• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW Chan Shanghai Suit Results

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am surprised Chan can be that bad even with few proper fittings. I have heard Chan Shanghai is even better than the HK one.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Putting aside fit, isn't Chan supposed to be a great value? $2,200 for a HS Super 100s doesn't seem that much of a bargain (even if the fit was spot on).

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Putting aside fit, isn't Chan supposed to be a great value? $2,200 for a HS Super 100s doesn't seem that much of a bargain (even if the fit was spot on).

Due to price rises the last few years Chan is not such great value anymore especially when you pick the more expensive fabrics such as Holland and sherry.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They never was anyway.

davdh

Reaction score
I emailed Fiona about the alterations, and she replied with this:

Quote: Thank you for your email and sorry for not replying you sooner.

Noted and we propose the appointment time at [time and place]. Please confirm if this is suitable.

Regarding the alternation for the suit you made in our Shanghai shop,please note the alternation will be done by the Shanghai shop as it's made by them and there's alternation fee. We could only check the alternation for you during the meeting and you need to ship back the suit to the below address in Hong Kong in my signature. We will forward the suit to our Shanghai shop for alternation once received it from you.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Best regards

Fiona Lam

Sales Department - Hong Kong

W. W. CHAN & CO., LTD.

Considering the bad experience I had with the Shanghai shop, I really don't want them doing my alterations. I'm going to try asking if it's possible for them to do it in Hong Kong. Should I send the pictures over to try and convince her?

Also, I think it's unreasonable that they expect me to pay charges for the alterations. What do you guys think? This suit was ordered less than a month ago, so it's certainly not like my body shape has changed. Considering how poorly they've done, I think it's only reasonable that they cover the alteration charge (of course, I'll pay for the shipping).

Last edited:

hymo

Reaction score
Once they see that the alterations are necessitated by their fault, not the customer's taste, I'm pretty sure they will waive it.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So they won't do the alterations at their HK shop, as they didn't make it. You have to get it to HK, then they forward it on to Shanghai. Doesn't seem to be very satisfactory, and on top of that they're charging you for their screw-up.

I wonder if Chan Shanghai is a franchise, and is not actually owned by W. W. CHAN & CO., LTD. Many retail business' in the Mainland are operated as franchises, often franchised from HK companies. Maybe Sam's Tailor Shanghai is a franchise as well.

Last edited:

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somebody from the Chan family operates the Shanghai shop I believe. I think it's unreasonable they're charging you for alterations that are a result of their mistakes especially if you paid, as you said, 2200 USD.

Regarding the alterations policy -- where you have the suit altered where you buy it from -- sounds reasonable and it's not hard to see why given the logistical issues etc. This isn't a branch in the same country. They're in different countries, no less.

Last edited:

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
These are cutting problems, not necessarily workmanship problems, so the shop that does the work is not nearly as important as the person doing the fitting. If you get a better fitter to look at this and give instructions to the shop on what needs to be done then there should be no problem having it done in Shanghai versus HK.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks so off that it makes me wonder if you aren't just standing funny for the camera.

If not, here's what I see:

1. Jacket front balance too short and rear balance too long.
2. Sleeve pitch is off or rear balance is too long.
3. Pants hem and rear balance are both too long.

It looks like a random off-the-rack suit. Virtually nothing is right that should be. Definitely needs attention.

+2, I am afraid.

Also, while the Chan operation gets lots of praise here, I think it's really Patrick who should be taking care of you.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So they won't do the alterations at their HK shop, as they didn't make it. You have to get it to HK, then they forward it on to Shanghai. Doesn't seem to be very satisfactory, and on top of that they're charging you for their screw-up.

I wonder if Chan Shanghai is a franchise, and is not actually owned by W. W. CHAN & CO., LTD. Many retail business' in the Mainland are operated as franchises, often franchised from HK companies. Maybe Sam's Tailor Shanghai is a franchise as well.

It is cleared that the Shanghai operation is under the direct bloodline of the grandmaster Chan, such can't be a franchise.
Still, I have thought real Shanghai si-fu is meant to be far superior than the HK one.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

These are cutting problems, not necessarily workmanship problems, so the shop that does the work is not nearly as important as the person doing the fitting. If you get a better fitter to look at this and give instructions to the shop on what needs to be done then there should be no problem having it done in Shanghai versus HK.

+1 on this

shoeme

Reaction score
Can you remember who took your measurements and fitted you? There are two tailors in the Maoming shop -one is called Mr. Bao (I have good experience with him). A friend is getting fitted with the other one, and the fitting today seemed to go very well. Cant remember his name, but neither of them speak any English. The one today can manage a few words. When you were fitted, did someone translate for you? I have seen that if there is no translator nearby, and you cannot get your message across well, its hit and miss.

CaymanS

Reaction score
I'm reminded of the time :foo: sent his one-button LH jackets back to Mariano to have additional buttons added and instead of adding buttons and buttonholes, Mariano refaced the jackets - entirely. At no cost to :foo:.

Contrast that with an offer to do alterations to a bespoke garment with obvious, significant flaws...at your cost.

You get what you pay for.

davdh

Reaction score
Can you remember who took your measurements and fitted you? There are two tailors in the Maoming shop -one is called Mr. Bao (I have good experience with him). A friend is getting fitted with the other one, and the fitting today seemed to go very well. Cant remember his name, but neither of them speak any English. The one today can manage a few words. When you were fitted, did someone translate for you? I have seen that if there is no translator nearby, and you cannot get your message across well, its hit and miss.

The first fitting was done with the older gentleman, the second and third was with the younger one. At pickup, the older gentleman came out to have a look, and he was the one who said the wrinkles were "no big deal".

I actually speak Chinese fairly well, so I didn't require any translation at all. The fitters and I understood each other fine, but they just insisted that the problems were natural to any garment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads