• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WaltDud

Reaction score
Hey all, question for you guys about these low straights I just got in. I got em for a steal (clarification: I did not steal em) and they're a black on blue color wash that I really like and have in a slim fit. The seller doesn't accept returns but did not answer my question about them being altered. Here they are:

IMG_4140.jpg

Turns out they've been hemmed but in a way I've never seen before... from what I can tell the fabric that was cut off was sown under the pant leg at the right point to retain the original chain-stitch hem and roping:

IMG_4141.jpg

IMG_4142.jpg

My question is would it bother y'all or would you just keep it? They fit pretty good and stop right at the ankle but for some dumb reason, that sticks out for me..

'Preciate your thoughts!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hey all, question for you guys about these low straights I just got in. I got em for a steal (clarification: I did not steal em) and they're a black on blue color wash that I really like and have in a slim fit. The seller doesn't accept returns but did not answer my question about them being altered. Here they are:

View attachment 2173997

Turns out they've been hemmed but in a way I've never seen before... from what I can tell the fabric that was cut off was sown under the pant leg at the right point to retain the original chain-stitch hem and roping:

View attachment 2173999

View attachment 2174001

My question is would it bother y'all or would you just keep it? They fit pretty good and stop right at the ankle but for some dumb reason, that sticks out for me..

'Preciate your thoughts!

European hem?

WaltDud

Reaction score

heebalabala

Reaction score
I know those as "tricky hems." I had one done on a pair of APCs many years ago before I knew any better and absolutely hate it -- never again.

Keep in mind I pretty much always turn up my hems so that's why I view them as an abomination. That, their stiffness, and that little curl-up they do, which I really hate.

Don't let my opinion affect yours -- if you enjoy it and it works for you, go with it.

WaltDud

Reaction score
I know those as "tricky hems." I had one done on a pair of APCs many years ago before I knew any better and absolutely hate it -- never again.

Keep in mind I pretty much always turn up my hems so that's why I view them as an abomination. That, their stiffness, and that little curl-up they do, which I really hate.

Don't let my opinion affect yours -- if you enjoy it and it works for you, go with it.

Nope, everything you said is exactly how I feel and why I don't like 'em. Came here to double-check I wasn't alone.

Would you ever go back to APC's? I see em sometimes on Reddit and Heddels faded but I don't really think they compete with RRL's in my opinion. Could be wrong, I never wore a pair.

kurdo

Reaction score
You don’t get daylight during the week in NL?
I just checked mine outside. Pattern is more visible but still fairly subtle. I like it enough to keep it since it’s going to cost quite a bit to return.
The weather here has been absolutely awful. Sometimes I get irrational because of it, especially when I have to cycle through bone-piercing cold and horizontal rain. In April.

I have so much clothes that I can't wear because of constant rain and high humidity. We maybe have 10 good days in a year where the temperature is pleasant day and night and with low humidity. The winters wet and nasty and so are the summers; 25 degrees Celsius and high humidity, which I know from experience is MUCH worse than 40+ degrees Celsius and low humidity.

I envy people in mediterranean climates :p.

Last edited:

Leroy74

Reaction score

View attachment 2173997

View attachment 2173999

View attachment 2174001

'Preciate your thoughts!
That happened to me with a pair I brought to my wife's tailor instead of my usual denim repair place thinking they knew what they were doing. Couldn't stand it and ended up donating. Waste of $300 + hem cost

Vinnievh92

Reaction score
The weather here has been absolutely awful. Sometimes I get irrational because of it, especially when I have to cycle through bone-piercing cold and horizontal rain. In April.

I have so much clothes that I can't wear because of constant rain and high humidity. We maybe have 10 good days in a year where the temperature is pleasant day and night and with low humidity. The winters wet and nasty and so are the summers; 25 degrees Celsius and high humidity, which I know from experience is MUCH worse than 40+ degrees Celsius and low humidity.

I envy people in mediterranean climates :p.
That is way too recognizable. The work shirts were the first thing I started buying from RRL, but to be honest when it is 25-30 degrees most of them are too warm to fear comfortably.

To work with the climate I'm working on my layering techniques. Work- or westernshirts, t-shirts and henleys as underrshirts and multiple kind of overshirts or jackets. The benefit of it is that I believe layering looks very good and gives a lot of options to make the RRL look look as good as it can.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Nope, everything you said is exactly how I feel and why I don't like 'em. Came here to double-check I wasn't alone.

Would you ever go back to APC's? I see em sometimes on Reddit and Heddels faded but I don't really think they compete with RRL's in my opinion. Could be wrong, I never wore a pair.

I've been using these guys for regular chain stitching. I know plenty of others here do too.
They offer a restoration for those hems.

APC are ... fine. I've got a pair I still wear occasionally.
Plus you can get Pokemon APCs.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I try to buy the right inseam or cuff them, there are guys doing chain stitching in NYC I just couldn't be bothered to travel to there...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads