• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Land's End custom shirts

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I order a LE custom shirt with every single option aimed at making the slimmest possible shirt, will it actually be a slim fit? I'm a very skinny guy, and I don't want to end up with another shirt where "slim" means only half a yard of extra fabric around the waist. Maybe I should tell them that while I am six feet tall, I only weight ninety pounds.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't know, but keep us posted on what you find out. I'm 6'3" and 160 lbs., used to buying Lands' End trim fit and still having the body taken in. Not ideal, so now trying Jantzen (IMO $45 for a custom shirt should be preferable to Lands' End plus alterations).

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love me some Jantzen, but I'm always afraid of the wait times (compounded by the fact that he has had to stop taking new orders a couple of times over the past six months). Maybe I should give it a try anyway.

boston

Reaction score
I have a bunch of lands-end slim fit custom shirts.

I am 39 chest and 32 waist, and the shirts are just fine on me. That said, I'm 6'1" and 160 lbs so am probably bigger than you (6', 90) even though I think I'm a pretty slim fit.

I gave lands end custom a try by ordering the cheapest shirt they had -- a $45 white oxford. I liked it and have ordered more. The nice thing about the program is that you can order just one shirt at a time, and if you do not like it just return it at your local Sears.

the quality of the shirts is pretty good, especially for the price. single needs, horizontal sleeve plackets, OK material. They just stocked a new set of designs too if you are interested.

-boston

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, I actually weight about 140-145, not 90. I can't believe you can return a custom-made shirt though, that's insane. I guess there's no risk involved if I can return it. How is the fit? How much extra material do you have around the waist?

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a LE custom shirt based on amature measurements (but not my own). My intention was to get an affordable, reliable source of very fitted shirts, with less hassle than Jantzen.

I am approximately 6' / 175lbs (15.5, 38R), after receiving a "tailored" fit shirt, here are the adjustments I wanted to make:
Neck: +0.25"
Upper arm: could go tighter, but not important
Sleeve length: +0.5"
Body: -4"
Waist: -4"
Length: -3"
Cuff opening: -0.5"

Some of those may be conservative, as I expected to have to go through a few shirts to get it right. Here are the maximum adjustments that their patterns can provide (all except cuff in 0.5" increments):
Neck: +/- 1" in 0.5" increments
Upper arm: + 1"
Sleeve length: +/- 3"
Body: +/- 2"
Waist: +/- 2"
Length: +/- 3"
Cuff opening: +/- 0.5" in 0.25" increments

Their rep said "the fit is in part due to the styling of our shirts which is a boxy style". I will be returning the shirt, and of course they are paying return shipping.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered through LE custom, and it came out fine - I wanted a white fitted spread collar french cuff shirt without a pocket. Based on the measurements I gave them, they did a decent job. But I wasn't aiming for something that looks sprayed on, which sometimes I feel a lot of forumites are aiming for.

I might order again, and if I do so, I might make some tweaks, depending on how the shirt shrinks in the next couple of washes (I've only washed and worn it twice). Take in the body maybe a half inch or inch or so and shorten the sleeves a half inch. Everything else was decent.

Just remember to select the Tailored fit option, not the traditional fit option. And if you really want it fitted, take an inch off your waist size (I gave 35, but if I was ordering pants, I probably would have given them 36).

Edit: I'm 6'1" and 185-190 and a 35-36 waist, so I'm a pretty proportional, normal athletic build.

pengesq

Reaction score
I have shirts from both LE custom and Jantzen. While Janzten has superior cloth selection, construction, and pricing, it's a hassle to order from them. LE is quite convenient and I've been happy with their shirts. I'm 5'7 145 pounds and I find that the slim fit for LE custom works quite well for me.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried to get a slim fit from Land's end and it just didn't work out. I got it as slim as I could and it ended up being too tight in the hips while not small enough in the waist. If I tried going smaller it would have made the hips even worse (I have a 33/34'' waist and 40/41'' hips).

goffeebeans

Reaction score
just wondering, does anyone happen to know their return policy? The sizing is alright for my shirt but im wondering as to how it'll be after the first wash.
Also were your shirts really long? mine came in at 34.5" long

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by goffeebeans
just wondering, does anyone happen to know their return policy? The sizing is alright for my shirt but im wondering as to how it'll be after the first wash. Also were your shirts really long? mine came in at 34.5" long
LE's return policy is: "Guaranteed. Period." If you wore it and washed it and it fell apart/shrank, faded, whatever... Guaranteed. Period.

goffeebeans

Reaction score
Ahh that makes sense, never even dawned on me, just kept looking and looking through their policies. Thanks for the help.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
LE's return policy is: "Guaranteed. Period." If you wore it and washed it and it fell apart/shrank, faded, whatever... Guaranteed. Period.
Yes, make sure you wash it twice before considering what alterations you want. And as for the length: they don't allow you to specify that on the first fitting - taking it in the maximum amount should make it passable for wearing untucked, I think. PS: It turns out the return shipping isn't free in Canada.
frown.gif

goffeebeans

Reaction score
how much did they charge your for shipping?

did you return it to the US address as it says on the return slip? or did you follow what it says on the website and return it to the canadian address?

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how much did they charge your for shipping?
Shirt: $69.00 Duty: $11.73 Shipping costs: $8.95 Taxes: $4.84 (All US$)
did you return it to the US address as it says on the return slip? or did you follow what it says on the website and return it to the canadian address?
I sent it by Canada Post parcel or whatever to the Canadian address. I obviously stuffed the shirt into a much smaller container than they sent it in.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads