• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spring jackets beyond sport jackets?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm aiming to expand my spring jacket (intended for 10-15 degrees Celsius weather) wardrobe, though spring is ending. Post-pandemic lines have blurred and I see less and less classic sport coats and blazers out.

What are good options, and better yet, what are good options you can go to your tailor for as alternatives to sport jackets?

A trench coat, long or short, is always great but can look much too formal for many contexts. Others that look more raincoat than semi-formal or casual outerwear, I'll save for heavy rain.

A Barbour waxed jacket is also classic, but can look much too rustic for many contexts.

Safari jackets seem way too busy and I have never pulled the trigger.

Overshirts do not seem to work for me.

I'll revisit my racer leather jackets and bomber jackets, and might go for sleeker and more minimalist ones here. I'll also revisit Harrington jackets, same idea.

Should I be looking at Barracuta too?

Last and broadest category is 4-pocket cotton work inspired jackets, would love more input here.

Anything I missed?

notdos

Reaction score
I think the best looking style is a solid colored bomber jacket. Not a fan of the chore style jacket..only because it’s strictly casual imo, where the bomber can be worn with smarter outfits.

Phillip

kid1002

Reaction score
This brand isn't big outside of China, but check this indie brand The Refinery out. They make very good sartorial non-tailored jackets.

Hoping to provide some inspiration for you.

St1X

Reaction score
I love my safari jackets as a more casual alternative for a sport coat. I disagree that they are way too busy. I think they have just enough visual interest to stand out in a smart, but still a casual way without attracting too much unwanted looks that people would give you when you wear a suit or a sport coat

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any good photo inspirations for safari jackets? I did see them
in Milan summer displays a couple seasons back but part of me wonders if you can pull them off in a city street without being older than 60.

kid1002

Reaction score
How about an overshirt but with safari-esque details?

Here's an old piece from Drake's 2019 collection I'm wearing. It's their navy linen overshirt with only two breast pockets instead of the four they go for these days.

I personally really enjoy wearing this piece both casually and with neckwear.

P-IMG6633.JPG

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m personally wondering if overshirts work better on slim guys, and I’m stockier.

I can make oversized streetwear t-shirts work but have not clicked with overshirts, even the Japanese streetwear versions

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so my dilemma is when I see something like this and like it, I find I’d rather get the tailored sport coat version

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are good options, and better yet, what are good options you can go to your tailor for as alternatives to sport jackets?

Anything I missed?
I just ordered a Corso jacket from Epaulet for late April delivery, looks to be a perfect spring time jacket.

CorsoLeader.jpg

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so my dilemma is when I see something like this and like it, I find I’d rather get the tailored sport coat version

I have this one as well as a more traditional knitted jacket (and normal sports coats of course) and it’s just a bit of a different vibe. The Brent’s jacket for me replaces outerwear as something nicer/a bit more dressed up and therefore fits a different occasion than a sports coat. it also works at lower temperatures than a sports coat (with a scarf, for me a sports coat with a scarf looks silly)

epsilon22

Reaction score
I recently bought a navy wool bomber jacket from PWVC, I think it's good for casual settings. It's lighter than my Suitsupply peacoat but still warmer than cotton harringtons/bombers.

Maybe it's because I wasfrom the tropics, but linen overshirts feel like what I'd wear when it's 25C outside, not 15C. I'd be really cold wearing them when it's 10-15C and there's wind lol.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couldn’t agree more.
I remember a thread a couple of years ago where someone was trying to convince us all that suits look good with sneakers / trainers. There were plenty of pictures offered up but in just about every case something like loafers, driving mocs etc would have looked infinitely better.

This is the same kind of theme. So many people seem to be falling over themselves trying to come up with ever more casual versions of established outfits when there’s really no need as the original version is just fine.

This is why I’ve come to despise chore coats, teba jackets etc as they’re just part of the race to the bottom in ever more casual gear. What’s wrong with a blazer / sport coat? Unlined, deconstructed versions for the summer tone down the formality a notch but they look infinitely better than chore coats and the like.

Harringtons / Barracuda's, cotton bomber jackets etc are a different theme really.

kid1002

Reaction score
Couldn’t agree more.
I remember a thread a couple of years ago where someone was trying to convince us all that suits look good with sneakers / trainers. There were plenty of pictures offered up but in just about every case something like loafers, driving mocs etc would have looked infinitely better.

This is the same kind of theme. So many people seem to be falling over themselves trying to come up with ever more casual versions of established outfits when there’s really no need as the original version is just fine.

This is why I’ve come to despise chore coats, teba jackets etc as they’re just part of the race to the bottom in ever more casual gear. What’s wrong with a blazer / sport coat? Unlined, deconstructed versions for the summer tone down the formality a notch but they look infinitely better than chore coats and the like.

Harringtons / Barracuda's, cotton bomber jackets etc are a different theme really.

I definitely see your point. I would tend to agree with this in most cases where people should just wear blazers or suits, as they are, without casual-fying them.

However I do also find charm in casual clothes made of the same traditional fabrics. These types of clothes also bring extra layers of versitility to occasions where blazers aren't required. Obviously you could argue that people should wear blazers nonetheless to these said occasions without fret, but many do fall in such camp I'm referring to, evident in the OP here as well.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there's a place for "dressed up" chore coats and field jackets, though I haven't quite found mine. The repeat appearances of linen field jackets / chore coats in Milan displays should be a hint.

Speaking of this, does anyone here actually wear a linen field jacket or 4-pocket chore coat, the kind that looks like a safari jacket with sensibly sized pockets and mines the belt and any embellishments? I thought those looked good but there's a narrow temperature range where one would actually wear it given it does not provide much warmth and can in fact only be worn on a cooler but not cold summer day. I'm wary it's one of those I'd find nice in theory but end up not wearing every single time because I couldn't be bothered to, and end up not lounging around in a casual jacket that is impractically dry clean only.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads