• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom shirts

JanX

Reaction score
Davei,
Thank you for you advice.
I hope I can associated with Jantzen Tailor,
corportate in New York. That will be a good view business.

JanX

Reaction score
biggrin.gif
I mean if I can manage a office in New York to sale custom shirt, that will be great.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've just ordered my custom shirt from Jantzen Tailors through their website. I've avoided the unsecure credit card transaction by opting to use a bank transfer. I decided to have made a white, super 140's Sea Island Cotton shirt, with 5mm thick MOP buttons and a button down collar. I got this style because I like how the button down collar looks under a sportcoat. The total came to HKD$335.00 which is USD$44.55...

I'm really interested to see how this turns out. I will let you all know when I receive the shirt.

MikeF

Reaction score
I would have ordered a shirt, but having JanX-who-is-not-from-Jantzen-Tailors posting here over and over again has caused me to think twice.

JanX

Reaction score
Mike F,
Even you think it over a year, is none of my business.
I just interested to ask about the how it works out. Here is a open forum.

Jantzentailor

Reaction score
Hey guys,
This is my first time on this page.
Nice to discussing a men's stlying with your guys.
Mike, how are you? Thank you for your order. I will try my best to produce the best shirt for you.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Please see my post regarding this brewing controversy under Jentzentailor thread....

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine was sent on Friday, apparently, so... Hong Kong to Melbourne... give it a week and a bit, and I'll get back to everyone.

Incidentally, like Mike C, I ordered their Sea Island 140s 2-ply fabric in white - may as well try one of their nicer shirtings - but with their 'big spread' cutaway collar and double cuffs.

If this order's a success, there are some stripes and checks that catch my eye... I think I'll see if their pattern-matching skills are up to snuff...

Cheers,

Nick.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nick M:  I ordered quite a simillar shirt; 140's white sea island, big spread collar with high underband, barrel cuffs and 3mm MOP buttons. Mine was sent out today. Jantzentailor has been very responsive to my emails and requests; I can't wait to see how the shirt turns out. It takes 7-10 days to ship from HK to the US, so i'll let you know then.

CTGuy: Nice avitar; Pat Bateman is my hero (in a weird, sick kinda way).

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Jantzentailor shirt arrived a few days ago, and last nite was the first time I've worn it. Coincidentally, I received a few compliments on it, and it became the topic of conversation for a while.

I am impressed with the overall construction and attention to detail the shirt has. My measurements were followed precisely and I received the exact shirt I had in mind when the order was placed. The thick MOP buttons add a very elegant touch to the shirt.

The only thing I didn't like was that the fabric was a little too thin. It is apparent in areas where the fabric is doubled up, such as the button placket, cuff and collar. However the texture of the fabric is great. I've never felt sea island cotton before, so I can't compare it to anything or comment on the quality.

I'd say that the shirt is great for the price, though I wouldn't wear it with any of my suits. After all, you can't expect a $200 Zegna quality shirt for $38. In the future I think I'll be ordering more, just for casual wear.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine arrived about a week-and-a-half ago, and then a burned-out HD and my temperamental cable ISP knocked out my PC. The verdict, here we go... Keep in mind I don't own any shirts from Turnbull & Asser, Borrelli, Charvet, Fray, Kiton, Barba or even Lorenzini, but I am familiar with their construction and fabric quality. Sooooo... Based on this shirt, I don't think I'll be buying a dress shirt off-the-rack again. Ever. The shirt I received is a perfect fit, which is pretty rare for me, given I'm 14.5/31.5. It is single-needle-tailored throughout, and the cutaway spread collar - which is nigh-impossible to find where I live - is very well done. The buttons, although troca-shell, are Fray-thick and very nice. It's far superior to everything else in it's price range that I've seen, and, I'd say, a lot of shirts at twice the price. Plus, it's exactly how I want it, I didn't have to live with some designer's idea of how a shirt should fit. They were very quick and friendly when answering my e-mails, and asked a few questions to ensure I wasn't shooting myself in the foot in terms of measurements (31.5" sleeve? Yes, really.). So, if all your shirts are from the brands listed above, or you wear a pretty standard size, you could probably give Jantzen a miss, but I was very happy with it. I think I'll order another later in the week, something with a check or a stripe. Then, some colored shirts with white collar and cuffs. Hey, I have a tailor now. He's my tailor.
wink.gif
There's a certain amount of nineteen-thirties charm there, I think... Cheers, Nick.

KobeMan

Reaction score
My Jantzentailor shirt arrived a few days ago, and last nite was the first time I've worn it. Coincidentally, I received a few compliments on it, and it became the topic of conversation for a while.

I am impressed with the overall construction and attention to detail the shirt has. My measurements were followed precisely and I received the exact shirt I had in mind when the order was placed. The thick MOP buttons add a very elegant touch to the shirt.

The only thing I didn't like was that the fabric was a little too thin. It is apparent in areas where the fabric is doubled up, such as the button placket, cuff and collar. However the texture of the fabric is great. I've never felt sea island cotton before, so I can't compare it to anything or comment on the quality.

I'd say that the shirt is great for the price, though I wouldn't wear it with any of my suits. After all, you can't expect a $200 Zegna quality shirt for $38. In the future I think I'll be ordering more, just for casual wear.
Miek C & Nick M,

Under "Shade of Cut," which selection did you chose for "Shirt Fitting" - very loose, loose, medium, form, or tight. (Generally, I like my shirts fitted(ex. Gucci, Zegna, even BR)).

Also which did you choose under "Shade of Shoulder" - square, regular, slope, very slope. I know this is all relative to the individual, but I'm just wondering if you guys have any regrets with the this detailed option.

How many inches did you select or the back height of the collar?

And what kind of shirt tail did you select?

Thanks for ansering these. I want get an idea of all this so that I don't regret my order.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads