• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paris recommendations

Narciso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Trocadero, in all its squat ugliness, resembles a neo-fascist monument from Hitler's Berlin. I guess it's okay if you like being harassed by African immigrants selling eiffel tower keychains and counterfeit purses.

It reminds me of Rome's Victor Emmanuel National Monument in its pomposity

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that's why I travel. Can't wait to hit Target and Macy's next time I get stateside. Oh boy.
+100 If you want real eye-opening shopping experience visit Paris flea-market at Port de Clincourt. It is opened Sat-Sun-Mon and it is better than 1Stdibs. If you are a photographer your head would spin from the number of subjects and characters. P.S. If you like Ice cream you should not set your foot into Bertillion. They sell sugary crap on gelatin base, but tourists still eat it by the gallons... Food in Paris is generally as bad as any other big, touristy city, so get recommendations from the people whose taste you trust or end up eating bad food. Honestly NYC has more good restaurants than Paris these days. Remember also that Loding and Bexley shoes are ****, so don't waste your time, visit Carmina store instead. Remember Michelin guide is as accurate as Zagat survey, well actually Zagat survey's popular consensus, occasionally gets it right by accident.

supergaijin

Reaction score
Thanks for the response vill_e.

Here you go.

Well, I think my question lent itself to a wider discussion on the relative buying power of the US dollar in Paris at this moment. You don't want to take part in such a discussion? Your perogative. In truth though, it would have taken you less time to just answer the question civilly than by getting all tetchy. You seem to have been slow in realizing that though. You exhibit the sure signs of a dimshit who is not as clever as he thinks he is by half.

You also seem to be the standard lame expat bore who gets a kick out of playing the schoolyard bully from behind the anonymous safety of a computer screen by lording it over other expats with the "superior" knowledge you have gleaned from nothing more than staying in the same place for a long time. Personally, I would rather be a "noob" than a supercilious, cowardly prick.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You asked a stupid question, you got the answer you deserved. Save your life story for your diary.

ville_e

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ville_e

Is Le Bon Marche a good place to visit for nice tuxedos? I am specifically looking for a double breasted one with peak lapels? Arnys?

Any help on where to find nice rtw tuxedos in paris would be much appreciated.

JohnS

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Paris. What shops, restaurants and hotels (good, moderately priced) would you recommend? i'm specifically looking for some nice shirts (similar to Charvet in quality but more moderate in terms Of pricing) and French scarfs which I can wear with my jackets. Thanks in advance.

I've traveled many times to Paris but a great hotel I've stayed at is the Varenne @ www.varenne-hotel-paris.com - i'ts a very nice 3star not far from the Eiffel tower. It has traditional french decors (i'm not sure if you like that kind of setting) and I had a very comfortable stay!

When is your trip for?

Tractopel

Reaction score
Hey!
There are lots of nice and moderatly priced in Paris, like the hotel Moderne st-germain, in st-germain area. http://www.hotel-paris-stgermain.com/ It's a safe and very lively area. There are tasty restaurants, like the "Zig Zag", a few minutes from the hotel. The Agora st-germain is nice as well, in the same area, very reasonnably priced. http://www.agora-paris-hotel.com/ .
The hotel Lyon Mulhouse is in Bastille area. If you like shopping this area is great! In the rue du Faubourg St-Antoine there are a lot of shops, like Naf Naf, Kookai, Timberland, Nike, etc... http://www.hotel-lyonmulhouse.com/ . And the hotel Lyon Bastille, is close to Gare de Lyon, and 10minutes on foot from Bastille. Gare de lyon is a big station, with a few metro lines and RER lines! http://www.hotellyonbastille.com/fr/hotel.html .
Hope it helped!
laugh.gif

ville_e

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnS
I've traveled many times to Paris but a great hotel I've stayed at is the Varenne @ www.varenne-hotel-paris.com - i'ts a very nice 3star not far from the Eiffel tower. It has traditional french decors (i'm not sure if you like that kind of setting) and I had a very comfortable stay!

When is your trip for?

Unfortunately I am already back in Finland but I will refer back to this thread for further information.

Stayed in the St Germain area and visited many of the restaurants in the area including Brasserie Lipp and Voltaire. I got a fantastic sportcoat at Arnys and a tuxedo from Arthur et Fox. Visited the Modern Art Museum (Basquiat exhibition) and the MusÃ
00a9.png
e d'Orsay. All-in-all a great trip! Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to the Parc du Luxembourg ,sit down and just look around you...

It is free and just soul cleansing..
I got engaged in the Parc du Luxembourg

nice memories

JohnS

Reaction score
Unfortunately I am already back in Finland but I will refer back to this thread for further information.

Stayed in the St Germain area and visited many of the restaurants in the area including Brasserie Lipp and Voltaire. I got a fantastic sportcoat at Arnys and a tuxedo from Arthur et Fox. Visited the Modern Art Museum (Basquiat exhibition) and the MusÃ
00a9.png
e d'Orsay. All-in-all a great trip! Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

Glad to hear you had a fun trip!

seok

Reaction score
Are Charvets and Lobbs in Paris really that much more vs in NYC?

Lobb has 3 stores in Paris--any one with much better selection than the other?

Ignore anyone who says they have a favourite cafÃ
00a9.png
or restaurant: only tourists have these and shockingly, they always happen to be the first serviceable place within 10 minutes of their hotel. In fact, ignore anyone who tells you that you "have to" or "should" see/do/experience anything, it's inevitably just bragging about what they've done instead of intended to be good advice.

I recommend you avoid the first 8 arrondissements completely as they are largely filled with clueless foreigners, overpriced bistrots and kitschy boutiques selling crap, not to mention you're having the same pre-packaged, trite vacation experience as every other rubber-necking tourist. There are obviously some items of interest in there but you won't know how to recognize them so don't bother trying. Do not go anywhere near the Champs Elysees or the Grands Magasins; these are just soulless duty-frees. In fact, don't buy anything in Paris unless you really can't get it elsewhere because it'll be 2x more expensive here than anywhere else. For the love of God don't waste your time visiting Gucci and Louis Vuitton like some Russian mobster asshole, Jesus, what the ****.

Other than that, I recommend you not stop in the middle of the sidewalk in mid-stride to take a picture while I am walking right behind you. I really hate that.

On the do side, it's pretty simple. If you like art, the choice of museums is obvious. If you like monuments, likewise. If you like architecture, just walk around and keep your eyes open, or rent a vÃ
00a9.png
lib and go explore. If you like French gardens, the Tuileries, Luxembourg and the Jardin des Plantes; English: Parcs Monceau, Buttes-Chaumont and Montsouris. If you like shows, pick up copies of La Terrasse and the Pariscope to see what's playing. The OpÃ
00a9.png
ra Bastille is good, the Garnier less so. Go to the market and buy stinky, unpasteurized cheese you're not allowed to eat at home. Pair it with a tradition (not a baguette). Learn a bit of French and read www.paris.fr and www.evous.fr/Paris.html to see what's going on in town in terms of festivals, expos, events, etc.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
am going to be in the city for two days early Sept.
Would be interested to hear some museum recs. I've done the biggies before (LOuvre, Pomp., D'Orsay, Picasso) and I'm interested to hear of other, smaller, lesser-known places which are worth visit.
Any offers?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member