• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking your experiences with SuitSupply "Custom Made To Measure" (bespoke?)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All good points, but I think there is an option between MTM with house fabric and $3500 bespoke and it may be what @gimpwiz is looking for.

He doesn't wear suits much, but when he does he wants it to look great and be able to count on it for a while for special occasions.

Something like Tailors Keep (which I think counts as 3 fitting bespoke not MTM) gets you substantial time with a good tailor to help with the vision issue mentioned, a great fit, and branded fabric. There is one round of adjustments built into the $1700-3000 price they gave me.

Another option is the Hong Kong tailors that travel through the bay area, which can shave the cost down to $1200 for a canvassed suit with a fabric like VBC. HK is a bit of a minefield, but there is a whole thread to help you navigate it and there are some great low cost options. (A major portion of process of making your suit will occur in China)

My personal opinion is an emphatic yes on the waistcoat if it doesn't bust the budget after you've settled on the suit you want.

I would only say that spending so much money on a suit ($1000+) seems a bit much, especially when you consider you are not entirely sure how the suit should fit. I don't mean fit in terms of measurements. I am referring more how you interact with the suit.

I just feel you can probably pick up a Navy SC, as suggested by @dauster, to experiment with what feels comfortable but looks good. Two key parts of a suit are fit and comfort (color being the third critical component).

Just wouldn't want you to get stuck with a suit that looks good, but then you repent spending all that money when your comfort level isn't there. Once you've nailed down your measurements, you could always do a versatile Navy SC followed with maybe a Dark Grey or Charcoal suit for the $1500-$1750.

Also be aware, you may want to purchase a nice new pair of shoes to go with those new threads. Leave a few extra coins for a pair of leathers (completely biased here but shoes make the outfit ??).

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's very useful. A variety of perspectives and opinions - thank you!

I'll see about an off the rack setup to not complicate things. When looking online, the stuff that looks nicer to me is already in the near- or slightly over $1000 range (which heavily overlaps with the more custom stuff), so I'm not too firm on a price ceiling. I'd rather buy nice than buy twice - I know a suit isn't a ratchet wrench, but surely some of the concepts apply - get the right thing from the get-go that fits in a budget. If it wasn't for the price overlap I probably wouldn't have been drawn to mtm/etc; as mentioned I _think_ that I have a simple body style.

I'll make sure to figure out a chest size. Kinda figured that during the suit buying phase that'd be, yknow, figured out by the pros. But perhaps it's better to show up better prepared.

I appreciate the advice on how to pose for a photo for feedback. I'll probably do that before committing to a purchase.

And thanks for the note about shoes. I have a pair from Beckett Simonon. I don't know their reputation around these parts but I have no real complains. Got the simplest style in a burgundy (oxblood?) and waited like four months. I've heard some folks express that brown shoes don't go with blue suits but most online seem to not hold that opinion - and it might be just far too arbitrary for me to care ... if they're even considered brown.

Regarding those who like the waistcoat: I don't see myself wearing the three piece except maybe once or so. But some talk about the waistcoat with a shirt and matching / different trousers but no jacket, which sounds attractive for a hot california day. Any recommendations there regarding style - and whether to even consider it?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But some talk about the waistcoat with a shirt and matching / different trousers but no jacket, which sounds attractive for a hot california day. Any recommendations there regarding style - and whether to even consider it?

Don't do this. This is a bad look. It's very Justin Timberlake circa 1990s.

If you like tailoring, but want something more casual than a suit, go for a sport coat and wear it without a tie. If you want to go more casual than that, you can try genuine casualwear. Or, if you still prefer a smarter look, just browse Permanent Style. Simon there generally has good suggestions for guys who like a dressier look, and he occasionally covers the more casual side of that world.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Just catching up on this thread and am kind of surprised by the turn it took. It's probably true that for a first suit, there's nothing wrong with OTR. My go-to navy suit is a mainline Hart Schaffner Marx from Nordstrom, and I like that it will always look good and feel good. However, that said, I'm not sure I'd jump right in with the idea that good custom clothes are in the $3000 ballpark. That's getting pretty close to high-end bespoke, and certainly more than smaller London bespoke outfits charge... OP can probably go to some tailor shop that has a deal with Southwick MTM and just as easily go "I know nothing; make me a full canvas suit with VBC fabric," and end up with something pretty good for $1200.

I'm also not entirely against the odd vest, or vest meant to be worn outside. Actually, one of my suits has a rather unique vest in that it comes with both a fabric back, lapels, AND a collar. I don't wear it as a separate much, but I do often wear it with the trousers but no jacket, and it feels more complete and less like I just took off the jacket. The problem is that the fabric is 13oz flannel, so when I wear the vest and jacket, there's a lot of fabric piled around the back of my neck. Plus the jacket was cut to sit tight on my neck, and the beefy fabric from the vest sort of pops the jacket off my shoulders a bit, which I admit looks a touch off. But I like it anyway for what it is and would not immediately write off a potentially versatile garment as 90s-bad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads