• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

hysteria

Reaction score
I received my PS polos in size M and L. L is definitely too big for me, but even M feels a bit off in fit. The hem ribbing feels quite loose (compared to some other knitwear I have), they just don't hug my trousers enough, and would slowly fall down, and the polo is a bit too long for my taste if it just hangs like that.

There's also this rather prominent roll below the collar on my back. Not liking the way it looks from the side/back, even though the collar looks really good from the front.

View attachment 2163777

Another small nitpick, the buttonholes feel a touch too snug for the buttons to pass through. Maybe they'll give a bit over time, not sure.

Overall, I like the collar shape and height (for wearing with a sport coat), the fabric is nice and crisp, very lightweight, but not too sure about the fit. I think I'll end up returning both.
Would love to see fit photos

Snaap

Reaction score
Maybe it fits better here.

I recently saw an Avon Celli Cashmere sweater and cant decide whether to keep or not so I thought to get some help here.

From I can tell it seems to be in quite nice condition though the hems feel a tiny bit stetched out (for sure not unusable) apart from that I have no idea about age, ply or anything else.
The fit is a bit on the looser side but for a chunky sweater I dont really mind.
Price is 200€.

From my reseach (incl in this thread) AC seems to have a good reputation for knit though they dont seem to have a website anymore. Any thoughts about the brand, the piece and the price?

Please ignore the horrible trousers :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• Photo 13.04.24, 14 11 32.jpg
    Photo 13.04.24, 14 11 32.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Photo 13.04.24, 14 11 50.jpg
    Photo 13.04.24, 14 11 50.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Photo 13.04.24, 14 12 06.jpg
    Photo 13.04.24, 14 12 06.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Photo 13.04.24, 14 12 23.jpg
    Photo 13.04.24, 14 12 23.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 53
  • s-l1600[1].jpg
    s-l1600[1].jpg
    247 KB · Views: 136
  • s-l1600[1].jpg
    s-l1600[1].jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 140

Johnny80

Reaction score
For that price and that yarn (just from pictures looks like an 6ply-8ply with 7gg) you got a good deal, the fit is ok for a chunky knit. That kind of knit it suppose to be worn with something underneath anyway, so if it was on the slimmer side that would looked odd and out of place
Also try it with trousers that you know you will wear it, to see how the fit looks as a whole

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For that price and that yarn (just from pictures looks like an 6ply-8ply with 7gg) you got a good deal, the fit is ok for a chunky knit. That kind of knit it suppose to be worn with something underneath anyway, so if it was on the slimmer side that would looked odd and out of place
Also try it with trousers that you know you will wear it, to see how the fit looks as a whole

Do you have more detailed information on Avon Celli? It was a very reputable producer.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it fits better here.

I recently saw an Avon Celli Cashmere sweater and cant decide whether to keep or not so I thought to get some help here.

From I can tell it seems to be in quite nice condition though the hems feel a tiny bit stetched out (for sure not unusable) apart from that I have no idea about age, ply or anything else.
The fit is a bit on the looser side but for a chunky sweater I dont really mind.
Price is 200€.

From my reseach (incl in this thread) AC seems to have a good reputation for knit though they dont seem to have a website anymore. Any thoughts about the brand, the piece and the price?

Please ignore the horrible trousers :)

Thanks!

Beautiful knitpiece in a lovely colour. Looks very substantial.

Johnny80

Reaction score
Do you have more detailed information on Avon Celli? It was a very reputable producer.
Unfortunatly Avon Celli was for quite some time out but it was acquired by Lavori. It was relaunch in late 2022 if i remember correctly and since then i never had something from it. In the past was an established brand as an bridge between classic and fashion segment, like lets say Tom Ford. It wasnt an full vertical brand and now even less, in the past they took yarns from multiple mills, not from the best yarns but still good enough. I would place it around Agnona but i still prefer the latter even if its hard to find an classic knit RTW

epsilon22

Reaction score
Not too familiar with vicuna, but is access to that material restricted to only several companies? If it's a government-controlled market, I can imagine corrupt officials only awarding permits/contracts to companies that bribe them.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of brands that source Vicuna for garments. However, there may be a limited number of mills that can source the raw material. Maybe more rare is Guanaco fabric, while maybe not as expensive as Vicuna.

HotDilf

Reaction score
Already dreading the arrival of warmer weather and looking forward to fall sweater weather. Took the time to bring out the summer linens hidden in the in the depths of my wardrobe and stored the thicker knits. Triple protection for moth proofing purposes: they are first tucked into cotton zip bags with lavender sachets, then put into larger zip bags normally used for storing bedding with Irish Spring soap bars, and finally stored in drawers lined with freshly-sanded cedar planks.

IMG_0239.jpg

These thinner cashmere knits are not stored as they get worn year round, even in the summer months in an air-conditioned home.

Capture d’écran, le 2024-04-16 à 22.49.10.png

derek (the funny) guy @dieworkwear

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Already dreading the arrival of warmer weather and looking forward to fall sweater weather. Took the time to bring out the summer linens hidden in the in the depths of my wardrobe and stored the thicker knits. Triple protection for moth proofing purposes: they are first tucked into cotton zip bags with lavender sachets, then put into larger zip bags normally used for storing bedding with Irish Spring soap bars, and finally stored in drawers lined with freshly-sanded cedar planks.

View attachment 2168861
These thinner cashmere knits are not stored as they get worn year round, even in the summer months in an air-conditioned home.

View attachment 2168863
derek (the funny) guy @dieworkwear
Did not realize that Irish Spring soap bars repel moths.

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did not realize that Irish Spring soap bars repel moths.

As testified by others elsewhere on the forum currently, it is apparent that lavender, cedar (and no doubt soap) are absolutely useless for these intended purposes, and can personally confirm this myself in the case of the first two.

Coincidentally, the last couple of years I have really given up keeping the dust at bay in the hovel the Lord of the Manor provides for me (trying more to live up to my name), and left absolutely all spiders to have free reign of the place (proving a great cure for someone who grew up truly arachnophobic, and now have much affection for them).

Formerly having a major clothes-moth problem when the place was kept "clean", this post has made me realise I see a tiny fraction of moths as previously, and no knitwear casualties thus far - without any of the excessive and obsessive protective measures outlined above and in the other thread.

Laziness has a lot of undisclosed rewards (beyond the obvious) - many things take care of themselves.

Last edited:

ianskelly

Reaction score
As testified by others elsewhere on the forum currently, it is apparent that lavender, cedar (and no doubt soap) are absolutely useless for these intended purposes, and can personally confirm this myself in the case of the first two.

Coincidentally, the last couple of years I have really given up keeping the dust at bay in the hovel the Lord of the Manor provides for me (trying more to live up to my name), and left absolutely all spiders to have free reign of the place (proving a great cure for someone who grew up truly arachnophobic, and now have much affection for them).

Formerly having a major clothes-moth problem when the place was kept "clean", this post has made me realise I see a tiny fraction of moths as previously, and no knitwear casualties thus far - without any of the excessive and obsessive protective measures outlined above and in the other thread.

Laziness has a lot of undisclosed rewards (beyond the obvious) - many things take care of themselves.
My strategy is simple. I bought a long deep tuppaware from Aldi and I can fit a good 10 jumpers in it. Then put it in the wardrobe . Job done.

bluespirit

Reaction score

Lavender and cedar are useless. I've been fighting moths for months and I've tried everything: natural repellents, chemical repellents, pheromone traps, etc.

The only thing that works for me is placing an old wool sweater I don't care about above the wardrobe, and keep the repellents inside. Moths will go towards the "easiest" prey and eat the old knit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads