• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I opted for W/S/L DB last night

20240424_110718.jpg

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really good looking suit. Let us know thoughts. There are stylistic redlines for me, but if it's well regarded enough, perhaps they'd run it back next season with my preferred details. To SM's credit, they did that (not to say my input was the reason, obviously) this season on a number of suits...like the Bryson linen I have somewhere en route as I type.
Due to arrive Thursday.

TwilightMan

Reaction score
What is the product launch schedule typically like with Spier? By when do they release most or all of their new summer sport coats? I am looking for sport coat(s) for casual office wear with very dark blue jeans (cold office even during summers), and although it is cold also outside where I am at now, it will very soon start getting hot outside.

But at the same time I do not like excess wrinkles, and I will be wearing the SC when sitting at my desk as well, giving it plenty of opportunity to get wrinkles. Pretty much all the summer Spier SCs currently available are either pure cotton/linen (definitely not for me) or blends. And from what I understand, under heavy office use, even the blends will get pretty wrinkled?

For example there is not even a single Fresco SC currently available.

Should there be more 100% (or close to 100%) wool/fresco summer-weight SCs available in the near future?

Dapper's W/S/L above doesn't look bad at all in terms of wrinkles - but I am not sure how the fabric would hold up over an entire day with a large amount of sitting? I did see this one that is at least 65% wool:

But of course that lower summer weight I would assume makes even that smaller amount of silk/linen easier to wrinkle...

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the product launch schedule typically like with Spier? By when do they release most or all of their new summer sport coats? I am looking for sport coat(s) for casual office wear with very dark blue jeans (cold office even during summers), and although it is cold also outside where I am at now, it will very soon start getting hot outside.

But at the same time I do not like excess wrinkles, and I will be wearing the SC when sitting at my desk as well, giving it plenty of opportunity to get wrinkles. Pretty much all the summer Spier SCs currently available are either pure cotton/linen (definitely not for me) or blends. And from what I understand, under heavy office use, even the blends will get pretty wrinkled?

For example there is not even a single Fresco SC currently available.

Should there be more 100% (or close to 100%) wool/fresco summer-weight SCs available in the near future?

Dapper's W/S/L above doesn't look bad at all in terms of wrinkles - but I am not sure how the fabric would hold up over an entire day with a large amount of sitting? I did see this one that is at least 65% wool:

But of course that lower summer weight I would assume makes even that smaller amount of silk/linen easier to wrinkle...
Are you anti-navy SC? If no, grab the Minnis Mock Leno (same fabric book as the Minnis Fresco, though of course a meshier, more beefy weave) for sure. That will be exactly what you’re after if wrinkle mitigation is your goal.

IRT release schedule, I have to assume the bulk of their drops have been released as of now

TwilightMan

Reaction score
Are you anti-navy SC? If no, grab the Minnis Mock Leno (same fabric book as the Minnis Fresco, though of course a meshier, more beefy weave) for sure. That will be exactly what you’re after if wrinkle mitigation is your goal.

Thanks.

I'm definitely not anti-navy. However, will that be too close to the jeans color below ("rinse")?

It might not always be that exact color - but I am not a fan of light colored jeans - at least for now. EDIT: I will be wearing more contrasting/light color shirts though, likely with the SC always unbuttoned. Also not sure how the wide Neo Cut lapels look on below average heights like my own (5' 7")?

Last edited:

UncommonSequel

Reaction score
Thanks.

I'm definitely not anti-navy. However, will that be too close to the jeans color below ("rinse")?

It might not always be that exact color - but I am not a fan of light colored jeans - at least for now. EDIT: I will be wearing more contrasting/light color shirts though, likely with the SC always unbuttoned. Also not sure how the wide Neo Cut lapels look on below average heights like my own (5' 7")?

Are you against wearing other types of trousers? Chinos/wool trousers in khaki, olive, stone, cream etc will go well with the mock Leno jacket. I don't think dark wash jeans will go particularly well with most summer sportcoat fabrics. Better suited for fall/winter jackets (tweeds, flannels etc).

JTrent82

Reaction score
Thanks.

Curious what office you're wearing denim to. Blue jeans and a jacket is not a professional look. Maybe I'm just out of touch? Also, fwiw I find Neapolitan cuts to be inherently casual and also not entirely office-appropriate. I know lots of guys here probably sport their Neos at the office, but it's a bit flashy for me in that environment- I think I'd feel self-conscious. I do think the big concave lapels don't work as well on smaller frames. I'm 5'8" and I've come to realize the Neo doesn't work for me unfortunately. Anyway I'm sure there's some high twist on the horizon, though high twist suits are more common than sportcoats. In past seasons they've kept releasing OTR jackets out until June I think.

Last edited:

TwilightMan

Reaction score
Curious what office you're wearing denim to. Blue jeans and a jacket is not a professional look. Maybe I'm just out of touch? Also, fwiw I find Neapolitan cuts to be inherently casual and also not entirely office-appropriate. I know lots of guys here probably sport their Neos at the office, but it's a bit flashy for me in that environment- I think I'd feel self-conscious. I do think the big concave lapels don't work as well on smaller frames. I'm 5'8" and I've come to realize the Neo doesn't work for me unfortunately. Anyway I'm sure there's some high twist on the horizon, though high twist suits are more common than sportcoats. In past seasons they've kept releasing OTR jackets out until June I think.
My office does not have a business dress policy. Casual non-business dress is allowed (and most of the office dresses casual). Some people voluntarily dress more business casual, and almost no one dresses formal unless visiting a client in-person.

Previously I was one of the smaller group of people that always dressed business casual. However I was already working mostly remote before covid, have been 100% remote since covid, have always had the same level of excellent performance/achievements both before and during remote work, but am still now being asked to return to the office even more than required before covid. So I don't really care anymore about dressing more than what they require other than my own standards (which is already higher than the office average).

The only reason I am even bothering to wear a sport coat is because the office is too cold to just wear an undershirt + long sleeve button down shirt + jeans + OTC wool dress socks.

I might consider chinos again at some point, but not sure if there any good ones that are slim, uncuffed, affordable, and don't require ironing to look decent. Finding RTW clothes that can properly fit me even after tailoring is extremely hard.

EDIT: And yeah if I do end up getting a SC, you confirmed my worries about the Neo Cut, so unfortunately those SCs will not work for me either.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, fwiw I find Neapolitan cuts to be inherently casual and also not entirely office-appropriate. I know lots of guys here probably sport their Neos at the office, but it's a bit flashy for me in that environment-

A different opinion here— in no way do I think that the Neo cut is not appropriate for the office. Have worn (non-SM) sportcoats with 4.3” lapels to work (a midwestern medical center) and nobody’s batted an eye. IMO anyone wearing a tailored jacket nowadays is “dressed up”. Nobody’s paying attention to the shape of your lapels.

CLH03

Reaction score
A different opinion here— in no way do I think that the Neo cut is not appropriate for the office. Have worn (non-SM) sportcoats with 4.3” lapels to work (a midwestern medical center) and nobody’s batted an eye. IMO anyone wearing a tailored jacket nowadays is “dressed up”. Nobody’s paying attention to the shape of your lapels.
Agreed. 99% of people don’t have a clue what you’re wearing. Wear what you like

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads