• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linen Safari Jacket

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a nice style, also practical and versatile, as I see. A lower level of formality in comparison with a classic tailored jacket.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was there something in particular about this jacket compared to the many other examples out there?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did not recommend it. It showed up in my email, as I am a
customer, most recently of their MTM program.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luigi Borrelli.

Screenshot (1559).png

https://isuit.it/en/l01-luigi-borre...CbN2uUTbRtiVdJaiMxueLFwjCVULoHVRoCYi4QAvD_BwE

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do people find themselves wearing their linen safari or field jackets (I think the two styles have converged) and when? Can you consider them something to lounge in and wear on less formal outings, or are you conscious that these are dry clean only and only wear them when they are "worth" bringing out?

Also, is this a style that your tailor can readily recreate (meaning, can they add the pockets)?

I've been wanting one, but find myself wary I'd rarely actually put it on.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do people find themselves wearing their linen safari or field jackets (I think the two styles have converged) and when? Can you consider them something to lounge in and wear on less formal outings, or are you conscious that these are dry clean only and only wear them when they are "worth" bringing out?

Also, is this a style that your tailor can readily recreate (meaning, can they add the pockets)?

I have both but Safari jackets seems bit more fun to me. I wear this one the most. Also have the G. Inglese x NMWA safari jacket. Worn when it's warm but cools down at night and for summer travel. Also wear an OD Green linen field jacket from Pvt White VC. Slightly heavy.

Boglioli "Hemingway" in white linen.

1713619579347.png

Knurt

Reaction score
1713620345601.jpeg

Bought this new Stile Latino safari jacket for a very nice price on an eBay auction. Yes, the colour would not be my first choice either. And I asked myself if I even would wear it. But since I go to France every summer holiday, I figured I could just take it along and be forced to. A light breathable jacket is anyway just what is needed. And a summer colour indeed. Seems a fine piece of garment to my untrained eye.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have several, in several different fabrics. I use them as casual jackets that have a great deal of utility, in addition to looking good.

I have one safari jacket in red silk hopsack that I use for summer travel. The silk is relatively warm for its weight, which can be good in a cool aircraft cabin. I have a cotton one from Private White VC that is a good transitional jacket. I have a lightweight linen one from Spear & McKay that's more like an overshirt.

I just commissioned another safari jacket in Fox Khaki to take with me on an actual safari and I have the prototype of the design we came up with in heavy navy linen that will become my new travel jacket.

IMG_1961.jpeg

IMG_4612.jpeg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I have several, in several different fabrics. I use them as casual jackets that have a great deal of utility, in addition to looking good.

I have one safari jacket in red silk hopsack that I use for summer travel. The silk is relatively warm for its weight, which can be good in a cool aircraft cabin. I have a cotton one from Private White VC that is a good transitional jacket. I have a lightweight linen one from Spear & McKay that's more like an overshirt.

I just commissioned another safari jacket in Fox Khaki to take with me on an actual safari and I have the prototype of the design we came up with in heavy navy linen that will become my new travel jacket.

View attachment 2170873

View attachment 2170875
Very nice, especially as you wear them without the belt that is very dated imho.
This style called « saharienne » here, was very popular when I was a kid in the 70s.
Don’t own one but wear jungle jackets, that are more casual.

Knurt

Reaction score
Very nice, especially as you wear them without the belt that is very dated imho.
This style called « saharienne » here, was very popular when I was a kid in the 70s.
Don’t own one but wear jungle jackets, that are more casual.
I, who got the belt «for free», do not see me wearing it. Posed with it to show the whole costume.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dislike the belts. Only useful for me on trench coats.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad I asked and Andy those look incredible.

How often do you need to get them cleaned?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I g
Glad I asked and Andy those look incredible.

How often do you need to get them cleaned?
I have the red one cleaned each Fall before I put it away for the winter. The navy one is new this year and has not been cleaned yet. But likely I’ll have it cleaned on a similar schedule.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads