• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zotta vs French American reweaving: Is one better or cheaper?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Folks:

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere:

I'm wondering if anyone is cheaper than Zotta. I use her squad and they are great, but the charges are getting crazy.

Now, when I spot a hole, the next thing I see is 50 and 100 dollar bills fluttering around the room and out the window.

Is French-American any cheaper?

Are there any other alternatives in NYC?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Zotta is cheaper than French American. I don't know of any other weavers in NYC that I would trust. Although, I had a pair of new pants with a small hole (a few centimeters wide) right below the waistband that I had taken to Zotta and she quoted me 60 or 70 dollars. I declined, took the pants to Wilfreds to get hemmed and I showed them the hole and asked if they could put a small patch from the excess cuff fabric. They said they's take care of it. I was expecting to see a small patch, instead, I could show you the pants right now and you'd never be able to tell where the hole was. I can't even tell. Cost was zero. Don't know if they reweaved or patched it from the interior somehow but I see no sewing or anything anywhere near where the hole was.

Grateful

Reaction score
I did a lot of research comparing reviews for re-weavers across the US, focusing on Zotta vs French-American Re-Weavers in NYC. I found a review mentioning Alice Zotta being in an assisted living facility and the state of her business in the care of others. The reviews were not good. They referenced the quality of the work and waiting long periods of time for the return of their garments or having to ask for the status of the repair after weeks or months had passed. I chose French-American Re-Weavers in NYC. I called Ron Moore at French-American and arranged to mail my husband's damaged suit pants to him for evaluation and repair, as I live in the Midwest. The suit pants were damaged when a local tailor let out the seam line along the rear rise and tore small holes in the fabric as the seam was released. Ron called me upon receiving the suit and quoted me a price for the repair. The total cost (including shipping both ways w/insurance) for repairing several holes ranging from small to about 1/2 cm was about $150. I mailed off a check and shortly thereafter received the suit via UPS. If the repair site had not been marked with red basting thread I would not have been able to see the repair. It was astonishing. The underside of the fabric shows a delicate and beautiful reweaving of threads that is the work of an artist. I have sewn clothing and done alterations all of my life and appreciate and recognize masterful craftsmanship. Considering the quality and size of the repair, the cost of the work was very low. I called Ron to thank him. He is quite funny and gracious. I highly recommend French-American Re-Weavers in New York City and will be sending any future re-weaving work there without hesitation. You should do the same.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for starting this, mack. I tore a 2cm hole in a sweater that I like repaired. Casual sweater so I'm not too concerned about perfection. Best person for that?

Anyone use these guys:
SUPERIOR WEAVING AND MENDING COMPANY,
41 Union Square West, Suite 423 (near 17th Street and Broadway),
New York 10003
(212) 929-7208

lefty

amishsteve

Reaction score
I used to use Superior Weave about 20 plus years ago when I was living in NYC. They were pretty reasonable and I could run my stuff into their 'offices'.

I called them about two years ago to get a quote for a pair of gray flannel pants w/ a 1/8th inch hole. The quote was $150. And that was from the owner. Outrageous.

I eventually found a woman in the midwest who trained out of work women to microweave. She was extremely reasonable. I think the cost was more like $50.00 for the 1/8th inch repair. She was not as great as Superior I have to admit, but w/o knowing and looking closely, you'd never be able to tell there had been a repair. I unfortunately cannot find the name of the place I used. But the moral of the story is there are more then two companies that provide this service.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recent recommendations for a moth hole in a suit?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recent experience with a mending/reweaving? I got a large rip in my pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads