• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Basic Guide to Exercise and Nutrition

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as some people hate crossfit, I think their definition of "fitness" is pretty good:

Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaydc7
As much as some people hate crossfit, I think their definition of "fitness" is pretty good:
I find many crossfit adherents to be quite.. cultish in their defense and promotion of the philosophy. It's not that I disagree with their philosophy, but it's not for everyone. I'm not a big sports-guy, so their "learn and play new sports" section is pretty moot for me, and i still find their workouts to be workouts for the sake of working out, which has never appealed to me. You know those guys who get "runner's highs" and what not? That's not me. I ran track for a season in high school and all running ever gave me was exhaustion and the desire for a nap. Not to mention a "**** this, I'm not doing this next year" thought. Lifting weights? The same. Pretty much the only way I've been able to integrate physical fitness into my routine is to make it part of my lifestyle. Manual labor would be ideal, but it pays ****. So: Selling the car and commuting by bicycle, bus, and foot gets me moving for a few hours a week. I have a motorcycle now, but occasionally I do the bus/walk thing (bus to work, walk 6 miles home.. great way to catch up on phone calls and listen to new music). Taking the stairs at work. Carrying groceries home from the store a mile away (you don't think those suckers are heavy until you have to drag it home). Gardening. Etc etc. Besides, diet is 75-80% of your physique, so energy is better served devoted to watching your intake. Trying to do too much too soon (change diet and workouts simultaneously) can be disastrous for some.

adversity04

Reaction score
^ why edited his previous post which I wanted to quote.....but stop ******** up our thread. If you can't understand why we workout then there's no reason you should even be posting in a thread about it.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I can't because people will extrapolate the information incorrectly.

This is your OCD showing through. People extrapolate information incorrectly. That's the definition of people. A beginner's guide isn't intended to have all the answers or even all the correct answers, but provide some basic information to get people started. Once they get started, they can seek more information. It only requires a disclaimer.

The project is realistically too large for this forum, but if you want to input, than input. It doesn't hurt you that some guy is trying to perform a difficult to impossible task.

ps - thanks for your answers to my earlier questions

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People don't need information to get started. I'm sure many people know how to move their legs and thus know how to move their legs faster and for a longer period of time. Asking what kind of shoes they should use to facilitate moving their legs just adds another obstacle and convenient excuse.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adversity04
4. High reps build tone and low reps build size, right? -Wrong. High reps build size, and low reps build strength. Usage of the word "tone" should be limited to talking about bodyfat percentage, not how many reps you're doing per set. Anyone who advises on doing high reps for tone should be ignored. High reps build endurance, eating big builds size.
I'm glass you brought this to the forefront -- this quote is the perfect example of what I meant before by 'misleading information'. Someone who doesn't understand this concept will think there's some dichotomy between repetition ranges or they should only be doing X for goal Y. Not only that, but what does 'high reps' mean? What about the most important factor: total volume and workload?

adversity04

Reaction score
^Which is why I went back and edited. I'd honestly rather differentiate between endurance and strength size I'm not a BB person. Still looking at stuff for high rep = more mass before I comment on it like I initially did
confused.gif
Edit: Could have sworn that said something different while I was typing, oh well. I don't know much about high rep = size so I didn't think I should rule it out.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I'm glass you brought this to the forefront -- this quote is the perfect example of what I meant before by 'misleading information'. Someone who doesn't understand this concept will think there's some dichotomy between repetition ranges or they should only be doing X for goal Y. Not only that, but what does 'high reps' mean? What about the most important factor: total volume and workload?

Yes, it's a blanket statement that could be misleading. Generally speaking, higher rep ranges are better suited for hypertrophy. So, what about volume and workload? How about you tell us about it, that way we can update the OP with some more accurate information.

I don't know how many other ways I can say "contribute," so unless you have something constructive to add, please stop ******** up the thread. You are maddening. If you have an issue with what I've written, then correct it and we can toss it in the OP.

I don't think you "get" this thread. Read the disclaimer at the top: this is not holy writ, I'm not Arnold and I don't claim to be the source of all things fitness. All I'm trying to do is get a basic guide to fitness and nutrition together and get people to contribute to it, which is something this forum could benefit from. So unless you're going to contribute this goal, go away. Seriously, your irritatingly cynical and pompous attitude in this thread isn't doing anything except derailing the thread. Counteracting whatever I'm saying without actually contributing doesn't help anyone.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm contributing by telling people to ignore the guide and get off their asses and sweat.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I'm contributing by telling people to ignore the guide and get off their asses and sweat.

Yes, I'm glad someone who has no idea about fitness will surely reach all of their fitness goals by sweating!

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
Yes, I'm glad someone who has no idea about fitness will surely reach all of their fitness goals by working out!

FTFY

Crakaveli

Reaction score
Get your blood work done semi-annually with a panel over 100 tests to check for vital nutritional deficiencies.

whole food multivitamin
tablespoon a day of cod liver oil
probiotics
digestive enzymes

Drink half your bodyweight in ounces of purified water daily.

Exercise 30-40 minutes per day doing something you enjoy at least 5 days per week.

10 things you should eliminate from your diet

1) Trans fats
Read your labels! Anything that says "partially hydrogenated" is a trans fat.
Trans fats cause clogged arteries, type 2 diabetes, and other serious health problems. Only cook with organic butter or extra-virgin coconut oil as all other oils will turn into trans fat when used for cooking (including olive oil).

2) Artificial sweeteners
Contribute to diabetes because they prompt you to eat more.
Aspartame and sucralose (Splenda) should be avoided completely due to their toxic effects on the body. Alternatives are raw honey, agave nectar, stevia extract, and xylitol.

3) High fructose corn syrup and processed sugars
Fructose converts to fat more than any other sugar.
This may be one of the reasons Americans continue to get fatter.

4) Soy products
Creates hormonal imbalances in men and women by affecting estrogen levels.
Instead of soy milk for drinks and for infants, use goat's milk. It is the closest to a human mother's milk and is highly anti-allergenic.

5) Pork products
Creates toxic cells. Never meant for consumption.

6) Shellfish
Shellfish are scavengers ingesting countless toxins from the water in an attempt to keep our oceans and lakes clean.

7) Processed wheat and white flour
You used flour and water in elementary school to make glue paper mache hard as concrete. It has a similar affect on the body. Choose sprouted grain bread as an alternative.

8) Soft drinks
Sodas (even diet ones) poison the body. They don't reduce your hunger as solid food does, so your caloric intake is even higher. Regular soft drinks are sweetened with high fructose corn syrup and diet drinks use artificial sweeteners. A great alternative to the fizz you crave is to add fresh lime or lemon to sparkling water along with stevia.

9) Unfiltered tap water
Regular tap water is filled with chemicals and infused with chlorine. Always drink fresh spring water or filtered water and use a water filter for your home (even for bathing and washing clothes).

10) Non-organic dairy and meat products (cow's milk dairy)
Animals that are not raised organically are fed chemical and hormone-laced foods and by eating them, those harmful toxins go directly into you.

Crakaveli

Reaction score
NOTE: each serving must consist of 1/3 protein, 1/3 Fat Source, 1/3 Carbohydrate Source...I have the list broken down in sections by SOURCE.

PROTEIN SOURCES

MEATS
(Hormone-free/organic is best, but non organic is still permitted)

Beef
Lamb
Venison
Veal
Buffalo
Meat bone soup / stock
Liver
Beef hot dogs (no pork casing-organic and nitrite / nitrate free. Use sparingly)

FISH
(make sure its original form it had fins and scales)

Salmon
Scrod
Pompano
Orange Roughy
Herring
Halibut
Grouper
Wahoo
Sea Bass
Sole
Salmon (mercury-free, canned in spring water)
Tuna (mercury-free, canned in spring water)
Sardines (canned in water or olive oil only)

POULTRY
(pastured/organic is best, but non organic is still permitted)

Chicken
Duck
Turkey
Chicken or turkey bacon (no pork casing-organic and nitrite / nitrate free)
Liver
Canned chicken (all white meat, no nitrates)

LUNCHEON MEAT

Turkey (preservative and nitrite free)

EGGS
(high omega-3/DHA)

Chicken eggs (whole with yolk)

DAIRY

Goat’s milk yogurt (plain)
Goat’s milk kefir
Goat’s milk cheese
Pecorino Cheese

CARBOHYDRATES SOURCES

VEGETABLES
(organic fresh or frozen)

Broccoli
Asparagus
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Squash
Beets
Brussels Sprouts
Carrots
Celery
Eggplant
Garlic
Okra
Spinach
Peas
String Beans
Cucumber
Pumpkin
Onion
Leaf Lettuce (all kinds)
Mushrooms
Peppers
Tomatoes
Artichoke
Leafy Greens (kale, collard, broccoli, mustand greens, etc)
Sprouts (broccoli, sunflower, pea shoots, radish, etc)

FRUITS
(organic fresh or frozen is best)

Blueberries
Strawberries
Apples
Blackberries
Raspberries
Cherries
Grapefruit
Lemon
Lime

FAT SOURCES

FATS and OILS
(organic is best, but non organic is still permitted)

Avocado
Cow’s milk butter, organic (BEST for cooking)
Extra-virgin coconut oil (BEST for cooking)
Flaxseed oil (not best for cooking)
Expeller-pressed sesame oil (not best for cooking)

NUTS and SEEDS
(non-roasted, organic, raw, or soaked is best, but non organic is still permitted)

Almonds
Pumpkinseeds
Hempseed
Flaxseed (ground)
Sunflower seeds
Almond butter
Hempseed butter
Sunflower butter
Pumpkinseed butter
Sesame butter
Walnuts
Cashews

MISCELLANEOUS APPROVED ITEMS

CONDIMENTS, SPICES, SEASONINGS
(organic is best, but non organic is still permitted)

Salsa (fresh or canned)
Tomato sauce (no sugar added)
Guacamole (fresh)
Apple cider vinegar
Celtic sea salt
Mustard
Omega – 3 mayonnaise (Hain brand)
Herbs and spices (no added stablizers)
Pickled ginger (preservative and color free)
Wasabe (preservative and color free)
Organic flavoring extracts (alcohol based, no sugar added), e.g., vanilla, almond, etc.
Any organic salad dressings (e.g., Annie’s)
Whole commercial salad dressings without high fructose corn syrup (e.g., Newman’s Own)
Whey protein powder
Goat milk protein powder

BEVERAGES

Purified, non-chlorinated water
Natural sparking water
Herbal teas (preferably organic) unsweetened
Regular (preferably organic) Green Tea (substitute for coffee)
Wu-Yi, eleotin, and yerba matte teas
Raw vegetable juice (beet or carrot juice-small quantities)
Beef or chicken broth

SWEETENERS

Unheated, raw honey
Stevia
Agave Nectar Sweetner
Sweet N Low (saccharin) in small quantities
Xyitol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads