• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rubato

sabmoll

Reaction score
Good morning!

So either my search function is broken or there really is no dedicated thread for this great brand.

I’ve heard a lot of great things about Atempo Rubato over the last couple of years and know that they have participated at some key pop up events as well.

However, what I’m missing is the opinion of fellow members! Sure, things look good on their instagram but how do you all feel about the fits and quality?

From my point of view, their silhouette is quite interesting - a bit wider but nothing over the top, more classical than fashion forward.

As for the price, everything is made in Japan in, I guess, low production numbers, so par for the course?

I especially like the conservative color palette, nothing too crazy.

sabmoll

Reaction score
That’s great to hear! How does the leg opening and full leg line work for you? I think it was over at permanent style that I read that the author wasn’t comfortable at first and had his chinos slimmed down. I guess it’s quite a stretch when you come from a 16-18 cm leg opening.

I felt the same trying on and wearing the Armoury sports chino for the first time. It felt like a huge fit, even though it’s quite slim compared to rubato. That’s why I’m hesitant to try out the chinos.

The new winter chinos seem to be a tad slimmer, by the way.

henrip

Reaction score
I’m really tempted to try their ecru jeans. If someone can compare them to Orslow 105 or Full Count 1108 or 1101 I’d be happy to hear comments on size, fit, fabric and quality.

I also like how their shirts look on lookbooks and instagram and would love to see some fit pics how they actually look in real life.

Adman West

Reaction score
My recommendation for rubato shirts is to size down. I’m typically medium/15.5/39 but I was swimming in a medium. Small fits me beautifully with room for movement. The details on the chambray shirt are beautiful.

I also have a pair of the officers chinos and slimmed them down a bit. I have a 29” inseam though. If I were taller I could see keeping the original proportions.

Adman West

Reaction score
I have my eye on a lot of things in their collection. If anyone is looking to offload anything in a small/32 LMK.

henrip

Reaction score
My recommendation for rubato shirts is to size down. I’m typically medium/15.5/39 but I was swimming in a medium. Small fits me beautifully with room for movement. The details on the chambray shirt are beautiful.

I also have a pair of the officers chinos and slimmed them down a bit. I have a 29” inseam though. If I were taller I could see keeping the original proportions.
May I ask how tall are you and what’s your build? I’m 184cm, weight 86kg and usually M/15,5/39 as well

Rolf

Reaction score
That’s great to hear! How does the leg opening and full leg line work for you? I think it was over at permanent style that I read that the author wasn’t comfortable at first and had his chinos slimmed down. I guess it’s quite a stretch when you come from a 16-18 cm leg opening.

I felt the same trying on and wearing the Armoury sports chino for the first time. It felt like a huge fit, even though it’s quite slim compared to rubato. That’s why I’m hesitant to try out the chinos.

The new winter chinos seem to be a tad slimmer, by the way.

I slimmed them down to 19-20cm myself (can’t really remember), but the make and fit is great.

henrip

Reaction score

The collar seems really low in this picture, how is it really?

IMG_3654.jpeg

Also if you mind sharing any fit pics of the chambray I would highly appreciate ☺️.

sabmoll

Reaction score
It's quite funny - everyone loves the chinos but slims them down. Makes me wonder: why not buy a slimmer fitting chino in the first place? :)

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
I have 3 pairs of their chinos: the original khaki, the pale ecru/stone and brown, as well as two sweaters: a camelhair v-neck (no longer offered) and their original, cable knit sport sweater. The v-neck is the best piece of knitwear I own - love the boxy, short cut. I sized up - at 194cm and 93kg I take the XXL, but I wear it instead of tailoring, so I don't have to worry about it not fitting under a sport coat.

I haven't slimmed my chinos, as the roomier cut is part of the reason I got them.

I did try their denim but didn't like it - I should have probably sized up, but a 34 waist felt much too tight in the legs, and I much prefer the Berg&Berg Antonio cut for denim. But except for that, I'm a total convert to Rubato knitwear - looking at their shetlands next.

Adman West

Reaction score
Posting a few fit pics here as requested. The shirt and chinos are unaltered. They both shrank a bit in a first wash. For context I’m 5’-9” and 155 lbs wearing a size small shirt and size 32 pants.
IMG_0676.jpeg
IMG_0680.jpeg

Adman West

Reaction score
I’m planning to slim the chinos just slightly in the thigh. You can see in the side profile pic the bag a little bit.

Adman West

Reaction score
The shirt has a lot of room but I haven’t decided if I’ll slim down. The fit is v shaped with very wide shoulders. It also has a wide collar for such a casual shirt that sits higher in the back and lower in the front.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads