• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

www.ehaberdasher.com - affiliate page

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I too would love a deconstructed option: it's been hitting 100 almost daily for the last 2 weeks around here.

Going completely the other direction: any further thought on a Benjamin overcoat for this winter?  I'd certainly be game, especially if there was a double breasted navy with the kind of value your sportcoats offer.

I say keep the half canvas construction and use light linen based fabrics instead.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The biggest gain in terms of making a jacket suitable for warm weather is removal of lining. Next is type of fabric weave (porous and open is better, of course), last would be having an unstructured construction. But by then you have a rather shapeless jacket, probably. I have several quarter lined jackets in wool and they work very well when the temp and humidity go up.

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Kent Wang disagrees. From this blog post: http://kentwang.tumblr.com/tagged/unstructured

Ben, if you don't want me linking to a competitor's post in the thread, I'm happy to delete the post.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha! I haven't done precise measurements, of course, just my impression. Maybe it's due to my jackets being also quarter not half lined and having light half canvas...not sure. But Kent and I agree on the last point at least, that unstructured wool jackets tend to look sloppy. ;)

JMSuter

Reaction score
Just received my Benjamin Nobile suit in 45/46R, it fits very well before tailoring. Got here two days after my order; fantastic.

Button Issues:

Before I go to the tailor, I noticed that I dont care for the buttons, and that the coat's sleeves have no buttons! Can anyone recommend an e-tailer for buying real horn buttons? And in what sizes/how many? Totally new to suits and gentlemanning here.

I presume my tailor make button holes in the sleeves for this Benjamin?

Edit: Also, since my suit is a dark charcoal; I should look for a black/gray patterned bone button, correct?

Double Edit: found these buttons. https://bennosbuttons.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5603

Last edited:

yanagi

Reaction score

Just received my Benjamin Nobile suit in 45/46R, it fits very well before tailoring. Got here two days after my order; fantastic.

Button Issues:

Before I go to the tailor, I noticed that I dont care for the buttons, and that the coat's sleeves have no buttons! Can anyone recommend an e-tailer for buying real horn buttons? And in what sizes/how many? Totally new to suits and gentlemanning here.

Edit: Also, since my suit is a dark charcoal; I should look for a black/gray patterned bone button, correct? 

Double Edit: found these buttons. https://bennosbuttons.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5603

The Benjamin Sartorial suits have unfinished sleeves. Compared to the alternatives (finished sleeves with buttons, finished sleeves with working buttonholes), this is the easiest for your tailor to alter.

eHaberdasher sells horn buttons. I haven't bought a set myself, though.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Button Issues:

Double Edit: found these buttons. https://bennosbuttons.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5603

Check the pockets, there should be buttons there. The tailor would not likely make holes, they'd just be sown onto the sleeves, unless you ask the tailor to make functional buttonholes, which would be more expensive and frankly, not worth it. Also, Ben sells buttons as well, only one kind, though I think, horn. Check the website.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Not to throw too much out there, but if you're looking at full canvas options, what about also looking at a fully deconstructed option? Those of us in mega-hot climates would be appreciative.

I too would love a deconstructed option: it's been hitting 100 almost daily for the last 2 weeks around here.

I'll ask the new factory, but I seldom (maybe 3 requests - you guys included) have gotten this request.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Going completely the other direction: any further thought on a Benjamin overcoat for this winter?  I'd certainly be game, especially if there was a double breasted navy with the kind of value your sportcoats offer.

Yes have been working on this also but this has taken a backseat to the jackets and suits for the time being. Stay tuned!

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

For what it's worth, Kent Wang disagrees.

Ben, if you don't want me linking to a competitor's post in the thread, I'm happy to delete the post.

That's okay. I'd be a fool to think forum members are unaware of other affiliate vendors like Kent Wang, who appears to offer a great product as well, albeit a bit higher priced.... I also do tend to think that deconstructed probably has it's place, but it does tend to look more on the sloppy side imo and I'm not a huge fan of deconstructed tbh. It's not high on my priority list at this time, but I will look into it.

Last edited:

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Check the pockets, there should be buttons there. The tailor would not likely make holes, they'd just be sown onto the sleeves, unless you ask the tailor to make functional buttonholes, which would be more expensive and frankly, not worth it. Also, Ben sells buttons as well, only one kind, though I think, horn. Check the website.

Yes @JMSuter please let us know if you don't find the buttons in the inside breast pocket - they ought to be there, and for what it's worth the buttons are genuine corozo - not cheap plastic buttons. However as @yanagi kindly pointed out we do have polished dark brown horn sets as well which are are linked to in his message.

The Benjamin Sartorial suits have unfinished sleeves. Compared to the alternatives (finished sleeves with buttons, finished sleeves with working buttonholes), this is the easiest for your tailor to alter.

eHaberdasher sells horn buttons. I haven't bought a set myself, though.

thedesi

Reaction score
New to full canvas game and had been doing thorough research and based on advise from several got myself suit from ehaberdasher. I got my delivery of navy plaid Nobile model in 38 yesterday. Construction feels fantastic but the fit is too tight...pants are too tight at hip but jacket seems to have a bubble at chest and short collar reveals the shirt collar fully. Appreciate if there is any advise if I should size up or return. Will post pictures ..

Last edited:

Andolin

Reaction score
Don't suppose anyone has pictures of them wearing some of the Bella Spalla trousers? I'm considering ordering some, but I'd be wearing them in a casual context without a sports coat, so I'm not sure if they'll work. Thanks.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's okay. I'd be a fool to think forum members are unaware of other affiliate vendors like Kent Wang, who appears to offer a great product as well, albeit a bit higher priced.... I also do tend to think that deconstructed probably has it's place, but it does tend to look more on the sloppy side imo and I'm not a huge fan of deconstructed tbh. It's not high on my priority list at this time, but I will look into it.

Very true. Personally not a fan of the unstructured and floppy Kent Wang look. It has its time and place, but it's certainly not for everyone.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

New to full canvas game and had been doing thorough research and based on advise from several got myself suit from ehaberdasher. I got my delivery of navy plaid Nobile model in 38 yesterday. Construction feels fantastic but the fit is too tight...pants are too tight at hip but jacket seems to have a bubble at chest and short collar reveals the shirt collar fully. Appreciate if there is any advise if I should size up or return. Will post pictures ..

Sounds too tight all around... maybe go up a size? Please do send pics if/when you get a chance.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuricG