• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

CLH03

Reaction score
Alright guys, I’d like to purchase some Alden loafers. My previous loafers are the Grant Stone Traveler in bourbon suede.

I’m looking at…
  • LHS color no. 8 (986)
  • LHS snuff suede (6243F)
  • Full strap color no. 8 (684)

Although no doubt in my mind I’ll get them all over time (one a year), I can’t seem to decide which one for 2024. Any thoughts?
I would probably go for the 986, with the 6243f being a close second. I think the 986 is a little easier to wear year round.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Starting the year off in Ealdwine Yarborough 405 Jumpers. Like the "work boot" leather.
IMG_5466.JPG

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The commenter is correct. That’s a 270 welt with a faux 360 heel. I forget what Alden calls this — something like “stitch around heel” — Alden won’t do a 360 welt on 379X or Modified so this is the only way to get 360 look on those lasts. Alden does, however, do true 360 welts on other lasts.

@BAK can confirm the terminology :)
In always impressed by the level of knowledge, for not being an Alden sales person.

I also find it interesting all the subtle variations in shoe building methods.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
I would probably go for the 986, with the 6243f being a close second. I think the 986 is a little easier to wear year round.

I like the 6243f very much, but it’s a warm weather shoe for me. The snuff color matches my summer wardrobe nicely, and it’s cooler than lined shell on hot days. I don’t wear them much past September. After that it’s mostly shell loafers.

slows2k

Reaction score
Alright guys, I’d like to purchase some Alden loafers. My previous loafers are the Grant Stone Traveler in bourbon suede.

I’m looking at…
  • LHS color no. 8 (986)

Although no doubt in my mind I’ll get them all over time (one a year), I can’t seem to decide which one for 2024. Any thoughts?

If you loved and wore the GS bourbon suede loafers, get the real deal 6243F. Easy to wear out of the box and goes with everything. Wearable year round depending on climate. The 986 is an absolute classic but looks terrible out of the box until they've been right worn in, IMO. The snuff LHS looks good from day one so for me they get more wear.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

I’m looking at…
  • LHS color no. 8 (986)

Hey Ash, great question and welcome to the Alden family! I would say that it depends on what you typically wear! The #8 Full Strap will offer a nicer, more formal style. So if you dress more formal, I would go with that. The #8 LHS is an amazing shoe and I would do that over the Snuff given that your GS is already Bourbon Suede... Thanks!

-Mike

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’m looking at…
  • LHS color no. 8 (986)

In a vacuum I would take the 6243. That’s what I would own if I was only allowed one pair of loafers for ever more.

But…they’re too close to the GS you already have for that to make sense. In your shoes (ha) I would get the 986.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I’m looking at…
  • LHS color no. 8 (986)

For me it comes down to the last. The first two are Van (great last), and the full strap is Aberdeen…no bueno for my feet. Plus, I’m partial to the penny over full strap look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads