• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE 2024 ALLEN EDMONDS (AE) APPRECIATION THREAD

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, it’s been a while since I perused this thread. I think I stopped subscribing once the Queen’s reign was cut short. Anyway, I’ve been seeing ads for the Dallas Roper that may rope me back in. Anybody try it yet? I like the silhouette but not a fan of the sole treatment. Would prefer double JR and a hefty rubber heel cap. Are they made in Wisconsin? Would be a nice makeup for a special order trunk show (maybe shell, idk).

Good to see you back here. It's just not been the same since AE decided to close the outlets. This thread might not even get to 200 pages this year, as a lot of people have gone into retirement. Anyway, chili Higgins for today.

unnamed.jpg

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to see you back here. It's just not been the same since AE decided to close the outlets. This thread might not even get to 200 pages this year, as a lot of people have gone into retirement. Anyway, chili Higgins for today.

View attachment 2169791
That’s too bad. Did they shutter the barn too? Happy to have been able to at least visit the factory several years ago.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Potential TSA warning:

Sneakers may have metal!

I took these Coopers with me for my annual MRI today, and they got sucked up into the machine while I was prepping. I had no idea they contained metal. Do other sneakers contain metal? Is it a shank?

IMG_8229.jpeg

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Favorite pair of AEs today. OG super-wrinkly brown CXL Higgins Mill boots that have faded to a much lighter brown. I've got a conditioning date set in a week during the NFL draft, so hopefully they'll perk a up a little bit after that.

IMG_7811.jpg

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
For those who own both- have you noticed a difference in fit between the Freeport and the Higgins mill?

I know their on the same last but sometimes that doesn’t mean much.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who own both- have you noticed a difference in fit between the Freeport and the Higgins mill?

I know their on the same last but sometimes that doesn’t mean much.

I've got 4 pairs of Higgins Mill in 4 different materials: shell, CXL, calfskin, and waxed suede. I find they all roughly fit the same, aside from the shell version, which is a touch looser as shell is wont to do.

I've got 1 pair of Freeport boots in suede.

With all that being said, the Freeport fits me pretty close to the way the Higgins Mill does. I feel like the Higgins Mill has slightly less instep space, but more toe box space in comparison to the Freeport. I also think the heel of the Freeport is a touch narrower than the HM. Keep in mind that I only have one pair of Freeport boots to compare to, so if mine were lasted slightly differently than others, it could be skewing my perception.

Speaking of Freeport boots, Happy Freeport Friday to those of you who celebrate. RIP sweet prince!
IMG_7812.jpg

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all that being said, the Freeport fits me pretty close to the way the Higgins Mill does. I feel like the Higgins Mill has slightly less instep space, but more toe box space in comparison to the Freeport. I also think the heel of the Freeport is a touch narrower than the HM.

Donkey nailed my experience exactly. 4 HM (2 CXL, 1 kudu, 1 shell) and 3 FP (2 suede, 1 shell). Outside of my trunk show Freeports that are clearly lasted tighter than expected... the instep/tongue is slightly tighter on the HM, but it has more volume in toebox and the heel is a little sloppier for me.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice - specs AND seersucker in NOLA. Straw hats off to you!

Even had a walkin biscuit earlier in the day.

Stopped for breakfast on the way to St. Louis #1 and the biscuit was "left over". Took it along to snack on during the stroll and a fella popped out of a shop as he was opening and said 'Yeooww, he got seersucker AND a walkin' biscuit!'

Such a fun town.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, it’s been a while since I perused this thread. I think I stopped subscribing once the Queen’s reign was cut short. Anyway, I’ve been seeing ads for the Dallas Roper that may rope me back in. Anybody try it yet? I like the silhouette but not a fan of the sole treatment. Would prefer double JR and a hefty rubber heel cap. Are they made in Wisconsin? Would be a nice makeup for a special order trunk show (maybe shell, idk).

Good to see you. I'm not around much either these days.

I got the Austin when it came out - I posted about it earlier. Same last. It fits almost like a MacNeil, narrow toe / wide heel. The vtread isn't great but it held up OK walking across a wet jimmy John's floor so can't be too bad.

As someone with a high instep and lots of familiarity with western, if the roper was so stiff there is a very real possibility you couldn't get it on even. Ive tried a fair number of boots like this and it's very hit or miss. Ostrich quill or soft calf or python seem to be forgiving. The whole thing in shell....wow that would be spectacular but I just don't know....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads