• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That is some crazy tight waist....looks phenomenal in all black :drool:
I wonder how good an all-black sole will look on regular RTW/MTO models...probably nothing close

Why would it look any better or worse?

Opaque finishes on soles (black or brown or even cinnabar) are a lot easier to do than transparent "natural" finishes. And less dependent on the vagaries of the outsole.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Blacksole-1.jpg

I don't believe we've seen these before. Are they the new ones to which you've been referring?

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Why would it look any better or worse?
Opaque finishes on soles (black or brown or even cinnabar) are a lot easier to do than transparent "natural" finishes. And less dependent on the vagaries of the outsole.

Sure, from a craftsmanship's point of view, it may not look all that appealing.

But it looks like a lady in a tight black dress.....simple but quite appealing.....anyone agree??? :cheers:

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sure, from a craftsmanship's point of view, it may not look all that appealing.
But it looks like a lady in a tight black dress.....simple but quite appealing.....anyone agree??? :cheers:

It is beautiful...and in this case, very well done.

But it ought to be an easy technique to adapt to the factory (RTW/MTO).

Last edited:

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

But it ought to be an easy technique to adapt to the factory (RTW/MTO).

John Lobb (London) as well as John Lobb (Paris) have always finished black shoes with an all-black sole and waist. Someone ought to tell these venerable firms, they are letting the (bespoke) side down by using such an easy 'factory-technique'.

JohnLobbParisbespokeblackcaptoe2.jpg

Bespoke shoes by John Lobb (Paris), made for member 'manton'.

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

John Lobb (London) as well as John Lobb (Paris) have always finished black shoes with an all-black sole and waist. Someone ought to tell these venerable firms, they are letting the (bespoke) side down by using such an easy 'factory-technique'.

Do you really think they care?

I sometimes (and more often in the past than now) do full black or brown bottoms. A lot of it has to do with the character of the leather.

Understandably, people who have not dealt with the issues or been confronted by leather outsoles that cannot be prepared for a clear finish, are ill equipped to comprehend how such choices are made or, more importantly, whether it is indicative of quality or not.

It can even be a purely aesthetic choice...one I myself yield to on occasion, when I get tired of transparent finishes.

But none of that changes the fact that it is much harder to do a clean, clear, sweet, transparent finish than to do a near perfect black finish.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shape of the sole is just so terribly graceful and artistic.

My only reqret is that it is so hidden while the shoes are on the foot.

I can only find a limited number of occasions to put my feet up on my desk. :embar:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shining my G&Gs, and a new NATO strap came in. So thought I would post a picture:

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The shape of the sole is just so terribly graceful and artistic.
My only reqret is that it is so hidden while the shoes are on the foot.
I can only find a limited number of occasions to put my feet up on my desk. :embar:

images.jpg

quar

Reaction score
JohnLobbParisbespokeblackcaptoe2.jpg

Bespoke shoes by John Lobb (Paris), made for member 'manton'.

Look at that. A beautiful shoe. These clown-like pointy Deco shoes are way behind aesthetically.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That is some crazy tight waist....looks phenomenal in all black :drool: I wonder how good an all-black sole will look on regular RTW/MTO models...probably nothing close​
I don't believe we've seen these before. Are they the new ones to which you've been referring?
your new bespoke pair?
yes these are my new one just before finishing
BlackOxford-1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads