• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really dang good (sweetness is surprisingly enveloping), also really dang overpriced, but made a good deal more tolerable by BevMo’s coupons.

Fun Ardbeg, but Oogy or Corry are comfortably better, imo.

@stephenaf2003 where do you come across those sorts of offerings, out of curiosity?
View attachment 2176209
I picked this up in Vienna, back in 2017. I forgot I had it until I was going through my stash a few months ago.

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what the hype around Springbank stems from? I'm asking in all seriousness as I haven't tried but don't know off hand of any other distillery where regular strength 10yr goes for $150 or more. Can't being myself to pay that price but curious what I'm missing out on.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what the hype around Springbank stems from? I'm asking in all seriousness as I haven't tried but don't know off hand of any other distillery where regular strength 10yr goes for $150 or more. Can't being myself to pay that price but curious what I'm missing out on.
Lack of supply
one of only 2 real distilleries in Campbeltown
no true substitute.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lack of supply
no true substitute.

Huh...

I remember really liking my bottle, but not enough where it was earth shattering.
Hi Times has it in for $119 (!) now. I'd never pay that.

I think MSRP is $99, but it used to be $59 like 3-4 years ago (and easy to find). Worse is the 12 cask strength - that regularly goes for ~$300+ plus now.
All of this. I overpaid. It's delicious and worth having around, but not at all a value buy for the most part nowadays. DID find a few shops that carry them at tolerable adjacent pricing. But, lo and behold...all sold out for now. Womp womp.

I recall having the 12 CS at a local bar (not a specialty shop either) for like $17 a few years back, and a pretty beefy overall SB selection. No mas...

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lack of supply
no true substitute.

Basically what @venividivicibj said, but I'll add a few things.

Scarcity, yes, they produce a much smaller amount than other distilleries.

Its got a complexity that is rare among single malts. Its has a smokiness that isn't overpowering. Seaside flavors (again, not overpowering) sweetness, etc.

Add to that, all production is done by a family owned distillery and takes place (including the malting) on premises... its kind of the pinnacle of Single Malt production.

YMMV and of course value is to each to decide. Its like Blanton's good juice, worth it at $50? For sure, worth it at $80? Probably yes. Worth it at aftermarket proices of over $100?? probably not.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Campbeltown. This is really enjoyable.
47B23DE3-61F7-4E0A-876F-5CA306EE5ABF.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads