• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

wireartists

Reaction score
none of those items is a fake, seriously. I don't have time but i can even tell you season and all are runway pieces. Even that "fake" item that showed up before seemed genuine to me. There is no fake YYPH, nor hype about the brand. Only hype is what we created on Y! and ebay a bunch of people here and there.

about the spelling, there are always faulty batches I guess. Even a ss09 suit had PDH instead of PHD embroidered in every unit of that piece-

Last edited:

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also found this jacket with the suspect label:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YOHJI-YAMAM...h=item3a7efe8631&ssPageName=RSS:B:SHOP:US:101

Also, it's hard to tell, but it looks like that zippered bomber has riri zippers, which are pretty $$$ to put be putting on a fake.... Of course they could also be knock off riris lol

I agree with wire, I don't think there are any fakes. That jacket that came up before had a weird tag, looked very strange to me, but otherwise I'm not sure it actually was a faked item or if someone just messed with the tag.

Those first pieces are these:

aw01 coat -

iconic aw91 zipper jacket, similar to this:

that third jacket is also real, I've seen several in person. It could be from aw95 rokumeikan collection I guess?

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
honestly, i think yohji would be one of the most annoying brands to fake because of all the quirky little hidden details he puts in his works. it also has a relatively small following compared to the big labels. though to be fair, i have handled very few yohji pieces, so the other far more knowledgeable members can probably chime in more on that count.

Last edited:

davidlee388

Reaction score

none of those items is a fake, seriously. I don't have time but i can even tell you season and all are runway pieces. Even that "fake" item that showed up before seemed genuine to me. There is no fake YYPH, nor hype about the brand. Only hype is what we created on Y! and ebay a bunch of people here and there.

about the spelling, there are always faulty batches I guess. Even a ss09 suit had PDH instead of PHD embroidered in every unit of that piece-

I have seen the Runway pic of the AW91 zipper blouson before, I couldn't recognise the AW01 coat so apologies for that. However I have yet come across a defective grey YYPH tag on a truly genuine piece so unless I can handle the piece in person and/or know the seller well, I'll still be hesitant to take the plunge for an auction... Still have more faith in Y! than eBay I'm afraid. Also if those pieces with the defective tags are genuine, then they may be even more collectible and command higher premiums!

The SS09 PDH suit could be PHD on purpose haha, PHD = Doctor, he did do a Dr YY suit so you never know lol.

Last edited:

dantebykiko

Reaction score
i've seen numeric black tags sewn to the label in two or three on-line occasions. same as the one arche has. i don't think there are any yohji fakes as to start producing knock-offs you need to produce couple of hundreds maybe thousand.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
so confusing haha this would easily be settled by showing the tags to the senior staff in any of the boutiques, no ? surely in their 15-20+ years something like this if legit would have come up.

anyway asobu has a pm he needs to respond to :)

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
it's still a nice one though , perhaps for the missus ;-)

this pic lol

Last edited:

Arche

Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree that it seems unlikely that there would be much financial sense in faking YYPH, especially to a quality high enough that it could pass for the real thing.

On another note, I recently managed to buy a pair of YYPH trousers to match that "baroque" AW 2006 jacket I showed a while back. They just arrived this morning and they are fabulous: size 4, incredibly soft wool flannel, a nice taper, and an interesting high-waisted cut, with two fly buttons above the zipper. I'm not sure if they are the exact trousers worn with the jacket on the runway, but they are definitely the same fabric. Now I have to get invited to some royal courts to justify wearing something so extravagant! Here are a few fit pics:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads