• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rubato

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Standard Crewneck?

I have two and I like them very much! They are relatively short and make a flattering figure. Be sure to check if they are long enough. Otherwise I would suggest sizing up.
I'm 6'4 and with higher waisted trousers (Rubato chinos, Berg&Berg jeans) I find the length of Rubato knitwear is perfect. I tend to size up (to XXL) for a more relaxed fit, but the length would probably be optimal if I wore my usual XL.

vegancrabcakes

Reaction score
Just received my brushed shetland crewneck, and I am pleased overall. The length is on the shorter side (but not to the extreme). I also took note of some nice details like the thickness of the collar material (which appears to be folded over/doubled), the snugness of the collar, as well as the turn-back cuffs. The lambswool is relatively lightweight but still has nice thickness/warmth.

gwilliams84

Reaction score
Really like that someone started this thread - I'm a fan of the brand, but I sometimes feel that their website lacks product information. Great to hear other people's experiences with some real world photos.

On a general note, from what I've ordered, I think the quality of their product is good. Yes, it's perhaps a little expensive, but I think they also put a lot of thought into simple, yet distinct designs.

To share my experiences so far:

1. Dress chinos in heavy cotton twill. Material drapes well, is hard wearing but elegant. I'm between a 46/48 and went with the 46. They're more relaxed in the leg than what I'm used to (Armoury Sport Chinos are my most relaxed fitting trousers), but I'm going to give them a few wears before deciding whether or not to slim them (I'm starting to get used to more relaxed trousers).

2. Nonpareil polo shirts (cotton/silk blend) and t-shirts (cotton). I bought these on sale because they are expensive. In saying, I really like these items. Very well made, very luxurious and the polo collars are distinct with a vintage feel, but not ostentatious/loud.

3. Denim: I have the denim in ecru and, for me, I love the fit. I did a lot of research, and wanted high rise (I find much easier to wear with tailoring), relaxed in the thigh (I'm a cyclist, so I need a bit more room here), something that was slubby but not too slubby (I've seen a pair from Warehouse which were beautiful, but a little too slubby for my taste) and a straight fit (if I had bought the indigo or black, I may have tapered them from the knee down, but I like a straight fit in ecru to avoid the playboy connotations).
I have washed indigo Orslow jeans in a 107 fit, which I like, but I prefer the fit of the Rubato because it is more relaxed in the thigh and a higher rise.

4. Roper shirt: I just bought this in indigo and white, as I'm fan of Western shirts and had especially been looking for one in white. While I haven't tried the Bryceland's one in the flesh, I had intended on purchasing one from Bryceland's later this year, as I was going to be in Tokyo. This is why I chose to pull the trigger on the Roper, and I'm very happy I did: (a) a lighter weight denim (I live in Sydney, so the 10oz Bryceland's would have only been worn in winter), (b) the denim on the Rubato is still a 3x1 twill, so it's tough and still has the drape of a proper Western shirt, but is softer, and (c) the pockets are not sawtooth (I like sawtooth pockets, but they are a little bit more aggressively Western). The fit is as described on me, comfortable but flattering - slim enough to wear on its own, with enough room that I can wear it as an overshirt (I am 5'9.5", 158 lbs with a 38.5" chest and purchased a small).

Sorry that was wordy, but hopefully it's of use.

henrip

Reaction score
Great review! Does the denim shrink in wash or strectch a lot after few days of wear? I’m planning on ordering two sizes of ecru denim tomorros and see how they fit. Should be interesting 👍

gwilliams84

Reaction score
Great review! Does the denim shrink in wash or strectch a lot after few days of wear? I’m planning on ordering two sizes of ecru denim tomorros and see how they fit. Should be interesting 👍
Good to hear. All of their denim is rinsed to remove shrinking, however I can only speak to the ecru. I ordered a size 31, which was perfect in terms of my waist measurement, and it has NOT shrunk after a number of washes (I was nervous because I always buy jeans one size down to account for stretch)

sargeinaz

Reaction score
Good to hear. All of their denim is rinsed to remove shrinking, however I can only speak to the ecru. I ordered a size 31, which was perfect in terms of my waist measurement, and it has NOT shrunk after a number of washes (I was nervous because I always buy jeans one size down to account for stretch)
Did the size 31 measurements match their sizing chart?

Coastal Ivy

Reaction score
This is my question exactly, do they stretch with wear?

I think every pair of jeans I have stretch and shrink with wear and wash (respectively).

Usually I try to buy a half inch (1.3cm) down from my waist size. Although blackhorse lane explicitly listed a 1 inch stretch on the pair I have from them.

henrip

Reaction score
So the ecru jeans and indigo roper shirt arrived today.

Size 32 ecru denim is too roomy in the legs and 31 a bit thight (waist and hips mainly), but if they stretch a little they should be perfect. Denim feels quite soft so I imagine it would stretch 🤔. So the one size down strategy has worked out well for you @gwilliams84 ,right?

Roper shirt in indigo is beautiful. Quite long to be worn untucked though. The pearl snaps are wonderful detail. I only ordered medium and it seems the right size.

I’m 184cm and 88kg (couple kilos heavier than normally)

gwilliams84

Reaction score

Size 32 ecru denim is too roomy in the legs and 31 a bit thight (waist and hips mainly), but if they stretch a little they should be perfect. Denim feels quite soft so I imagine it would stretch 🤔. So the one size down strategy has worked out well for you @gwilliams84 ,right?

Roper shirt in indigo is beautiful. Quite long to be worn untucked though. The pearl snaps are wonderful detail. I only ordered medium and it seems the right size.

Sounds like you nailed it with the 31. Mine have stretched slightly (maybe 1cm in the waist), then they shrink back in the wash and stretch out again with wear. However this stretch is way less than what I had with raw denim, or even rinsed pair from Pure Blue which were more low tension denim (which both stretch about an inch in the waist)

gwilliams84

Reaction score
This is my question exactly, do they stretch with wear?

I think every pair of jeans I have stretch and shrink with wear and wash (respectively).

Usually I try to buy a half inch (1.3cm) down from my waist size. Although blackhorse lane explicitly listed a 1 inch stretch on the pair I have from them.
Sorry, my message was misleading. I’m sure these jeans have stretched and shrunk with wear and washing, but no more than 1cm. Whereas other jeans I’ve had (mainly raw or low tension) have stretched at least an inch in the waist and did not shrink back to their original size after a wash (ie they maintained their stretch somewhat)

gwilliams84

Reaction score

Love the Roper shirt and sounds like medium would work for you (I’m a small but I’m a bit smaller than you - 176cms and 72kgs). Agree it’s better tucked but you might get away with untucked as you’re a fair bit taller than me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads