• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pattern contest finalsts

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Manton has selected the following finalists. The below text is his: And the nominees are:
Originally Posted by bigbris1
06-11-07_1244.jpg
06-11-07_1243.jpg
06-11-07_1238.jpg
06-11-07_1236.jpg
06-11-07_1315.jpg
06-11-07_1316.jpg
06-11-07_1317.jpg

This is just great. Works against all the odds.
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
4ttcztw.jpg
4mudrms.jpg

Great mixing of differently scaled stripes. Also the ratio of ground to figure in the tie design is just right. Perfect colors.
Originally Posted by Baron
img0575tm4.jpg

Four distinctly differnt patterns that work well together. What sets this apart is that the color of the tie is different than everything else, yet the secondary colors in the tie pick up the shirt. Nice.
Originally Posted by edmorel
KIF_5185.jpg
KIF_5188.jpg

Could have picked any of Ed's but went with this one. Because I am a sucker for blue and brown? Maybe.
Originally Posted by Master Shake
061207pq2.jpg

Sweet use the Royal Artillery tie, even if I disapprove as a matter of principle.
Originally Posted by iammatt
pc002largesc0.jpg

Both combos are great, mostly, but I went with this one because the square sucks a bit less.
Originally Posted by A Harris
pattern9.jpg

Nearly all of Andrew's worked as well; this just happened to be my favorite.
Originally Posted by Brownshoe

This has it all.
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
dscn0327ny6.jpg
dscn0338wy9.jpg
dscn0339ld3.jpg

I liked the other one too, but good God man, who wears a white shirt in a pattern matching contest? This one is much, much better for our purposes. Original thread with all contest entries and Manton's honorable mentions. Voting ends three days from now, which is around 7:30 PM EST on Thursday. Thanks to all the contestants for participating. The winner will receive any pocket square or cuff link of his choice from Kent Wang. First through third place will also select an item each from edmorel's lot of Roda pocket squares, ties, shirts and Pantherella socks. First place will get first pick, and so on. Therefore the big winner will receive two prizes, while second and third will each receive consolation prizes of their choosing. Consolation prizes are provided by the generosity of edmorel and LSeca.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for being generous and sponsoring another contest Kent, I enjoyed looking at daily pics posted by all who contributed.

Good luck to all the finalists.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
What is the standard for voting? Wearability? Boldness? Beauty? Degree of difficulty? This contest lacks the clear objectives of the trad contest.

I have no idea. You've got everything from corporate business attire which is where most people where suits/ties, to business casual, to social casual to near theatric. It seems to be a very wide open contest. I'm deciding on who delivers something that is elegant, understated and practical to a reasonable occassion I would encounter. I like the ones that would tend to draw my attention to the face and not overpower the look of the person wearing them. Something I could apply. Something my boss or girlfriend would say you look well dressed, groomed and fitting to the occassion. I think CN, Baron and A. Harris do a consisent job of this on WYWTD. I'd say pick something that inspires you to emulate what they do. I really would emulate CN, Baron, IamMatt and A. Harris on a regular daily basis with the shown examples provided.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

To imitate someone is to pay the person a genuine compliment"”often an unintended compliment.
worship.gif

Others may have entirely other standards of evaluation. Some like boldness and Ed does this very well for example. Luciano Barbera does a nice job of mixing patterns in many of his photos.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Barbera is in this contest? Crap.

Nah, some jokers will say his coat has a wrinkle in it they think is his shoulder and disqualify him

fighetta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
I have no idea. You've got everything from corporate business attire which is where most people where suits/ties, to business casual, to social casual to near theatric. It seems to be a very wide open contest. I'm deciding on who delivers something that is elegant, understated and practical to a reasonable occassion I would encounter. I like the ones that would tend to draw my attention to the face and not overpower the look of the person wearing them. Something I could apply. Something my boss or girlfriend would say you look well dressed, groomed and fitting to the occassion. I think CN, Baron and A. Harris do a consisent job of this on WYWTD. I'd say pick something that inspires you to emulate what they do. I really would emulate CN, Baron, IamMatt and A. Harris on a regular daily basis with the shown examples provided.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

To imitate someone is to pay the person a genuine compliment"”often an unintended compliment.
worship.gif

Others may have entirely other standards of evaluation. Some like boldness and Ed does this very well for example. Luciano Barbera does a nice job of mixing patterns in many of his photos.

Originally Posted by Soph
Nah, some jokers will say his coat has a wrinkle in it they think is his shoulder and disqualify him

Would you like some cheese to go with your whine?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fighetta
Would you like some cheese to go with your whine?

Just defending Ed. I don't whine I just fighetta'bout it.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
What is the standard for voting? Wearability? Boldness? Beauty? Degree of difficulty? This contest lacks the clear objectives of the trad contest.
A combination of all of the above. The prompt is simply "Best use of pattern".

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
but the higher the degree of difficulty.

Based on the above, I should win.

Most entries were "safe", some were ballsy but didn't make the cut. I believe I pulled off the most difficult usage of pattern mixing, as, while "the rules" would dictate it is wrong, I made it look so right.
smile.gif

My camera, or lack thereof, did the contest a huge injustice. My apologies.

Brownshoe

Reaction score
I think the chap in the glasses looks like a nice young man. I'd vote for him if he were running for Dogcatcher.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just looked at it again some random thoughts on the Degree of Diffculty and avoiding solids and using 4 distinct patterns: You are all Winners, shouldn't they all get a square? Some random thoughts and IMO, feel free and disagree:

Overall Look Winner: A. Harris
I voted for A. Harris earlier although technically it's not a true 4 distinct patterns, the tie and jacket are similarly striped; but I like it the most and he does avoid the use of a solid as a pattern. Camera God doesn't hurt

Degree of Difficulty Winner: Baron
Baron uses all 4 seperate and distinct patterns and does it extremely well; but pairs a silk with a silk no biggie and it looks great. Avoids the use of solid which wins points with me. I think Baron achieves the highest level of difficulty with elegance with really distinct/seperate patterns.
worship.gif

2nd BrisBos and Master Shake:
BB:If a patterned square he is completely there. I love the design of his square fold. I can't fold, so he wins the coolest fold
MS: does a high degree of difficulty here.

Implied Rules Winner and High Degree of Difficulty: ED
Ed uses all 4 seperate and distinct patterns and pairs a linen square with a silk tie and avoids the use of a solid assuming one does not consider the sqaure a stripe to his stripe shirt. Now that's hard to do.
worship.gif
So he should win points by really sticking to the idea of 4 seperate patterns and the idea of opposing textures: silk and linen for example.

2nd:Matt
does all the above as Ed, but I'm not feeling that square. But he's uses 4 seperate patterns without a doubt unless you consider his tie similar to his jacket but it's different enough to warrant a seperate patten to me. Also his stuff fits the best Best fit winner
wink.gif

Best use of socks as a pattern Winner: Brownshoe
I really like brownshoes socks they really compliment his outfit and tie it together. Trad Winner
wink.gif

Best Corporate Exec Look:
Cravate_Noire
Not complex though: stripe suit, shirt and a solid square.
But damn if he doesn't look like he should be at the podium.

Best Use of Pants as a Pattern Winner:
MC

G79

Reaction score
Voting for Cravate_Noire

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by G79
Voting for Cravate_Noire

+1. For me, the combination of a lot of patterns and still looking simple makes it.
Plus I'm Francophile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads