• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received from Barbour the size guide for the OGSTON Jacket, which might be helpful for potential future customers.

Barbour Ogston MWX0700 2.jpg

DavidWatts69

Reaction score
I'd say they are a bit short but it's common among barbour jackets. Can't understand how people are supposed to size down because of that.

It's up to you to choose whether you want to lengthen them or not (I decided to add 7 (seven!) cm to my Beaufort's)

zuzu85

Reaction score
I'd say they are a bit short but it's common among barbour jackets. Can't understand how people are supposed to size down because of that.

It's up to you to choose whether you want to lengthen them or not (I decided to add 7 (seven!) cm to my Beaufort's)
No sizing down is no option. I tried size 38 and 42, but one is too snug (defeats the purpose) and 42 is too big. Where did you lengthen the sleeves? I don’t live in the UK so sending it there might be too costly. Is it worth extending it in my case?

DavidWatts69

Reaction score
No sizing down is no option. I tried size 38 and 42, but one is too snug (defeats the purpose) and 42 is too big. Where did you lengthen the sleeves? I don’t live in the UK so sending it there might be too costly. Is it worth extending it in my case?

I gave it to my local seamstress for her to add courduroy similar to what can be found on the collar. Since mine is a vintage I didn't feel like paying more than the price of the jacket to add non-patina cotton to the sleeves. Yours are less dramatically short than mine though

I'm still waiting to get my jacket back so I can't say right now if it was a good idea.

zuzu85

Reaction score
I gave it to my local seamstress for her to add courduroy similar to what can be found on the collar. Since mine is a vintage I didn't feel like paying more than the price of the jacket to add non-patina cotton to the sleeves. Yours are less dramatically short than mine though

I'm still waiting to get my jacket back so I can't say right now if it was a good idea.
So I should just leave it as it is I guess or return and get something else, like an Ashby. But Ashby are infamous for their polyester lining.

ULCajun

Reaction score
The weather dropped below 90 for the first time so it was time to prep this bicycle jacket. This came to me after being in an attic for 10 years. The wax had completely melted through and was a mess. I was sure the rear game pocket was fake then realized it was just stuck from melted wax. It took A LOT of scrubbing inside and out with cold water and a sponge.
I ended up using a little less than half of the can and an hour and a half or so. For my first time doing this, I think it came out reasonably well. Suppose I’ll find out when we get some rain.
First pic is after wax/blow drying. Second pic is about 15 hours later.
E1803CB2-8E92-4201-A9DD-0B3E78B236A4.jpeg
2AA4F420-F80A-4E40-A07E-C7DB2506672E.jpeg

DavidWatts69

Reaction score

It was indeed a good idea. Wore it for the first time today over a very thick and frankly oversize jumper and it's just... Very good.

Shteve

Reaction score
I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried on a Beausby. Going by the sizing I would assume it's going to fit the same as a Bristol, only with the styling of a Beaufort. The rear pocket features as 2 separate pockets too. Planning to send my Beaufort off for a rewaxing this weekend. With my cat around it's just not a safe idea to try doing it myself! Recently tried the Barbour waxed fedora. The medium was marginally too snug a fit and I had to send it back. A large would be too big. Such a shame as it was good quality and I'd wanted it for so long.

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
Has anyone recently purchased a Border who can comment on the fit, especially the relationship with their chest measurement and jacket size compared to the size Border they went with?

Like many in the past, I'm struggling to nail down my proper size. Before my first purchase, I put on my thickest sweater over an OCBD and measured my chest at 47". I went with a Size 40 in the Border, which has a 50" chest. The 3" difference seemed like a safe move. I read so much about how huge the jacket is since a change in sizing circa 2020 that I didn't want to screw this up given the shipping costs from the UK to the US.

The jacket arrived and the chest was pretty good, though tad snug, but the shoulders were surprisingly tight. It was especially tight under my armpits. At this point I'm not sure that a 42 will be sufficient in the shoulders/armpit as the size chart states Back (armhole to armhole) is only half an inch wider from the 40. If I go up to a 44 it has a whopping 54" chest, +7 over my actual chest measurement, yet that may be the best fit. My current waxed cotton jacket is a slightly roomy Filson Mile Marker, which has a 52" chest, so perhaps a 54" won't be as large as I think it'll be.

Unfortunately the two Barbour stores within reasonable driving distance do not carry the Border in-store.

Not that it matters, but my suit/sport coat size is 44 or 45. Does anyone wear a modern Border in essentially the same size as their sport coat size?

Also, has anyone had a tailor take in the chest on Barbour jacket? Going with a size 44 and having my tailor take in the chest seems like the best solution.

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non-Barbour owner here. I'm looking to pick up a classic jacket in classic materials but honestly I'm a bit confused by all the names and types.

Bedale, Beaufort, Ashford etc. At is the difference and is there a line I should stay away from? Not looking to read through 377 pages. Best place to KOP?

Maturin

Reaction score
I am a true size 40 regular in most sport coats and purchased the Border from the stalwart O'Connell's (Buffalo, NY). I bought the 42 to layer the coat. It's a very large jacket but I think that is sort of the point, fit-wise it means to oversize and then allow a lining to be zipped in. I had a Border 20+ years ago and bought an exceptionally large 46 for layering---and that was a mistake, just too big. I feel confident that the same arm hole problem might appear with a 40 when I'm wearing a tweed underneath, so the 42 was the call. This was originally (I think) a hunting/shooting jacket (stuff that bird in the pocket), so the oversize was part of the design. It's still one of my favorite jackets but it has a slouchy, country look and that seems to me unavoidable and the point of the design.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
latinphrases33