• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gil_Pender

Reaction score
Can confirm that mine is loose. This is probably the 3rd time I'm wearing them.
On the one pair of chinos I have that the button hasn't come off yet, I re-enforced it preemptively. Last thing I need is that button falling off and coming out my pant leg at the urinal at work.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does #menswear hate V-necks and Henleys so aggressively? As much as I like the look of those knit tees (I’d buy out the cream), the crew neck is a DOA proposition.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the one pair of chinos I have that the button hasn't come off yet, I re-enforced it preemptively. Last thing I need is that button falling off and coming out my pant leg at the urinal at work.

That's what I'll do shortly. Which Chino did you get? High rise or regular?

Why does #menswear hate V-necks and Henleys so aggressively? As much as I like the look of those knit tees (I’d buy out the cream), the crew neck is a DOA proposition.

What is DOA? I have what I think is the first drop of the knit tee. I really like it because it adds a more refined look to a regular t shirt. But I find the arms were too long for my taste. Hopefully this drop they fixed that. I would likely pick up a couple more colours. If not, I will pass

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Strange I'm a 38 too but according to my order history I ordered a long sleeve polo in small (ordered in 2022) that I am very happy with. We'll see!

My package came in over the weekend. The polo is too small so will return and order a Medium. The pants will need to be tapered. Otherwise fairly happy with my purchases.

seabeast

Reaction score
First-time poster here. I'm thinking of ordering an SM off-the-rack (OTR?) suit, but worried about the fit across the back. A 44L in most jackets almost fits, but tends to be annoyingly tight across my back over my shoulderblades. Apparently I'm hunched a bit. If I size up to 46, the shoulders are clearly too large, so that doesn't seem a reasonable option. I might add that my last suit was purchased over 20 years ago, so I don't really have a good reference point for something that fits. The tailor at a local men's wear store (ahem) assured me any of their 44L could be let out enough for me, so apparently I don't need much extra. Or maybe they just want my money.

Question: has anyone had the back let out a little in an ORT jacket? How much extra fabric is in the center seam? I also haven't found measurements online for the back of SM jackets; anyone have a source for the armhole-to-armhole measurement for a 44L? I am exchanging email with S&M, but haven't gotten any definitive info yet, so I figured I'd see if anyone here has experience with this.

Thanks for any help!

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
It's hard to tell without seeing a picture of you wearing a 44L or at least if you had teh #s for the 44 jacket, but FWIW, SM's contemporary fit is a bit snugger than most 46s, and is probably more like a 45 on the scale used by other brands. This might very well solve your problem right off the bat. Plus, they have free returns on 1st time purchases if you live in teh US or Canada, IIRC, so no risks there; just buy both and return one.

In general though, it's unusual to let out the center seam for some reason. My old tailor would do side seams only and said he would do the center one under very specific circumstances only, but I never figured out what that situation was.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
First-time poster here. I'm thinking of ordering an SM off-the-rack (OTR?) suit, but worried about the fit across the back. A 44L in most jackets almost fits, but tends to be annoyingly tight across my back over my shoulderblades. Apparently I'm hunched a bit. If I size up to 46, the shoulders are clearly too large, so that doesn't seem a reasonable option. I might add that my last suit was purchased over 20 years ago, so I don't really have a good reference point for something that fits. The tailor at a local men's wear store (ahem) assured me any of their 44L could be let out enough for me, so apparently I don't need much extra. Or maybe they just want my money.

Question: has anyone had the back let out a little in an ORT jacket? How much extra fabric is in the center seam? I also haven't found measurements online for the back of SM jackets; anyone have a source for the armhole-to-armhole measurement for a 44L? I am exchanging email with S&M, but haven't gotten any definitive info yet, so I figured I'd see if anyone here has experience with this.

Thanks for any help!

I have S&M sport jackets and suits in both 46R Contemporary and 44L Contemporary. So I can help you with some measurements. But do you know exactly what you need? Sounds like you might not. If you don't have something that fits you perfectly, how will you use measurements to help? I know you can measure your body, but it is a lot better to compare the measurements of a garment that fits well to a garment you are thinking to buy.

Also, what suit are you after? Is it "Neo" cut from S&M or not? That will make a difference.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
It's hard to tell without seeing a picture of you wearing a 44L or at least if you had teh #s for the 44 jacket, but FWIW, SM's contemporary fit is a bit snugger than most 46s, and is probably more like a 45 on the scale used by other brands. This might very well solve your problem right off the bat.
This is a good point. My 46 jackets from S&M fit trimmer than 44s I have from Hugo Boss.

seabeast

Reaction score
It's hard to tell without seeing a picture of you wearing a 44L or at least if you had teh #s for the 44 jacket, but FWIW, SM's contemporary fit is a bit snugger than most 46s, and is probably more like a 45 on the scale used by other brands. This might very well solve your problem right off the bat. Plus, they have free returns on 1st time purchases if you live in teh US or Canada, IIRC, so no risks there; just buy both and return one.

In general though, it's unusual to let out the center seam for some reason. My old tailor would do side seams only and said he would do the center one under very specific circumstances only, but I never figured out what that situation was.

I have a 44L Haggar jacket that is a bit large, and it measures 20" from armhole to armhole across the back. I also have (but intend to return because it's too snug in the back) a Bluffworks Gramercy jacket in 44L that measures 18" across the back.

I'm probably doing it wrong, but when I try measuring the shoulder on these jackets I get 21.5" for the Haggar and 19.5" for the Bluffworks, which is again a pretty huge difference.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
I have a 44L Haggar jacket that is a bit large, and it measures 20" from armhole to armhole across the back. I also have (but intend to return because it's too snug in the back) a Bluffworks Gramercy jacket in 44L that measures 18" across the back.

I'm probably doing it wrong, but when I try measuring the shoulder on these jackets I get 21.5" for the Haggar and 19.5" for the Bluffworks, which is again a pretty huge difference.

Can you post pics of how you are measuring?

What do you mean by armhole to armhole? Do you mean the centers of the pit seams, but measured across the back? Or do you mean something else? Please take a pic with the tape and show what you mean.

seabeast

Reaction score
I have S&M sport jackets and suits in both 46R Contemporary and 44L Contemporary. So I can help you with some measurements. But do you know exactly what you need? Sounds like you might not. If you don't have something that fits you perfectly, how will you use measurements to help? I know you can measure your body, but it is a lot better to compare the measurements of a garment that fits well to a garment you are thinking to buy.

Also, what suit are you after? Is it "Neo" cut from S&M or not? That will make a difference.
This one: https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/charcoal--10005t-0013-nsnt-ss23

Also looking at this one with "bi-stretch": https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/medium-gray-bi-stretch-201b-14-nsnt-fw22

Both are Contemporary fit, and not Neo.

I don't have a jacket that fits perfectly. My intention was to get the shoulders and length close and then head to a tailor. But that cunning plan is turning out to be harder than expected due to this fit issue.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
This one: https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/charcoal--10005t-0013-nsnt-ss23

Also looking at this one with "bi-stretch": https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/medium-gray-bi-stretch-201b-14-nsnt-fw22

Both are Contemporary fit, and not Neo.

I don't have a jacket that fits perfectly. My intention was to get the shoulders and length close and then head to a tailor. But that cunning plan is turning out to be harder than expected due to this fit issue.

All of mine are Contemporary fit, but all of them are Neo.

Comparing the measurements on the size charts, it seems that the Neo models all have an extra bit (about 0.2 inches extra) in the shoulder. So I'm concerned that if I measure my jacket anywhere in that top area, mine would be somewhat different from yours.

seabeast

Reaction score
Can you post pics of how you are measuring?

What do you mean by armhole to armhole? Do you mean the centers of the pit seams, but measured across the back? Or do you mean something else? Please take a pic with the tape and show what you mean.
Yes, centers of the pit seams.

Attachments

• PXL_20230228_080456411.jpg
    PXL_20230228_080456411.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 169

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Yes, centers of the pit seams.

Gotcha - pic was very helpful.

Bearing in mind that mine are Neo (so not quite the same in terms of shoulder as the items you are considering, according to the S&M size charts) my 44L Contemp measures 19.5" where you are measuring, and my 46R Contemp measures 20" where you are measuring.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluenose