• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYT Article - Looking Like A Billion Bucks - Spring '08

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yeayea
Ive been books like "On Being a Man" by Sam Keen and "Iron John" by Robery Bly lately -

Heres the premise in brief:

- Beginning with the Industrial Revolution, boys have spent consistently less and less time in the presence of men as mentors, as their fathers moved from farming and the trades to the office

- Men spent 9 to 5 in the office and came home exhausted and watched TV, rather than mentoring the boys

- Women became more of a role model as they were the prominent figure in the home

- The sexual revolution of the 60s allowed women to enter the world of men (work and the office) and men to wear long hair a be sensitive (hippies)

- The culture of war has moved from the battlefields to the boardroom (manhood obtained by climbing the corporate ladder)

- Popular western culture lacks the ritual "rites of passage" towards manhood that were used in cultures of the past. What has replaced them (military bootcamp, fraternity hazing, binge drinking) are weak substitutes and have little to do with actual manhood

The result? A generation of indecisive men ("i dont know honey, what do YOU want to do tonight?")

Modern trends in fashion (Peter Pan: the boy who refused to grow up) only reflect this trend in our popular culture.

teacha.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

yeayea

Reaction score
Modern trends in fashion (Peter Pan: the boy who refused to grow up) only reflect this trend in our popular culture.
Well.. I added that last part. The books dont get into fashion. For the record, Im certainly no fashion critic or historian, but thought it would make an interesting hypothesis given the theme of the article. Anyway, it perfectly coincided with these rather profound books ive been reading lately on manhood and the role of modern man in society, particularly the whole Peter Pan comment.

ineffable

Reaction score
by your estimation, generations of men before us should have been indecisive pansies too.

hmmm.. no, don't think so. things tend to be more complicated than that.

i would look for some new reading material.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well.. I added that last part. The books dont get into fashion.

For the record, Im certainly no fashion critic or historian, but thought it would make an interesting hypothesis given the theme of the article. Anyway, it perfectly coincided with these rather profound books ive been reading lately on manhood and the role of modern man in society, particularly the whole Peter Pan comment.

Well I do agree that the current 18-25 year olds that I am exposed to (urban, well heeled, too much time/money on their hands), both in the real world and the virtual one, are the biggest bunch of pussies I've ever seen. Some of the crap that these kids complain about now would have gotten me a good firm smack across the face from my old man. Also, while I dress bolder/louder/worst than many, some of these current outfits (stovepipe jeans that that split your nuts at the crotch, belly baring tees on men) would also garner me a good beating, and rightfully so.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Go shoot guns, train in MMA/NHB and make love to one's wife/girlfriend like a bull.

Then one can still feel manly in sartorial splendor. Or would it be over-compensation?

ineffable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Well I do agree that the current 18-25 year olds that I am exposed to (urban, well heeled, too much time/money on their hands), both in the real world and the virtual one, are the biggest bunch of pussies I've ever seen. Some of the crap that these kids complain about now would have gotten me a good firm smack across the face from my old man. Also, while I dress bolder/louder/worst than many, some of these current outfits (stovepipe jeans that that split your nuts at the crotch, belly baring tees on men) would also garner me a good beating, and rightfully so.

conne left a deep, lasting impression?

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The major point of iron john as i see it, havinf read it a about 4 year ago, was that there is a lack of confirmation of the masculine identity fior niehter the the society or the person himself. He list many causes for this blah blah, But he is using a his conecpet of what man is and should be, thus to accept his arguemnt as valid u must accept his concpet of masculinity, which I honestly think that Bly contests that it is something natural and static. But If you take a different outlook that the masculine identity is defined by the culture and is dynamic the same model to acheive Manhood or the ideal maculine identitity, according to Bly, may not be the same nor even apply.

an example 30 years ago in most western societies all men at one point in their lives were part of the military for a minimum of one year in germany it is still required , though has changed slightly so as to allow civl service as an option. But that right of passage stilll existed to a point in most of the western world as well as other small tradition hunting if you had the means to do so etc. These things by and large have been left behind for the most part so the masculine identity must change as well .

Or consider it in another light maybe the road to manhood no longer has discrete values but has continues values.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The major point of iron john as i see it, havinf read it a about 4 year ago, was that there is a lack of confirmation of the masculine identity fior niehter the the society or the person himself. He list many causes for this blah blah, But he is using a his conecpet of what man is and should be, thus to accept his arguemnt as valid u must accept his concpet of masculinity, which I honestly think that Bly contests that it is something natural and static. But If you take a different outlook that the masculine identity is defined by the culture and is dynamic the same model to acheive Manhood or the ideal maculine identitity, according to Bly, may not be the same nor even apply.

an example 30 years ago in most western societies all men at one point in their lives were part of the military for a minimum of one year in germany it is still required , though has changed slightly so as to allow civl service as an option. But that right of passage stilll existed to a point in most of the western world as well as other small tradition hunting if you had the means to do so etc. These things by and large have been left behind for the most part so the masculine identity must change as well .

Or consider it in another light maybe the road to manhood no longer has discrete values but has continues values.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

now off to a party

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads