• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
I hear you. Yes the button stance is higher on Ivy stuff. The jackets were typically worn with higher rise pants and/or no break trousers. It doesn’t work as well with modern mid/low rise trousers IMO.

oh I still like and wear high rise trousers regardless of my suit/sport jackets buttoning point. I just figure it would make more sense to bring the Ivy style jacket into modern times (not going overboard and making it very tight fitting or anything like that) and give it a more louche/slouchy feel with a deeper V area (or someone could argue im bastardizing the style lol which is fair as well)

Basically take the Neo cut buttoning point and tweak it with Ivy details that we’ve all discussed (zero padding in sboulders, no shirring, swelled edges, lapped seams, patch flaps, no darts, maybe a 3.75in lapel. I could live without a single vent or 2 buttons on the sleeve. Beggars can’t be choosers lol)

also, love the new flannel sport shirts. Especially the brown/blue. Will be purchasing once it gets cooler in Phoenix lol

Last edited:

pyunghwa

Reaction score
Speaking of ivy jackets, saw this posted by permanent style. Is this considered a true ivy jacket?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210828-120849_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210828-120849_Chrome.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 116

Bidouleroux

Reaction score
Hello ??

Hopefully someone can educate me a little on this ?
I always buy 38 regular (US) jackets which fits me quite well without further tailoring but I have noticed that I will get dimples on the back of the neck and shoulder area when not having a completely straight back. It isn’t something that bothers me a whole lot but I was wondering what might be the reason behind it. I have seen this on others suits jackets as well but I have also noticed that some don’t seem to have this “problem”.
Is it that I might have to up a size (40 US) or is it on the contrary due to too much fabric in the back? Or is it just a posture issue that us with bad posture buying OTR need to deal with ??‍♂️.

Any advice would be great ?
Fotos attached (standing and “sitting”)

(Spier and Mackay 38 regular)

4824B4B2-EDBA-4A71-A758-3FB447AF9A87.jpeg

C9E86109-1C00-4B3B-B987-DD73DE7F6C00.jpeg

(Spier and Mackay 38 slim fit, definitely too slim after my post pandemic physics ?)

77EEB713-1896-4F74-B4EA-45A962209378.jpeg

View attachment 1659562

It's commonly called "collar roll" and it's not from bad posture, it's just that the jacket is not cut to accommodate your natural posture. Most jackets are cut for the average guy with a slight downward shoulder slope and a slight forward slouch. If your posture is more upright or your shoulders have a steeper downward slope the fabric will tend to bunch up between your shoulders unless you compensate by pulling back your shoulder blades (what you call "having a completely straight back"). When we sit we tend to shrug our shoulders so it can exacerbate the mismatch and cause more bunching.

First thing to do is to try standing and sitting naturally with your shoulders relaxed, looking straight ahead; no shrugging, no pulling back to compensate. Ideally, have someone take a picture from the side and the back so you're not moving yourself. If there's still a roll in either position, show it to your tailor and ask if he can fix it. If he can't, find a better tailor.

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
Alright guys, MTO question. There was a lot of discussion about “Ivy features” and what was available in the note section. I’ve picked a fabric and I’m ready to see how it turns out. (Going with the Marling and Evans wool/linen gray hopsack). Not sure how well the wool/linen will take to it but I’m willing to give it a try.

Since I’m volunteering to be a guinea pig- what Ivy features can/should I request in the notes section? I remember swelled edges was one of them.

1. 3.5” notch lapels.
2. 3 roll 2 button front.
3. Unpadded shoulder, with a slight Spalla Camicia and no shoulder shirring.
4. Quarter inch swelled edges and lapped seams.
5. Single vent in rear.
6. Patch pockets with flaps for hip pockets. Normal chest pocket.
7. Two cuff buttons instead of four.

And obviously a sack/dartless cut.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does S&M have a designated season/time when they discount custom shirts?
Do they give a multi (4) custom shirt order discount?

@spiermackay
I believe they have a custom shirt discount right now that if you buy 3 or more there is a slight discount (unsure). Otherwise, sometimes around Black Friday/Boxing Day they usually do it.

david.flo

Reaction score
Just went to wear my one spier and mackay dress shirt, it's only been worn once, washed once on medium and air dried. The sleeves shrunk one inch and is no longer wearable. Have other's experienced this?
I didn't have good luck with the oxfords it shrunk considerable

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't have good luck with the oxfords it shrunk considerable
Same issue with oxfords 3 years ago. I haven't purchased one since because of it. Heard they've addressed that though.
Cold wash, air dry. Fellow you quoted washed warm. Mistake. Cold/tap is the key.

Twills and oxford cloth dress shirts, lots of both, minimal shrinkage; maybe half inch at worst, and most of the time less than that, probably 1/4. The one and only bad shrink experience I had along those lines was with a poplin, which is notorious for that. This was 3-4 years ago, and Rick did address the poplin issue. No shrink issues since, not even with poplin.

Rob_Gaines

Reaction score
Cold wash, air dry. Fellow you quoted washed warm. Mistake. Cold/tap is the key.

Twills and oxford cloth dress shirts, lots of both, minimal shrinkage; maybe half inch at worst, and most of the time less than that, probably 1/4. The one and only bad shrink experience I had along those lines was with a poplin, which is notorious for that. This was 3-4 years ago, and Rick did address the poplin issue. No shrink issues since, not even with poplin.
Good to know! I washed my original oxfords on cold amd lost an inch in the collar and sleeves

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sona Umar