• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eidos Napoli

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Waist—actually it appears that way but is not. What you're seeing is a side effect of it being unlined and my posture.
Quarters too open—actually what you're seeing is wind (no joke). Also take into account my posture in the photo/my stance
Length—actually if I were to turn around you'd see it's the right length—maybe 1cm short but within my acceptable range of length

Lining makes very little difference. I have lined and unlined Eidos jackets, and they hang exactly the same.

In those pictures, it doesn't look very flattering on you. If that's due to your posture, you'll either have to do exercises to change your posture, or get a jacket in a different cut. Either way, a jacket shouldn't have that many wrinkles in the waist or make you look that hip heavy.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that lining makes a difference - it may vary based on your body shape, and it will definitely vary based on the fabric. Some fabrics cling more and have more static - the 100% silk is one of them. Lovely fabric but it has static and will catch on the other fabrics (shirt, trousers) more when it is unlined. Trade-offs...

I've had some very soft wool/cashmere fabrics refuse to fall nicely in the back when unlined, rubbing and catching on every curve of the back, trousers waistband, etc... and just sitting there.

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that lining makes a difference - it may vary based on your body shape, and it will definitely vary based on the fabric.  Some fabrics cling more and have more static - the 100% silk is one of them.  Lovely fabric but it has static and will catch on the other fabrics (shirt, trousers) more when it is unlined.    Trade-offs...

I've had some very soft wool/cashmere fabrics refuse to fall nicely in the back when unlined, rubbing and catching on every curve of the back, trousers waistband, etc... and just sitting there.

Yeah, it's best to get it at least lined in the shoulders, but I haven't noticed much of a difference.

I've tried on a 100% silk Eidos and a own a 50/50 silk one. Also have an unlined 10% silk one and a lined wool Eidos suit. I've never noticed any difference in drape or how a jacket emphasises the hips between lined and unlined in the waist. I think that's purely due to the cut. Would be strange if lining makes someone look hip heavy.

Last edited:

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the lining would hide some of your imperfections where an unlined jacket accents it. I own a few Eidos jackets and they hide my extra curves pretty well but my recently acquired unlined jacket shows it off pretty well. Maybe it's just my experience but I tend to make sure my unlined jackets fit slightly larger in the waist for that reason

ComfortablyDumb

Reaction score
I think that lining makes a difference - it may vary based on your body shape, and it will definitely vary based on the fabric. Some fabrics cling more and have more static - the 100% silk is one of them. Lovely fabric but it has static and will catch on the other fabrics (shirt, trousers) more when it is unlined. Trade-offs...

Definitely true in my experience. I have two Tipos (lined) and I can just throw them on and go. With my Tenero and NMWA jackets I usually have to adjust myself in the mirror a bit, dude the clinging and wrinkling when I first put them on. That being said, the NMWA model is my favourite so this minor inconvenience doesn't really bother me too much.

Last edited:

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, it's best to get it at least lined in the shoulders, but I haven't noticed much of a difference.

I've tried on a 100% silk Eidos and a own a 50/50 silk one. Also have an unlined 10% silk one and a lined wool Eidos suit. I've never noticed any difference in drape or how a jacket emphasises the hips between lined and unlined in the waist. I think that's purely due to the cut. Would be strange if lining makes someone look hip heavy.

you may be right that some of your other observations may contribute to a silhouette you don't like—but the lack of lining legitimately is the cause of the X-effect of this jacket in that photograph.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with @justinkapur and @gdl203 on the lining; it absolutely makes a difference in the drape, especially on tighter cuts.

@Monkeyface

Re: the waist...it's possible he just wasn't standing fully straight; I mean, he has a beer bottle in his hand, so perhaps a bit less compliant/strict with posture as in the other photo?

Seriously, a single photos tells you very little.

I prefer the narrower lapels on the Tenero, but the sweep from lapel through the open quarters shows much more of the designer's intent. I appreciate it more.

nice pick ups, @mossrockss!

Last edited:

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In those pictures, it doesn't look very flattering on you. If that's due to your posture, you'll either have to do exercises to change your posture, or get a jacket in a different cut. Either way, a jacket shouldn't have that many wrinkles in the waist or make you look that hip heavy.

Is there a yoga pose for improving your robopose for Styleforum? I must admit I've never had a very good one.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Send me a link if you find one, MossRockss.

veloaudio

Reaction score
Boom. Linen Field Jacket ordered (thanks to Gentry):

Other items you guys may be intereste in below. Contact Gentry ([email protected]) to order. Oh and they are running 30% off jackets and coats until May 17th.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a yoga pose for improving your robopose for Styleforum? I must admit I've never had a very good one.

I'm assuming you're joking, but I'll respond with some helpful tips for improving your posture and help you avoid loads of problems later on. Most forms of bad posture come from muscle imbalances and overly tight muscles, so the way to correct it is by weightlifting to strengthen certain muscles and stretching to make other muscles more flexible. There are hundreds of articles and exercise routines online regarding this topic. This one is pretty good. Hell, you can even correct a dropped shoulder with a couple of months of dedicated work.

Last edited:

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you're joking, but I'll respond with some helpful tips for improving your posture and help you avoid loads of problems later on. Most forms of bad posture come from muscle imbalances and overly tight muscles, so the way to correct it is by weightlifting to strengthen certain muscles and stretching to make other muscles more flexible. There are hundreds of articles and exercise routines online regarding this topic. This one is pretty good. Hell, you can even correct a dropped shoulder with a couple of months of dedicated work.
@mossrockss

This looks ridicluous but helped my posture quite a bit. I do it a couple of times a day.

Ignore the chiropractic nonsense in the video and just folow the exercise

Last edited:

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm assuming you're joking, but I'll respond with some helpful tips for improving your posture and help you avoid loads of problems later on. Most forms of bad posture come from muscle imbalances and overly tight muscles, so the way to correct it is by weightlifting to strengthen certain muscles and stretching to make other muscles more flexible. There are hundreds of articles and exercise routines online regarding this topic. This one is pretty good. Hell, you can even correct a dropped shoulder with a couple of months of dedicated work.

@mossrockss

This looks ridicluous but helped my posture quite a bit. I do it a couple of times a day.

Ignore the chiropractic nonsense in the video and just folow the exercise

legitimatelly, thanks. forwarded that video, mcfox, on to my coworkers in our slack channel.

now back to our regularly scheduled eidos fanboy club…

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

legitimatelly, thanks. forwarded that video, mcfox, on to my coworkers in our slack channel.

now back to our regularly scheduled eidos fanboy club…
Allow me.

This thing is the ****:

The price ain't cheap, but I am sure the fabric is pretty fantastic.

Antonio posted this to IG earlier today, too.

M Parenti

Reaction score
Allow me.

This thing is the ****:

The price ain't cheap, but I am sure the fabric is pretty fantastic.

Antonio posted this to IG earlier today, too.

If I had to envision the perfect summer shirt, that thing would be it. Details on it are outstanding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads