• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nothing fancy. something without fixed gears. wouldn;t ride enough to justify something expensive.

Originally Posted by Biscotti
You ain't going to get much for $400; I just paid that much for a fork alone.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
If I have money, it'd be a Ruegamer with Sram Red. My neighbor has one built last year with super record 11. Unfortunately, his "bespoke" geometry is not quite right so he may get another one for better fit. Some people have no problems burning cash.
eh.gif
ToC,%2BNAHMBS,%2Betc%2B084.jpg

And how much exactly does that run - moreover, how many races has he won?

Aperipan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
And how much exactly does that run - moreover, how many races has he won?

I don't know the exact cost as the pictured bike is a one of a kind time trial bike, build for the industry demo. My neighbor had a frame built for him by the same maker, but with road geometry. The components that went on it are basically all carbon imported from Germany. For seatpost, saddle, and brakes, and many tiny bolts, he used all AX-Lightness stuff with Lew's lightest wheels from 2008. Ruegamer frames are all handbuilt carbon, and is reputedly the lightest in the world. I don't know the exact cost but it's probably over $20K. I also have no question about his riding skill; he coached a professional cycling team and was a former pro himself. In fact, I started cycling because of him. You'd like to think that most people with very nice bikes can't ride for ****. In my opinion, that is rarely true, and what they have are probably "nice" only to the noobs.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my voracious reading of BF over the past month, I'd say.. there are a lot of "noobs" with very nice bikes. Bikes that would be nice to anyone who cared about bikes at all. As is the case here, if you have enough money, you'll buy whatever the best is that you can afford regardless of need/skill level. The same can be said of me by the way, as a CAAD has more racing pedigree than I have any business being on yet I purchased one.

Here's a question - I've never owned an inside riding tool - is it worth my effort to buy a Cycleops.. or Kurt.. or Minoura.. or Blackburn trainer or should I just save (suck it up on rainy days) and get some e-Motion rollers?

mcs5280

Reaction score
If I have money, it'd be a Ruegamer with Sram Red. My neighbor has one built last year with super record 11. Unfortunately, his "bespoke" geometry is not quite right so he may get another one for better fit. Some people have no problems burning cash.
eh.gif

They call that thing a bike?

I would love to see him run that in a crosswind. Any decent gust would probably blow him over.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a question - I've never owned an inside riding tool - is it worth my effort to buy a Cycleops.. or Kurt.. or Minoura.. or Blackburn trainer or should I just save (suck it up on rainy days) and get some e-Motion rollers?

My bike gets more trainer hours than road hours. I have a minoura and a stack of Spinervals DVDs.

I haven't tried any other trainer brand, though. I wish the minoura wasn't so noisy.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks for ignoring my requests for recos, you cocknoblers.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07

Have a look in this thread for style of bike, then see what's available from your local bike shop in that style and your budget.

You really need to pick a general style first before you can get any recommendations.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thx. on ly bike i ever rode was a multi-speed touring bike. i know **** mind you, but looked like a cross between a trad 10-speed and a mountain bike.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

That's because $400 doesn't buy **** if you're actually looking for a quality bike.
You might get a bottom of the line hardtail mtn bike from one of the big companies (Trek, Specialized, etc).

I can tell you what not to do though. Don't get anything from Target, Walmart, Sears, etc.
Go to a real bike shop or maybe REI.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, looked into some bottom feeder Treks. really, would just use it for 10 mile trail once a year when we go to cape cod and the boardwalk on long island. don;t need anything fancy.

triathlete

Reaction score
Speedplays are great. Plenty of knee-saving float, easy to maintain, and they last forever. For a specific recommendation: you'll be fine with the chromoly zeros. The smaller pedal surface is really a non-issue, as the cleat is quite ample. Thwy're light, sturdy, well-made, and popular for the reason that they work. I have tens of thousands of miles on mine and have never had stability issues or hotspots.

As for shoes, whichever fit you best. Have this fitting done at a good bike store by a knowledgeabile fitter. Like bike shorts, generally you get what you pay for here. That said, adidas cycling shoes punch well above their weight and seem to be perpetually on sale at Nashbar / Performancebike.

Ultegra is more than good enough. Actually, 105 is more than good enough up to and including recreational racing. The supergroups are simply way more than most people who own them need or can justify. Roll up to a group ride some time ... it's comical to see plenty of dudes who are 10 to 30 lbs overweight, and have spent the extra megabucks to save 90 g with a duraace, record or Sram Red group.

Last, get a good helmet and never ride without it.

Not specifically for BMX but any type of bikes. Not to mention, I figure people could ask for recommendations for bikes and such in one thread. This is also my selfish way of asking a few questions and posting pictures of my recent purchases..
plain.gif

Pedal recommendation for a newb? Shoe recommendation for a newb? I was looking at Sidi Ergo 2's because I found them at around half off with some Speedplay Zeros and then I thought to myself, I do not need to take the StyleForum approach to cycling and could probably get away with something nice but cheaper. It seems there are advocates for each pedal system so hearing some feedback from you guys would be great.

Why would anyone spend money on Campy Super Record 11 vs. your Shimano Ultegra? It shaves off some weight and is Italian which.. at the end of the day, I doubt the 2 pounds are really what makes anyone into a world-class cyclist but I digress. I've wondered this because I've seen in a number of cases people say you wouldn't upgrade until your current parts are one with the fishes and even then, I don't see why me going with SRAM Red (cool as it looks) would ever be a good idea.

I can ask these questions here without getting lambasted by the BF'ers. Appreciation to come later.

triathlete

Reaction score
Your neighbor has one? I thought this was a 'Concept Bike' that was only built for display at Eurobike last year. I would love to see one in person (though I would never trust that fork configuration for a rider over 50lbs!)

eh.gif

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, looked into some bottom feeder Treks. really, would just use it for 10 mile trail once a year when we go to cape cod and the boardwalk on long island. don;t need anything fancy.

Kunk, look into the company Surly. You said you were looking for a fixed gear bike?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This is in your budget and if you can spend a few bucks more, they have some that are a little bit nicer.

A sport touring model (just make sure it has wide enough tires for the trail) or commuter sounds perfect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads