• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

www.ehaberdasher.com - affiliate page

Sudonihm

Reaction score

A couple thoughts:

• I like the lapels at 9cm. Wouldn't change to 9.5cm.
  • Putting in another vote for a 3-roll-2 front, and half-canvas instead of completely unstructured.
  • I'm in for one of the navy summer fabrics, probably the wool.
  • Interested in the fall/winter navy Marlane, too. While I think a later MTO batch for it makes sense, a July delivery ensures it will be ready for the colder months.
  • Also interested in the fresco trousers, both colors. I just got some birthday cash, Ben, and it looks like you're getting almost all of it. :embar:
  • Love the idea of Bella Spalla suits, but I'd rather have plainer fabrics.

Other than the birthday cash, I agree with all of this.:worship2:

Last edited:

mxtwoforty

Reaction score
Ben - How do the Bella Spalla Flannels fit (specifically around the seat and thigh) as compared to your Benjamin trousers?

Last edited:

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

A couple thoughts:

• I like the lapels at 9cm. Wouldn't change to 9.5cm.
  • Putting in another vote for a 3-roll-2 front, and half-canvas instead of completely unstructured.
  • I'm in for one of the navy summer fabrics, probably the wool.
  • Interested in the fall/winter navy Marlane, too. While I think a later MTO batch for it makes sense, a July delivery ensures it will be ready for the colder months.
  • Also interested in the fresco trousers, both colors. I just got some birthday cash, Ben, and it looks like you're getting almost all of it. :embar:
  • Love the idea of Bella Spalla suits, but I'd rather have plainer fabrics.

Thanks for weighing in. All of the above is what I've decided to do anyhow. I spoke with the factory and they would have to make me samples of the unstructured, which would set us back several weeks more, but they feel comfortable doing the 3 roll 2 enough so that I shouldn't need a sample made.

I've also decided to hold off on the suits for now. I'm hoping to really stick with fully canvassed for suits as that's where you can really feel the difference greatly. Still working on a factory in Italy to do it too, although I'm hoping to have some for the Sartorial Collection for Summer/Fall.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Ben - How do the Bella Spalla Flannels fit (specifically around the seat and thigh) as compared to your Benjamin trousers? 

Fit is very similar to the Benjamin Sartorial (on the slimmer side), but the rise is just slightly longer in the Bella Spalla. I'm very pleased with them and we have started to sell a few already so we're looking forward to the feedback. Fabrics are great.

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ben, just got my bella spalla jacket in: it's beautiful.

I like the suggested changes, above.

Additionally, is there any chance of opening the quarters up a bit? I'll snap a picture later, but with a Long the very closed quarters look, well, very long. Just a thought. :slayer:

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Ben, just got my bella spalla jacket in: it's beautiful.

I like the suggested changes, above.

Additionally, is there any chance of opening the quarters up a bit? I'll snap a picture later, but with a Long the very closed quarters look, well, very long. Just a thought. :slayer:

I'm sure we can tweak this for you. Anyone else care to weigh in on the quarters situation and/or anything else? I didn't think they were that closed, but wouldn't mind opening them up a bit more if you all feel the same way.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ben - an idea for you: I've long lost track of how the various Benjamin's sizing have been tweaked and I see you regularly having to re-educate people on changes (proposed or actual) to the line.

Why not adopt something like a simple versioning, maybe Benjamin Sartoriale v1, v2, maybe 2016SS, 2016FW, etc. Then it's easy to reference not only the line, but the specific version of it (Oh, that's from 2015FW which had +1 this, -.5 that) . Even better, if you kept a log/blog along with it, it would be easy to just point people at it ("see the 2015FW entry"). Having the blog in a single place would immensely help for questions about context of what changed from when ("see the 2016SS entry which lists the changes from the 2015FW model")

That probably sounds like more work up, but it's only on the front-side - I suspect you'd save a lot of hand-cut responses in the long run by just pointing people at it.

ps - opportunity: if the blog included photos/info/insights as to why you decided on the changes from one version to the next, it would not only be a great reference but a great read too.

jamesmullen

Reaction score
Ben,

Exactly what measurements will we need if we choose to go the MTO route on the summer coats? I'd like to get those taken in advance for convenience's sake.

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awful picture of a beautiful jacket, but I think it conveys what I'm saying re the quarters.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Awful picture of a beautiful jacket, but I think it conveys what I'm saying re the quarters.

It is a great jacket, and I am glad mine just arrived :)

It doesn't look long and stiff (which imho is often the result of closed quarters), unless you compare it with too short and too tight modern cut jackets.

Having said that a slight opening of the quarters would be ok with me, just not too aggressive, please.

On an unrelated note, I wanted to second @razl's point about a short guide to different models that would account for the small season-season adjustments. The jackets I received today fit well and I'd love to use them as references for other models you have available.

Lastly: thanks for the jackets, Ben! The Zegna/Cucinelli fabric is like soft butter...

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Ben - an idea for you: I've long lost track of how the various Benjamin's sizing have been tweaked and I see you regularly having to re-educate people on changes (proposed or actual) to the line.

Why not adopt something like a simple versioning, maybe Benjamin Sartoriale v1, v2, maybe 2016SS, 2016FW, etc. Then it's easy to reference not only the line, but the specific version of it (Oh, that's from 2015FW which had +1 this, -.5 that) . Even better, if you kept a log/blog along with it, it would be easy to just point people at it ("see the 2015FW entry"). Having the blog in a single place would immensely help for questions about context of what changed from when ("see the 2016SS entry which lists the changes from the 2015FW model")

That probably sounds like more work up, but it's only on the front-side - I suspect you'd save a lot of hand-cut responses in the long run by just pointing people at it.

ps - opportunity: if the blog included photos/info/insights as to why you decided on the changes from one version to the next, it would not only be a great reference but a great read too.

Thanks for your input, and you're right in that a reference for the models on the site is long overdue... just not sure how best to incorporate that although I suppose it can be in more than one place. I guess my only excuse is that I have so many other things going on that I haven't taken the time to do these 2nd tier projects. I have had in mind to incorporate a blog in the site and will probably focus on that as a good place for reference... perhaps later this summer. But thanks for the feedback and the gentle nudge to prioritise this!

Right now we are working on consolidating the same item in different sizes into a single item showing on the site. You will now find this to be the case with all of the Benjamin suits, trousers, and we are almost done with the sport coats, and will start on the shirts next week. You will also see the Sutor Mantellassi shoes in the same format as well - all to make navigating the sight (hopefully) a bit easier.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Ben,

Exactly what measurements will we need if we choose to go the MTO route on the summer coats? I'd like to get those taken in advance for convenience's sake.

These are not mead to measure, these are made to order, so they are in our own stock size... have you worn the Bella Spalla before?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michael13