• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GROOM SUIT IN HONG KONG: ARMOURY RING JACKET OR BESPOKE WW CHAN

Jenderlu

Reaction score
Getting married and I love the style of the Armoury Ring Jacket AMJ03 in Navy. It's pretty much got all the things I'm looking for in my wedding suit: Full canvas, WIDE (9cm) hand-stitched lapels, half-lined, no shoulder pads. I live in Hong Kong and I tried the suit in their landmark store the other day and I need very minimal alteration and it costs about 12,000 HKD (1700 USD) which is within my budget 10-12k HKD. Of course, I've always wanted a fully bespoke suit, let alone one from WW chan but I could never justify it. I have gotten MTM suits from local tailor before but never had my own pattern drawn up - a dream! My normal budgets for suits are 3-5k and if I don't get a bespoke suit this time I probably won't in the future as I don't wear suits that much.

I went in the other day and starting prices have gone up from 12k to 14k HKD now. They first showed me Scabal fabrics which would cost me 20k. I asked them to show me their more economic options and I picked out a Dugdale Bros New Fine Worsted which would cost 15k HKD for a 2 piece suit. I would ask to get one made similar to the Italian inspired Armoury Ring Jacket. It seems a lot of details have been perfected on the Armoury Ring Jacket and I am wondering if a bespoke suit will noticeably fit me that much better.

I've also read mixed reviews of WW Chan's travelling tailor but I live in HK so I can get the multiple fittings required to get things dialled in right. I'm very torn between getting a well fitted off the rack with (4-ply) Vitale Barberis Canonico fabric, or spending a bit outside my budget and getting the bespoke experience from WW Chan with seemingly inferior fabric without any guarantees they can pull of something as good as the Armoury Ring Jacket. Your thoughts very much appreciated! This is my first SF post!

Link to the aforementioned 4-ply Navy Armoury Ring Jacket.
https://thearmoury.com/products/ring-jacket-4-ply-tropical-wool-core-amj03-suit?variant=37837806095

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 1.08.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 1.36.39 AM.png

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics