• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Tailor for Alterations in NYC

darkoak

Reaction score
Went by Dynasty this morning to see if they could do working sleeve buttons, and they could not.  I've got another sportcoat to do at the same time, so I'm going to try calling around to a few other places and see if I can meet with success.  Sorta disappointing, considering Dynasty is right around the corner from me.

-s
Try Peppino's on Lex betw 60th & 61st. He'd do it for $50.

redtree00

Reaction score
I have had Dynasty do working button holes on several jackets, I just picked up a Corneliani suit last week.

Are you a regular customer ?

Did you ask prices first ? I don't ask what the cost is up front and they have never said no to any of my requests. They have always charged me a fair price when I have picked up the finished garment.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dropped my Paul Stuart purchases at Wildfreds on 23rd. Not cheap. However, was impressed by the operation. They do bespoke and the work seemed good. I will be able to report more next Monday.

cpac

Reaction score
Dropped my Paul Stuart purchases at Wildfreds on 23rd.  Not cheap.
What (how much), exactly, is not cheap?

Hemming pants = $_?
Suit sleeve buttons = $_?
Other jacket alterations = $___?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(marc237 @ April 18 2005,11:24) Dropped my Paul Stuart purchases at Wildfreds on 23rd. Not cheap.
What (how much), exactly, is not cheap? Hemming pants = $_? Suit sleeve buttons = $_? Other jacket alterations = $___?
Hemming pants = $ 20. Suit sleeve buttons = $ 40., $ 60. with functional Other jacket alterations (take in sides) = $ 65. Take in waist/crotch = $ 25.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(zjpj83 @ April 15 2005,17:05) Bump. Anywhere good on the Upper West Side? I usually need pants waist taken in plus hem. I usually go to Bhambis but am tired of paying $50 per pair of pants. Will any department stores tailor outside garments? I thought I remembered that Ralph Lauren was willing to but could be wrong. Thanks for your responses.
Any dept store will take in outside merchandise. RL will also, but they are expensive... $18 for hemming pants.
My tailor charges $15, but the job is always done right...of course I'm not in NYC. Jon.

sashae

Reaction score
I have had Dynasty do working button holes on several jackets, I just picked up a Corneliani suit last week.

Are you a regular customer ?

Did you ask prices first ? I don't ask what the cost is up front and they have never said no to any of my requests. They have always charged me a fair price when I have picked up the finished garment.
Bizzare -- my wife and I have brought in multiple loads of things over the last few weeks, and had never been anything but totally satisfied. We'd always dealt with the gentleman that (I presume) owns the place. I spoke to a woman who (again, I presume) was either his wife or another employee, and she said that "they didn't have the machine to do it." I get my hair cut on 62nd and Lex, so I'll probably try Peppino's.

-s

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(cpac @ April 18 2005,14:55)
Originally Posted by marc237,April 18 2005,11:24
Dropped my Paul Stuart purchases at Wildfreds on 23rd. Not cheap.
What (how much), exactly, is not cheap? Hemming pants = $_? Suit sleeve buttons = $_? Other jacket alterations = $___?
Hemming pants = $ 20. Suit sleeve buttons = $ 40., $ 60. with functional Other jacket alterations (take in sides) = $ 65. Take in waist/crotch = $ 25.
sounds like a good price for the sleeve buttons. Everything else seems average for a good place.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zipj, I didn't see your question, but my experience with prices is the same as Marc's.  I never get out of there with less than $100 in alterations on a jacket.  I think they're reasonably good at recognizing how a jacket should fit and the limitations of an alteration.  Their attention to detail is sometimes a little lacking.  I've had to have them fix uneven sleeves and little things like preserving faux buttonholes on a sleeve.  If I don't call ahead when picking up items, they're rarely ready.  I'd go somewhere else if it wasn't such a pain to find somebody good.  I called Raphael's shop on Grayson's recommendation, but the lady who answered the phone wasn't interested in doing alteration work for someone who wasn't one of Raphael's bespoke customers.

Regards,

dan

redtree00

Reaction score
I spoke to a woman who (again, I presume) was either his wife or another employee, and she said that "they didn't have the machine to do it."  
That is the craziest excuse I have heard in a while. What kind of a special machine do you need to make buttonholes that they would not already have ? Was there enough room on the sleeve to put button holes ? I have seen them measure to make sure that there is enough room on the flap after shortening the sleeve.

They do great work but they are a little strange at times. You have to see how many people pour out of the workshop in the back of that place at closing time, I lost count after 20 of them.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back from alterations. I called Ralph Lauren. "Do you alter stuff that was bought elsewhere." "Oh, yes, bring it on by." The wait was about half an hour, as some moron with plasticy shoes was buying a bunch of Black Label suits that he definitely will not appreciate. Finally, it's my turn. I throw on some amazing Incotex pants I got from Lance. They mark up the waist. "Wait... these aren't Polo." Me: "Nooooo......" "Oh, we can only alter Polo stuff." GRRR
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
So, picked up my stuff and went to the tailoring equivalent of Cheers: Bhambis. I've been there before. They know me. I know I'll get a good product. So, here I am. They are good people there. I wouldn't get one of their bespoke garments - gorges look like they are from 1990. But there alterations are great (and expensive.) Sleeve buttonholes: $10 each Sleev shortening: $20 Pants waist: $25 Seat: $25 Hem: $20 One suit that didn't need really anything and two pairs of pants were $280. Really expensive, but probably worth it in the end. Good luck, all. ~ Z

dorian

Reaction score
"Wait... these aren't Polo." Me: "Nooooo......" "Oh, we can only alter Polo stuff." Â GRRR Â
mad.gif
Â
mad.gif
Â
mad.gif
Â
mad.gif
Who told you that? The Italian alterations tailor or one of the salespeople? I'm intrigued... I wouldn't say that Black Label suits are much to appreciate - certainly not for the price. Not for anything, really, I think.
devil.gif
(Obviously not a fan of BL
wink.gif
)

sashae

Reaction score
(sashae @ April 18 2005,16:46) I spoke to a woman who (again, I presume) was either his wife or another employee, and she said that "they didn't have the machine to do it."
That is the craziest excuse I have heard in a while. What kind of a special machine do you need to make buttonholes that they would not already have ? Was there enough room on the sleeve to put button holes ? I have seen them measure to make sure that there is enough room on the flap after shortening the sleeve. They do great work but they are a little strange at times. You have to see how many people pour out of the workshop in the back of that place at closing time, I lost count after 20 of them.
Yeah, no kidding. Both jackets are completely brand new and have never had the buttons mounted, so I've got plenty of sleeve to work with. Just bizarre. I'm planning on calling the Kiton store tomorrow to see who they recommend (one of the two jackets I want done is a 50/50 cashmere/linen Kiton I picked up from eBay.) I imagine they'll have someone that can do it. -s

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(zjpj83 @ April 18 2005,17:06) "Wait... these aren't Polo." Me: "Nooooo......" "Oh, we can only alter Polo stuff." GRRR
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Who told you that? The Italian alterations tailor or one of the salespeople? I'm intrigued... I wouldn't say that Black Label suits are much to appreciate - certainly not for the price. Not for anything, really, I think.
devil.gif
(Obviously not a fan of BL
wink.gif
)
I'm not a BL fan either. Everyone told me it. The "late-night" tailor was there (I went at 6.) Amusing how it should take him 2 minutes to realize that he wasn't marking up a RL product. His first question was, "What, were these a special order?" Then the salesman informed me the bad news. Then the manager. It's definitely policy.

ttam

Reaction score
Years ago, I've had luck with getting Saks to do some alterations on outside purchases.  I was pretty happy with the work, although my recollection was that the prices were high.  

Does anyone know if the Paul Stuart store would be amenable to providing the tailoring services on the items purchased from last week's sale?  It IS their clothes after all, so you wouldn't get the BS that zjpj83 got at RL.  Any thoughts on whether it would be bad form to do so?  It is a paid service after all so I'm not sure why PS would have an issue with it.

Regards,
Tom

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads