• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Logo without a logo

King-Panther

Reaction score
Hi, it's been a while.

I am looking for a suit, maybe 3-5K but I want it to stand out a little - only a little. I know TOM FORD suits have those iconic lapels but cheaper suits also have those or you can get a tailor to make you an imitation.

For example, the Rolex Jubilee bracelet is functional aesthetics - you know it's a rolex, or suspect it is, just by the bracelet. So clearly other men, not just me, like or at least aren't against subtle telltale signs. However, is there a suit that's similar without actual logos or branding.

KOz

Reaction score
Many bespoke tailors have a distinct house style. But only people who are into tailoring would pick up on the subtleties.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, it's been a while.

I am looking for a suit, maybe 3-5K but I want it to stand out a little - only a little. I know TOM FORD suits have those iconic lapels but cheaper suits also have those or you can get a tailor to make you an imitation.

For example, the Rolex Jubilee bracelet is functional aesthetics - you know it's a rolex, or suspect it is, just by the bracelet. So clearly other men, not just me, like or at least aren't against subtle telltale signs. However, is there a suit that's similar without actual logos or branding.

By "stand out" it sounds like you are thinking that you want some (I am guessing 'successful', by some metric) people to be able to recognize the maker of your suit without obvious branding.

This is tough - by and large, the people who can do this are menswear nerds who pay close attention to subtle details. The average investment banker, Silicon Valley venture capitalist, or other conventionally "successful" person is not really going to notice these things. Also, there are plenty of people who don't look great in [name your maker] suits, since everyone's body is different.

My advice is to focus on determining the suit silhouettes that flatter your build. The best way to 'stand out' in a suit is by looking great in it.

King-Panther

Reaction score
By "stand out" it sounds like you are thinking that you want some (I am guessing 'successful', by some metric) people to be able to recognize the maker of your suit without obvious branding.

This is tough - by and large, the people who can do this are menswear nerds who pay close attention to subtle details. The average investment banker, Silicon Valley venture capitalist, or other conventionally "successful" person is not really going to notice these things. Also, there are plenty of people who don't look great in [name your maker] suits, since everyone's body is different.

My advice is to focus on determining the suit silhouettes that flatter your build. The best way to 'stand out' in a suit is by looking great in it.
That’s excellent advice

King-Panther

Reaction score
Dunno, maybe Isaia with their red Coral lapel pin ?

Phillip

I linked an article looking at the various tailors.

Am I the only one who likes these subtle telltale signs, such as Rolex’s jubilee bracelet - which is a functional aesthetic feature…?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who likes these subtle telltale signs, such as Rolex’s jubilee bracelet - which is a functional aesthetic feature…?

There is a reason why high-end watch brands like Rolex are so successful. You’re not alone. It’s just a lot harder to have such distinctive branding elements on suits. You could maybe pull something like this off with Loro Piana or Brunello Cucunelli outfits since the ‘understated luxury’ look is popular now.

Besides watches, eyewear and footwear are other ways for you to signify status.

KOz

Reaction score
I enjoy subtle styling details, but not for signalling wealth or taste. It's just because I enjoy clothing as a form of self expression.

There is a reason why high-end watch brands like Rolex are so successful.
Restricted stock, wealth signalling, and FOMO.

King-Panther

Reaction score
I enjoy subtle styling details, but not for signalling wealth or taste. It's just because I enjoy clothing as a form of self expression.

Restricted stock, wealth signalling, and FOMO.

So you wouldn’t go for a jubilee bracelet?

Although it’s functional aesthetics, it’s not immediately necessary even thought the design might be a slight improvement functionally..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads