• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eidos Napoli

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Boom. Linen Field Jacket ordered (thanks to Gentry):

Other items you guys may be intereste in below. Contact Gentry ([email protected]) to order. Oh and they are running 30% off jackets and coats until May 17th.

I've been dying for them to post this stuff online so I can brag on social media.

In all seriousness, there outerwear selection was unrivaled and nearly all exclusive. The peacoat is an inky navy version of the japanese cotton shantung that we used for the blouson. The shawl collar toggle jacket is our take on Picasso's favorite painter's jacket that we cut for gentry in a gutsy Japanese indigo dyed canvas.

Finally that SC is the navy version of the hemp and wool that NMWA sold out of in the stone color. That fabric has to be felt to be really appreciated. I've also never seen a fabric drape as beautifully.

Allow me.

This thing is the ****:

The price ain't cheap, but I am sure the fabric is pretty fantastic.

Antonio posted this to IG earlier today, too.

Simply put, this shirt is a collector's item. I think there are 6 in the world and we will not be reproducing this style again.

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide if I can justify a second Dickie shirt.

You will never, ever, find a better beach shirt. Just making sure everyone knows.

thecool85

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with one of the guys at Gentry (Nikaus sp?) to place an order and he was super helpful and had an appreciable knowledge of the products. They have a really great operation over there. Apparently, someone called and placed an order for an Eidos piece right before I did. And for those who are curious, I decided to snag one of these guys:

I missed out on the blouson made in this fabric and between that and the discount they're running on coats, I couldn't pass this up. I can't wait till it gets here.

BrokenThread

Reaction score
Also, is this Dickie model linen or cotton? The gentry item title lists linen, and under details it says 100% cotton. Thanks!

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

@NickPollica

Curious, what justifies the $350 price tag - fabric? unique styling?

1. Where it is made: we produce all of our shirts in a small workshop just outside of Naples. The space is actually the ground floor of the owner's house. There are 3 tables and 8 employees. Everything is cut by hand. They also produce for E. Formica and Liverano. While a Liverano shirt will run you about $375 to start these days, our shirts start at $250.

2. How its made: Again, there is a considerable amount of hand labor in our shirts from hand-cut patterns to handgun button shanks. This particular shirt has a lot more detailing thanks our basic dress shirt: Hip patch pockets, vented sleeves, a straight bottom vented hem with an extended waistband, etc. Its also sent to an outside wash house for a special a softening treatment after its produced to give it a more appealing handfeel.

3. What it is made out of: 100% linen from Cotonficio Albini (the quality is called Sahara for those keeping score). Its a beautiful fabric that only gets better the more you wash it. It does not come cheaply. I believe it would run you around $45 dollars a meter if you were to try to buy it in the retail market.

4. Its aesthetics: I went through great pains to make sure all the details were just so in order to create a special piece that simply isn't available elsewhere in the market. I think most people on this forum focus on the first 3 points above (often rightly so) but there is something to be said for the validity of paying a premium for good design.

Also, is this Dickie model linen or cotton? The gentry item title lists linen, and under details it says 100% cotton. Thanks!

cento percento lino.

Last edited:

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Where it is made: we produce all of our shirts in a small workshop just outside of Naples. The space is actually the ground floor of the owner's house. There are 3 tables and 8 employees. Everything is cut by hand. They also produce for E. Formica and Liverano. While a Liverano shirt will run you about $375 to start these days, our shirts start at $250.

2. How its made: Again, there is a considerable amount of hand labor in our shirts from hand-cut patterns to handgun button shanks. This particular shirt has a lot more detailing thanks our basic dress shirt: Hip patch pockets, vented sleeves, a straight bottom vented hem with an extended waistband, etc. Its also sent to an outside wash house for a special a softening treatment after its produced to give it a more appealing handfeel.

3. What it is made out of: 100% linen from Cotonficio Albini (the quality is called Sahara for those keeping score). Its a beautiful fabric that only gets better the more you wash it. It does not come cheaply. I believe it would run you around $45 dollars a meter if you were to try to buy it in the retail market.

4. Its aesthetics: I went through great pains to make sure all the details were just so in order to create a special piece that simply isn't available elsewhere in the market. I think most people on this forum focus on the first 3 points above (often rightly so) but there is something to be said the validity of paying a premium for good design.
cento percento lino.

Thanks for the detailed answer, I really appreciate it. How transparent is the fabric? I find a lot of linen, especially white, doesn't leave much to the imagination.

And would you recommend TTS? Going by the Gentry measurements, it looks like I should size up from my usual 38 to a 40 (I'm 5'11" and have a 38" chest/18 inch shoulders).

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

4. Its aesthetics: I went through great pains to make sure all the details were just so in order to create a special piece that simply isn't available elsewhere in the market. I think most people on this forum focus on the first 3 points above (often rightly so) but there is something to be said the validity of paying a premium for good design.
I appreciate the honesty of this statement. It is nice to hear someone stand for the work and effort put into a garment. There is no way in hell I can swing a $350 seasonal/casual shirt, but I still admire everything behind it.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks for the detailed answer, I really appreciate it. How transparent is the fabric? I find a lot of linen, especially white, doesn't leave much to the imagination. 

And would you recommend TTS? Going by the Gentry measurements, it looks like I should size up from my usual 38 to a 40 (I'm 5'11" and have a 38" chest/18 inch shoulders). 

I own this fabric as a regular washed sport shirt and have never noticed it to be particularly transparent. As for sizing, its sounds like you should be getting a 39.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks. Guess the Gentry measurements are a little off - they have the 39 with 17.5 inch shoulders

Most Neapolitan shirtmakers I know deliberately cut shoulders their patterns with a more narrower point to point and a larger sleeve head so that your shoulder sits comfortably inside the sleevehead. Do you have any Ingress shirts? He does this as well.

My worry is that you won't notice the shoulders being more narrow but will notice the roomier body.

Last edited:

veloaudio

Reaction score

I just got off the phone with one of the guys at Gentry (Nikaus sp?) to place an order and he was super helpful and had an appreciable knowledge of the products. They have a really great operation over there. Apparently, someone called and placed an order for an Eidos piece right before I did. And for those who are curious, I decided to snag one of these guys:

I missed out on the blouson made in this fabric and between that and the discount they're running on coats, I couldn't pass this up. I can't wait till it gets here.

Nice. I look forward to seeing pictures when you get it.

Gentry is a really great store. I've bought from them a couple of times (before they started carrying Eidos) and now two Eidos only orders. Very friendly and helpful staff. One of these days when I get back to NYC I'll make the trip out to Brooklyn. I'll have to leave my wallet at home though.

BrokenThread

Reaction score

Most Neapolitan shirtmakers I know deliberately cut shoulders their patterns with a more narrower point to point and a larger sleeve head so that your shoulder sits comfortably inside the sleevehead. Do you have any Ingress shirts? He does this as well.

My worry is that you won't notice the shoulders being more narrow but will notice the roomier body.

Good enough for me! I'm about a 39 chest/18.5 shoulders- ordered the linen Dickie in 40. I'll remark on fit when I get it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads