• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your 1st pair of EG, JL, Vass... what, where and when

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zegnamtl
First pair of EG were MTO Newbury at the Uomo Montreal trunk show.
To date, the best fitting shoes I own.

Yeah...but don't stop now.
smile.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Our Tramezza collections seem to look very similar. I wear my Merald2 more than any other shoes I own (in fact, at one point I was considering buying a second pair so that I don't wear through the first pair). Too bad I can't find more Tramezza in my size on ebay or the outlets and have to resort to buying EGs.

My Merald2s aren't my most frequently worn shoes, since that honor belongs to my EG Dovers, but I keep going back to them. They've given me an enduring love of monkstraps. It is indeed a shame that Tramezzas seem rare on ebay and their retail price has apparently skyrocketed, but there are worse things to wear than EGs.
smile.gif

Andrew, my EG Dovers and the Ferragamos are in my regular rotation and get worn at least every two weeks, sometimes much more often. The Grenson Stowes are my go-to black business shoes, but I don't wear any of my black shoes very often.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
First pair of Church's: Black 'Balmoral' cap-toe oxfords, 73 last, in 1998 for 629,- guilders in Maastricht, the Netherlands;
First pair of EG: Dark Oak 'Chelsea' cap-toe oxfords, 202 last, on june 1st, 2002, for € 635,- in Maastricht, the Netherlands;
First (and only) pair of AE: White buck 'Orlean' derbies, on may 27th, 2003, for approx. $ 230,- in the AE-store on Newbury St., Boston, Ma.;
First (and only) pair of Santoni: Darkbrown suède chukka-boots, on june 12th, 2004, for € 349,-, in The Hague, the Netherlands.

Spoilt ever after that first pair of Church's...

All are still in my rotation, although I fear that my Church's have suffered some severe scratches along the way. They're still presentable and wearable under a suit, but I would hesitate to wear them under a dinner jacket.

MtB

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First pair of EG's - RLPL Peerings, black First pair of Lobb's - Langtons, pewter museum First pair of Vass - Maybe soon
smile.gif

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmm...

1st pair of Lobbs were Campus, 93 or 94 iirc from the Hermes store on 57th (1st pair of Westons were model #598 around the same time period when the Weston store was on 57th).

Never had Vass or EG (although I beleive the Lobbs were made by EG at one point).

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ist pair of bpought captoes on eBay. Probably my most comfortable shoes.

2nd Pair of Truro monks too big sold to SFer

3rd Pair Monmouths from Odoreater and loving them.

888style

Reaction score
Firsts....

Edward Green - Berkeley 202, Dark Oak Antique, 2000, at the old Burlington Arcade shop in London.
Crockett & Jones - Tetbury, Blue Suede, 2007, Sir Max in Amsterdam.
Vass - Monkstrap U Last, Dark Blue, 2009, Vass shop Haris Köz 2 in Budapest.
Barker Black - Archdale, Ebay.

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
Firsts:

EG - MTO Walcot, 82, black calf, 2008, from Tom @ LeatherSoul
St. Crispins - Model 215, classic last, 606 crust leather, 2009
Koronya - dark cognac wholecut, 2009

All outstanding

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LynahFaithful
Firsts:

EG - MTO Walcot, 82, black calf, 2008, from Tom @ LeatherSoul
St. Crispins - Model 215, classic last, 606 crust leather, 2009
Koronya - dark cognac wholecut, 2009

All outstanding

show the st. crispins and koronya

LynahFaithful

Reaction score

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'm glad this thread got resurrected. now i can play! first EG - burnt pine Chelseas from Jay Kos first John Lobb - dark brown Vintage 2007's from Neiman Marcus first Vass - burgundy U-last austerity brogue from kolecho <--
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
come to think of it, these three shoes plus a pair of black Becketts were the carefully-selected foundation of my SF-approved shoe wardrobe back then.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Started with C&J handgrade in September, got another, and then got the EG Claverton on Monday.

It expected to be underwhelmed, but EG is a real step up from C&J.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads