. The crepe wasn’t great at all though it might have been better on wet tile. Winter is just a tough time to walk around!
I'm another guy who's not a fan of Dainite, at all. I don't live with challenging winters, but I've never had any issues with Commando on ice or snow, and did have a close call with a Dainite pair. It has always kind of amazed me how different people's experiences are.

I bought these from Epaulet in 2013, Alden Brixton in Natural Chromexcel.
Those... are absolutely stunning. Congrats on an awesome pair!

vubui

Reaction score
Thanks! It fascinates me that sometimes it really does take years of wear until you know where a boot is even headed in terms of looks.

Today I officially corrupted one of my friends with a visit to Matt at Ealdwine. I got to eyeball the gorgeous Color #2 boots, and my buddy picked out a great pair of NST's in Arabica Lux (the Cabarrus, on the right in the pic below. Matt's outstanding #8 cap toes and my Ravello WTB's at the bottom). Since he and I size the same, he denied me a source of temptation too!

Looks like an awesome visit! And cool photo!

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
xo3LFkI.jpg

The lead gray suede Indy was pretty amazing. I'm going to work hard to forget that one exists in my size...
fVdSZS.gif

I loved my Neocork Indy's (natty CXL), and regret selling them. It's a really great sole - comfortable, but survives wear very well. I had great luck with mine in all kinds of weather/floors/etc.

I'm another guy who's not a fan of Dainite, at all. I don't live with challenging winters, but I've never had any issues with Commando on ice or snow, and did have a close call with a Dainite pair. It has always kind of amazed me how different people's experiences are.

Always great to see you my friend! You should be ashamed at yourself for sending a friend down the Alden rabbit hole :)

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always great to see you my friend! You should be ashamed at yourself for sending a friend down the Alden rabbit hole :)
I apologized before, during and after.

And congratulated him too ;) He's very happy and excited about the boots!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! It fascinates me that sometimes it really does take years of wear until you know where a boot is even headed in terms of looks.
Very true, and pretty fun.

Looks like an awesome visit! And cool photo!
It's always a good time hanging out with Mr. G - he has so much knowledge that almost off-handedly falls out of him - lol. I'm a talker, and I have to work hard to remind myself to shut up and listen. He's got so many truly unique makeups that it's hard to take it all in sometimes. Definitely a man who represents Alden very well, and a good dude to boot...

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ealdwine make-up Saturday here View attachment 2100669
My buddy was debating shell, saying he didn't like "shiny" leathers. I'm going to show him this pic as an example of what properly-worn shell can look like when the goal is earned patina. (which he likes the overall concept of)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My buddy was debating shell, saying he didn't like "shiny" leathers. I'm going to show him this pic as an example of what properly-worn shell can look like when the goal is earned patina. (which he likes the overall concept of)
The secret? Brush brush, brush

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Since y'all always seem to know of interesting makeups out there: what are some great non-Indy, trubalance last, special makeups out there that are either currently available or in pre-order? I've recently learned that trubalance feels great on my feet- even noticeably better than barrie for me.

Weldy

Reaction score
Since y'all always seem to know of interesting makeups out there: what are some great non-Indy, trubalance last, special makeups out there that are either currently available or in pre-order? I've recently learned that trubalance feels great on my feet- even noticeably better than barrie for me.
What kind of pattern are you looking for? What kind of leather? What kind of sole?Here are a couple of plain toes black shell with availability:

Ealdwine:

Brogue, some availability in color 8 too:

Dashing:

Others:
Leffot’s villager style. Available in suede. Preorder on color 8 too with some limited sizes

Alden Madison:
Roy boot in CXL, limited sizes if not preorder available
Plaintoe tobacco chamois D2808H

Larossa:
Another plaintoe Tobacco chamois:

Just a few top of my mind. Forgetting a lot of them but you should have a lot of options with TB. Great last

Weldy

Reaction score
Happy New Year forum pals from Korea.

Today went to Unipair trunk show. We should be thankful for our “preferred pricing” in North America :). Very busy in there though.
IMG_3832.jpeg

Also visited another smaller Alden retailer right around the corner named San Francisco Market:
IMG_3835.jpeg

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snake Oil Provisions runs a TB plaintoe boot in black shell (nickel hardware) and color 8 shell. Both called the Wick Boot. Great make-ups.

They also do a brown leather PT boot on TB on black wedge soles, but that's out of stock.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ealdwine make-up Saturday here View attachment 2100669

The secret? Brush brush, brush

These really are amazing @audog. Unrelated, every time you post I spend almost as much time looking at your avatar as I do your boots. That is one beautiful pooch you have.

What I have not seen suggested is a model that I think is made for TB, the NST (commonly referred to as splits). I know Adam from Alden of Carmel used to carry a great make in 8 with commando and antique. Not sure if he still carry's them or even if he is still in business but it is definitely worth a search or telephone call.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These really are amazing @audog. Unrelated, every time you post I spend almost as much time looking at your avatar as I do your boots. That is one beautiful pooch you have.

What I have not seen suggested is a model that I think is made for TB, the NST (commonly referred to as splits). I know Adam from Alden of Carmel used to carry a great make in 8 with commando and antique. Not sure if he still carry's them or even if he is still in business but it is definitely worth a search or telephone call.
Thanks Shawn. His name is Nigel and he turned 8 yrs old last month. I got him around the time I got my first pair of Aldens :)

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy New Years eve to all my forum pals.

IMG_3567.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads